Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Justin Fox's Fluval Edge 2 - New Video Page 15!

justinfox

Cheers guys! Will definitely get Ved from Selectnine over to shoot another video when it all grows out! Perhaps a 1 year video would be good!

I've removed the xenia in the back left corner (I've put it in my Nuvo 16), it had already attached itself to my rockwork back there so I had to literally rip it out, and in doing so a small amount of xenia is now starting to grow off the rocks lol. All good!

I also took out the leather, it too is now in my Nuvo 16.

I've also found the culprits as to why I have a coral piece on the sandbed every now and then, it was the Nerite snails! They're so strong lol, and every now and then they knock corals off the rockwork. Both snails have been moved to the Nuvo too.

• Like 6

I've finally pulled the trigger on a Redline Cleaner Shrimp! These guys are VERY expensive in Australia. I've wanted one for years, but back then they were hard to come by and fetched crazy prices. Even now I've seen them for sale at $160, $150 most of the time.

Adam, the guy I buy my natural sea water off (he delivers!), put one up on his facebook page for $100 and now he's mine!

redline.jpgHey little guy!

dripkit.jpgI had all intentions to use this kit to acclimate the redline, but Adam insisted that he should be fine as we both use the exact same water in our tanks. I'll use it for snails in future though.

The redline has been in the tank since this morning (about 6hrs now) and he's doing awesome!

Clowns are actually fighting as of yesterday, so much so the larger Occy has "scared" my little DaVinci into the xenia. INTERESTING! Now they're both playing around in the xenia every now and then, but for the most part, the bigger clown is bullying the smaller clown who's left to stick to a corner of the tank (and even then he gets bullied too). I'm throwing a blind eye to it for now and I'm hoping they'll sort it out.

• Like 6

I've finally pulled the trigger on a Redline Cleaner Shrimp! These guys are VERY expensive in Australia. I've wanted one for years, but back then they were hard to come by and fetched crazy prices. Even now I've seen them for sale at $160, $150 most of the time.

Adam, the guy I buy my natural sea water off (he delivers!), put one up on his facebook page for $100 and now he's mine!

Wow! I guess that slightly takes out the sting of jealousy of you living in Australia and all... They are such a common staple here, it is hard to imagine them being rare and expensive. Its nice that you got one though. I loved the one I had years ago, and he was very studious about cleaning me whenever I was working in the tank.

• Like 1

It hurt to like the posts above!!! I've always known they were a lot cheaper in the US though, just happy I've got my little guy now! I like how he sways. He doesn't move around anywhere near as much as the always active ghost shrimp do (but he sure is pretty!), I expected that too so all good!

On another note. I had a shoot on yesterday and both tanks could be seen in the background, both emitting white/blue lights and well, ruining my photos!

Check this photo out:

tanks1.jpg

HAHA! So I had to turn the lights off on all 3 tanks for the remainder of the shoot.

outfit1_sydneyramos_justinfox_couch-640x

PS: If you're interested, you can find a link to the full set of photos from this shoot with Amanda on my blog: http://www.justinfox.com.au/

• Like 6

$15 ?!?

That's awesome , they are $40 here

$10 to $20 here. My kid likes to stick her finger in the tank so it can clean it. :D I might have to use my wholesale permit and buy a few hundred of them stick them in a couple suitcases and fly to Australia.

• Like 3

I still cant wrap my head around the fact cleaner shrimps are so expensive there. That is just crazyness.

Yeah crazy right?! They're more of a rarity in aquariums Australia wide. We miss out on a lot of other sexy inverts too (never heard of a pom pom crab being available for sale locally).

star.jpg

Always love checking out the tank in the morning as my lounge room is flooded with the rising sun. This morning I spotted the arm of a starfish which came as a hitchhiker on a coral. It's now a full star (it was just one single leg before!).

fluval-edge-2-side-nano-reef-justinfox2.

FTS. All corals still shut!

fluval-edge-2-side-nano-reef-justinfox-6

From the side. Spot the shrimp?! :) That's his home!

• Like 5

Hey Justin - what sort of settings do you have your leds on these days. I have all 3 channels at 40%, but don't know if it would look better if I tweaked one channel higher than the others. Thoughts?

Hey Justin - what sort of settings do you have your leds on these days. I have all 3 channels at 40%, but don't know if it would look better if I tweaked one channel higher than the others. Thoughts?

I'm a mac guy, so I've never played with the lighting controls (need a PC). I just have it set to a program they made for me and I'm really happy with it!

I'm a mac guy, so I've never played with the lighting controls (need a PC). I just have it set to a program they made for me and I'm really happy with it!

I hear you on the Mac/PC thing. I had to bring a Surface tablet home from work just so I could program the thing.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Long time no update! Unfortunately no images or video this update, but yesterday I introduced a tiny Clown Goby to the tank and also a small peppermint shrimp, both of which I purchased at Hurstville Aquariums.

The Goby looks super thin but he was eating mysis at the shop so I think he'll be fine. He's found a home in the Xenia which is the female clown's spot. Amazingly the female clown doesn't mind Mr Goby at all!

Peppermint and Redline get along too (Peppermint was out for a long time before he found his cave and the Redline was sussing him out but left him alone).

Pics soon, but the tank is going really well. There's a bit of coral warfare going on between the Torches, Hammers and the Star Polyps, 2 torch heads are starting to die as the hammers are getting fluffier and casting more shade on everything else in the tank, but I'm happy to let the corals sort themselves out over time. The Torches have forced the star polyps to grow further down my rockwork which is pretty cool.

Best thing is that there's hardly any algae build-up on the glass and I'm currently only using the nanomag to clean a very light film of algae off the glass about every 3-4 days! So awesome!

• Like 3

A couple of pics!

fts_edge_jbj20.jpgFTS, JBJ20 Frag Tank is running an AI Prime now and the custom UltraBright LED unit in the Fluval Edge absolutely slaughters the AI Prime. It's brighter, has much more pop and a lot deeper blues and purples than the AI Prime.

clowngoby1.jpg

New Clown Goby in the Xenia.

clowngoby2.jpg

He's super tiny AND very skinny too. I hope he makes it!

duncans.jpg

Duncans doing great. Their stems are toxic green, but you can't see the stems when the coral is open! :angry::lol:

• Like 9

That goby in the xenia is adorable. I hope he starts eating and fattens up soon!

I really want a clown goby, but all the ones at the lfs are super skinny. No guarantee on livestock... :(

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...

Holy crap. How did I miss this thread? Jason, your tank is amazing!
I have a Fluval Edge that I'm trying to turn into a frag tank and you just sold me on the UltraBrite LED setup.
Is your LED full spectrum? Also, how many watts is it?

• Like 1