Coral Vue Hydros

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Check out this video :wub:. This is what I want my tank to look like eventually....just overflowing. It's getting there :). Minus the BTA's of course :).

For the cat owners out there......

do you have a young cat (just over one year old) that likes to get into lots of trouble???? (Nora). Well...I do LOL. I have to redirect her energy with toys. In my quest for attention getting toys I found this great toy on Amazon. In this video Nicky is the one playing but Nora is just off camera very intensely watching the action. It's a pretty cool toy. Seems well made for those really energetic cats out there. They get a lot of use out of it. The batteries went out at the end...they had been playing a while LOL.

OOO! What about a bonded pair of the radial or white-spotted pygmy filefish that ORA cultivates????

That video is cool. I'm posting it in the softie revolution thread! It's perfect.

And holy cow. Our cat Mac LOVES getting into trouble. He's constantly knocking stuff down, he gets himself into places he then can't get out of (opened the kitchen cupboard last weekend, jumped in with the plates and then couldn't figure out how to get out - I heard a meowing and couldn't figure out where he was until I heard some plates clattering).

Sorry about the fish. More and more tank raised fish happening, hopefully this trend continues!

I agree!!! I like seeing all the new kinds they're captive breeding. Even yellow tangs are starting.

• Like 4

how big is it side to side?

I'm not sure. But I believe the 20g long tank is 30" so that should give you a general idea on it's size :).

According to this… http://www.theaquariumwiki.com/Pseudocheilinops_ataenia it says they live 2-3 years, so Pinky did really well! We should ask teeny how old Fitzgerald is. Good luck at the LFS.

Wow! Only 2-3 years. I had him over 3 years so I guess he did pretty well!!!! Thanks :). Last time I requested a PSW it took several months before he actually got one in. And what a surprise it was to see it when I walked in the store!!!!! Interesting that they live in groups in the wild. My LFS had brought in two (pinky and another) and they were hanging out in the same tank together. I was tempted to take both but didn't. They probably would have gotten along just fine.

OOO! What about a bonded pair of the radial or white-spotted pygmy filefish that ORA cultivates????

That video is cool. I'm posting it in the softie revolution thread! It's perfect.

And holy cow. Our cat Mac LOVES getting into trouble. He's constantly knocking stuff down, he gets himself into places he then can't get out of (opened the kitchen cupboard last weekend, jumped in with the plates and then couldn't figure out how to get out - I heard a meowing and couldn't figure out where he was until I heard some plates clattering).

I agree!!! I like seeing all the new kinds they're captive breeding. Even yellow tangs are starting.

The Radial is really cool looking. Cute fish!

I agree...very cool video! I want my tank to look like that when it grows up LOL. Need more leathers. Looks like a grubes gorgonian in that tank which is the same that I have. Just needs more filling in. Not so sure I'd be brave enough to do the BTAs though. They look pretty sweet in that tank though. And all those clowns :wub:.

Nora is a maniac LOL. She's got more "wild" in her than Nicky that's for sure. She can be absolutely sweet and adorable too though. I think female cats are just more high strung. They are a ton of fun though for sure. I can't get enough of those two sweet kitties :).

Here she is with her absolutely favorite toy. We call it her snake. She loves when we throw it for her. She plays fetch with it LOL. It's too adorable when she brings it back to us. This giant "snake" in her mouth :lol:.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-03%20at%208.18.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-03%20at%208.18.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-03%20at%208.19.0

and I'll repost one of the tank photos from yesterday just to have it on the new page :).

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-02%20at%205.14.0

• Like 11
Orangutran

I got my PSW from a local reefer who ordered a bunch of them, and kept a pair (m+f) before selling the rest. So yeah, if you can find a pair, go for it! Does this mean they are back on your radar? :)

• Like 1

Gena, the tank still looks beautiful, but I agree, without Pinky it's just not the same. A PSW pair would be so beautiful, though!

I think Pinky lives on here on N-R. There are so many refers like me that were inspired to keep PSW's, thanks to Pinky :)

• Like 3

Ha! I mean your fiji, how many inches is it?

I would say it's about 5-6".

I got my PSW from a local reefer who ordered a bunch of them, and kept a pair (m+f) before selling the rest. So yeah, if you can find a pair, go for it! Does this mean they are back on your radar? :)

Yep! Went to my LFS yesterday and he's going to be on the look out. He remembers selling me Pinky. And thought it was great that he lived as long as he did :). He's going to look next week for another!!!!

Gena, the tank still looks beautiful, but I agree, without Pinky it's just not the same. A PSW pair would be so beautiful, though!

I think Pinky lives on here on N-R. There are so many refers like me that were inspired to keep PSW's, thanks to Pinky :)

Thanks, tee! It really isn't the same without him. I hope my next one will be just as charismatic LOL. He was just so cool and so pretty. A pair would be neat but I'm just going to go for one again.

I'm with everyone else, see if you can find another, do they sell mated pairs???

I bet DD has had mated pairs before. Actually I think my brother bought a mated pair from them and one died in shipping. He still has the one that survived. He got his a few months after I got mine.

• Like 2

So sorry to hear about Pinky, Gena :( I know its just a fish, but I get attached too! Its one thing to lose a newer fish, but those ones that you've had for several years are always hard! You definitely get attached over time. Sounds like you gave Pinky a nice long life though and it must have just been old age. Are you thinking about getting a different fish to replace Pinky or just sticking with the fish you have now?

Love the new tank photos! It is so crammed full in there! I love how grown in this tank is looking. I'm hitting that stage in some areas of my tank and I'm trying to deal with keeping corals from stinging each other in some places. The good thing about softies though is that they don't really sting or seem to mind other corals. Looks like you're ready for a bigger tank, Gena ;):lol:

That's exciting that you have so many gecko eggs right now! Seems like your breeding business is really taking off all at once. How hard will it be to raise several babies at once? They have to be fed quite a few times a day right?

Your kitties are adorable! They've really grown up! Glad to see they still love to play though. The cat I had growing up really mellowed out once he was a couple years old, but Lily is 6 now and still loves to play. She still has kitten energy and doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon.

• Like 3

Tank looks awesome as usual! That video makes me want to sell most of my coral and get a gigantic toad! They are one of my favorite when they are large. If I could find a huge neon green one I would probably do it lol!

• Like 3

So sorry to hear about Pinky, Gena :( I know its just a fish, but I get attached too! Its one thing to lose a newer fish, but those ones that you've had for several years are always hard! You definitely get attached over time. Sounds like you gave Pinky a nice long life though and it must have just been old age. Are you thinking about getting a different fish to replace Pinky or just sticking with the fish you have now?

Love the new tank photos! It is so crammed full in there! I love how grown in this tank is looking. I'm hitting that stage in some areas of my tank and I'm trying to deal with keeping corals from stinging each other in some places. The good thing about softies though is that they don't really sting or seem to mind other corals. Looks like you're ready for a bigger tank, Gena ;):lol:

That's exciting that you have so many gecko eggs right now! Seems like your breeding business is really taking off all at once. How hard will it be to raise several babies at once? They have to be fed quite a few times a day right?

Your kitties are adorable! They've really grown up! Glad to see they still love to play though. The cat I had growing up really mellowed out once he was a couple years old, but Lily is 6 now and still loves to play. She still has kitten energy and doesn't seem to be slowing down any time soon.

Thanks, Felicia! He was my favorite fish of all time and the hardest to lose. Though I didn't cry LOL. But I was pretty bummed. I guess I felt like he had lived out his full life so that made it easier for me. I will replace him with another PSW. I wasn't going to but realized after a few days that I need another in my life LOL. I just hate having to go through the shy stages again. Pinky was totally used to me and didn't hide unless I was cleaning the tank. He was awesome!

I may get one as soon as this week since my LFS is looking for one this week. However, I kinda hope it will take a month or two because I have to move the tank to the living room while we start the remodeling. It will most likely stay in the living room until we can do the family room add on to the back of the house. That's probably not going to be until next year at the soonest. For now I'm just getting my new master bedroom suite :happydance:. I'm gonna have a BIG closet :happydance:. I'm so tired of a dinky closet LOL.

The current master bedroom will become my gecko room which will be awesome. I can close it off from the kitties that like to harass my geckos!!!! They really aren't that bad but boy are they fascinated with them. The geckos aren't the least bit afraid of them either which is weird. They try to attack the cats through the glass!!!!! Taking care of baby geckos is so easy. If it was difficult I wouldn't be in this business. I only have to feed them every other day. They always have a dish of their crested gecko diet in their habitats but it goes bad after a while. I could wait a couple of days but I like to change it every other day. Newborns I give fresh daily. But it's only once a day so not bad at all. They are super easy to care for. I do cage cleaning once a week just like I do a water change on my reef once a week :).

Tank looks awesome as usual! That video makes me want to sell most of my coral and get a gigantic toad! They are one of my favorite when they are large. If I could find a huge neon green one I would probably do it lol!

Thank you Jackie! I'm am with you on the giant toadstool. It's my favorite thing too!!!!! I'm hoping the little toadstool I picked up and placed on the left side will grow big like that. Though the color isn't my favorite and the darn thing still hasn't opened all the way. I need a toadstool that is the color of Harry's toadstool :lol:. It looks like a pretty light green shade :wub:.

• Like 4

Yay! Pinky the Second!

I approve this plan :happydance:

But I agree, working through the shy stage will be frustrating when you are so used to him being out and about all the time. My Fitzgerald has really only started being out all the time in the last couple months.

The remodeling/gecko business plan sounds awesome, by the way :)

• Like 2

Gena, That tank Looks awesome! I have a place that could use some filler ;) I might have to get a Toad!

I wish ya luck with Pinky II.

We just got a Pearly Jaw fish...In Hiding of course! <_<:rolleyes: Haven't seen him/her since putting it in tank.

Damn ur tank looks awesome!

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Well, I'm happy that the toadstool you gave me is doing so well in Gertie's tank, now I just have a tiny one I can't make work in the 40g!! I really want it to work!! I love 'em too. They're wonderful.

• Like 1

A new pink streak wrasse seems like a good plan! Hopefully you'll get another spunky, healthy one. When you find a type of fish you really like and that works in your tank, its definitely nice to just stick with that.

This sounds like a MAJOR remodel? So where is the master suite going if its not just an expansion of the current master bedroom? Are you guys adding on to the house? Does this mean you'll be adding a whole new bedroom and bath? That's exciting!

• Like 1

Thanks you guys!!!! I'll check in at my LFS tomorrow or Friday to see what he was able to find. I'm also looking for more leathers so :happydance:. LOL

A new pink streak wrasse seems like a good plan! Hopefully you'll get another spunky, healthy one. When you find a type of fish you really like and that works in your tank, its definitely nice to just stick with that.

This sounds like a MAJOR remodel? So where is the master suite going if its not just an expansion of the current master bedroom? Are you guys adding on to the house? Does this mean you'll be adding a whole new bedroom and bath? That's exciting!

I'm really happy with two clowns, a firefish, 2 green banded gobies and a PSW combo. I don't feel like I'm missing anything if I have all of those :D.

It's not too major. The house, on paper, is a 3 bedroom 1.5 bath home. We use 2 bedrooms and made that 3rd bedroom our den. It's really more of a den anyways. Not sure what whoever made it was thinking. Ugly wood paneling (I don't like paneling) and it steps down. What kinda bedroom does that???? LOL. So we are gutting the room and raising the floor to the level of the rest of the house. And incorporating the half bath into the plan. So by the time we are done we'll have a true 3 bedroom 2 full bath home. Not adding any square footage at this time. Eventually we want to add a family room to the back of the house since we are losing the den. I'm really excited about it. Still have to get the architect in here but we should have a nice size bath and walk-in closet when all is said and done :happydance:.

• Like 5

I remember your den...yeah that was a weird design for a bedroom. Some of these older California houses are so odd! Sounds like a good plan to turn it back into a real bedroom with a full bath and a big closet. I'm sure that will make a big difference! Still a major reno, but not as crazy as actually adding onto the house! So where is the tank going to move to?

• Like 2

I remember your den...yeah that was a weird design for a bedroom. Some of these older California houses are so odd! Sounds like a good plan to turn it back into a real bedroom with a full bath and a big closet. I'm sure that will make a big difference! Still a major reno, but not as crazy as actually adding onto the house! So where is the tank going to move to?

It will go into the living room. Gonna have to put a few things in storage or something since it won't all fit. I may have some furniture in my gecko room for a bit LOL.

• Like 1

It will go into the living room. Gonna have to put a few things in storage or something since it won't all fit. I may have some furniture in my gecko room for a bit LOL.

At least the little 20 gallon will be way easier to move than the plumbed 45 gallon. Shouldn't be too bad to relocate it by one room :)

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Sounds like a good deal, give you some more bang for the buck you put in. Better selling features for your future sale down the line.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

So many sales going on this weekend for Father's Day. I asked my husband if there's anything he needs for his reef LOL. He said, "huh?" LOL. So I got him a nice bottle of scotch instead :).

Guess I've been neglecting my tank thread lately. Haven't gotten a new PSW yet although I didn't check in this week. Been keeping busy with my garden and my geckos and summer. The left side still needs to catch up with the middle and right side. I'm thinking about clipping the grubes gorgonian to help fill in the left side space. Maybe next week during maintenance.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-18%20at%204.49.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-18%20at%204.48.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-18%20at%204.49.0

The other garden I take care of......

b3e48776-abcb-4d1d-a53a-19a4f677ea27_zps

It feels like it's 1000 degrees out today. And it's only getting worse. Supposed to be in the 100s tomorrow and 107 on Monday :wacko:.

Fun stuff :D.

• Like 10

So many sales going on this weekend for Father's Day. I asked my husband if there's anything he needs for his reef LOL. He said, "huh?" LOL. So I got him a nice bottle of scotch instead :).

Guess I've been neglecting my tank thread lately. Haven't gotten a new PSW yet although I didn't check in this week. Been keeping busy with my garden and my geckos and summer. The left side still needs to catch up with the middle and right side. I'm thinking about clipping the grubes gorgonian to help fill in the left side space. Maybe next week during maintenance.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-18%20at%204.49.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-18%20at%204.48.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-18%20at%204.49.0

The other garden I take care of......

b3e48776-abcb-4d1d-a53a-19a4f677ea27_zps

It feels like it's 1000 degrees out today. And it's only getting worse. Supposed to be in the 100s tomorrow and 107 on Monday :wacko:.

Fun stuff :D.

I bet your garden will love that morning and evening watering!! This last week we were at 89 a lot of the time. Was too hot for me.

• Like 1

I bet your garden will love that morning and evening watering!! This last week we were at 89 a lot of the time. Was too hot for me.

It definitely will!!!! It's insane out today. I know it's been hotter but this is the real first HOT day of the season so it's taking some getting used to. I've been periodically sitting outside in the shade. Watching birds (hummingbirds). Not too many are out in this heat. I wish I had a bird bath for them. I turned my fountain into a planter though.

Screen%20Shot%202016-06-19%20at%201.02.2.

Thought about putting a dish of water out for them....poor things.

It was 102 last I checked. At least we don't have to deal with humidity.

Looking great as usaul Gena

Thanks, Scott :).
  • Like 6