Top Shelf Aquatics

The Pastel Garden: Drop-Off

gena

Lol my wrasse is like that he always thinks I have food,he will even eat from my hand :lol:

Everything looks very lush and colorful as usual. :)

I don't think Pinky would eat from my hand but I never tried! He's much bolder now compared to when I first got him, that's for sure. But I don't think I could hand feed him. When I clean the tank he is no where to be found. He hides in the rocks :).

Woah! I think this is my favorite set of photos you've posted in a long time! The corals are just looking so lush and amazing! Such a natural and easy, peaceful looking tank. Seems like it would be super relaxing to watch :) That fox coral is just insane! I just don't seem to have luck with those in my tank. I don't think I have a spot available that has the right light and flow conditions. Oh well! I'll just admire yours. Your fiji leather looks a lot different than mine. Mine has much smaller polyps. I like the texture on yours and how it looks multi colored. Mine looks like one shade of goldenrod yellow with small polyps. Oh and if that long polyp toadstool drops a baby, I'll so buy it from you! I love that little toadstool!

This tank is definitely doing really well. Very fluffy corals and nice coloring. (knock on wood LOL)

I assume they all come from Fiji so it must be what it is exposed to that determines what coloring it shows???? Or maybe there are different versions of the fiji yellow leather. I'm a fan of all the shades :).

I have never had a toadstool drop a baby. I hope this one does. I will definitely send it to you or maybe bring it to Macna for you fingerscrossed.

Bringing these to the new page :)

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-08%20at%204.09.1

Big as ever....

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-08%20at%204.08.5

Blastos doing really well. Lots of growth....

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-08%20at%204.09.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-08%20at%204.11.3

Cyphastrea has taken off too. You can see the growth on the rock below it.....

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-08%20at%204.07.5

Really love this long tentacle toad!!!!!

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-08%20at%204.08.1

I always feel like...somebody's watching me :wub:

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-08%20at%204.09.0

Isn't that toadstool like a cute little tree!

Yep :)
  • Like 6

Yeah, I wonder if we have two different types of yellow fiji leathers or if its just different tank conditions. Both of ours seem healthy and happy, so who knows! I think its cool that leathers can have so many different textures and colors.

Your little long polyp toadstool looks pretty small, so I'm sure it will need to get bigger before it drops a baby. If you ever want a Tyree neon green toadstool baby, just let me know. I always have plenty of those and one would look awesome in your tank :) They're not very pastel though :lol:

• Like 1
jedimasterben

No, the yellow Fiji, Sarcophyton elegans, only comes in that bright yellow. It will brown out in lower light or flow, but they'll never have any other shades of color except yellow. Lots of sarcophytons come from fiji, but there is only one known color morph of S. elegans :)

• Like 1

No, the yellow Fiji, Sarcophyton elegans, only comes in that bright yellow. It will brown out in lower light or flow, but they'll never have any other shades of color except yellow. Lots of sarcophytons come from fiji, but there is only one known color morph of S. elegans :)

Whatever it is, I need that!!!

jedimasterben

Whatever it is, I need that!!!

Me too! I love my Fiji yellow, but I like gena's multicolor one probably just as much!

• Like 4

Me too! I love my Fiji yellow, but I like gena's multicolor one probably just as much!

Exactly! I keep being like why isn't mine all rainbow like Gena's? Haha! I like the color on hers as much as the solid yellow color. I guess that explains why the polyps on hers are different too if it's actually another species. The polyps on mine are much smaller.
  • Like 1

Yeah, I wonder if we have two different types of yellow fiji leathers or if its just different tank conditions. Both of ours seem healthy and happy, so who knows! I think its cool that leathers can have so many different textures and colors.

Your little long polyp toadstool looks pretty small, so I'm sure it will need to get bigger before it drops a baby. If you ever want a Tyree neon green toadstool baby, just let me know. I always have plenty of those and one would look awesome in your tank :) They're not very pastel though :lol:

I would love one of the tyree neon toads but not sure where I would put it????? Too bad shading is an issue when they get big :D.

True beauty in a box! Love this tank every time I see it. Just gorgeous.

Thank you M2M :flower:.

I have pretty high lighting in my tank but my flow isn't crazy so maybe that is why the coloring is different. Not sure about polyp size though. Maybe that has something to do with flow as well.

• Like 3

I would love one of the tyree neon toads but not sure where I would put it????? Too bad shading is an issue when they get big :D.

I have pretty high lighting in my tank but my flow isn't crazy so maybe that is why the coloring is different. Not sure about polyp size though. Maybe that has something to do with flow as well.

That's the same issue I'm having right now. And yeah, the big issue with toadstools is the shading. At least softies can usually touch without any issues though, so you can keep cramming them in :)

Yeah, that's definitely a possibility. Its always crazy how different one specific coral will look in different tanks. My fiji leather is in moderate light and flow.

• Like 1

They look so grown up already! Guess it's because they look like their parents & they don't have the roundish heads that puppies and kittens do.

• Like 1

Beautiful crestie babies! It must really make you happy to know you successfully bred and hatched these. They are wonderful!

• Like 1

I like the orange on that second one! He looks spunky! The first one is so cute and feminine looking. Like she'd be the proper, well behaved child and the orange one would be the hell raiser :)

• Like 1

LOL...you guys are probably right about the stinker/hell raiser LOL. The mom is very uptight and always trying to run LOL. The dad is chill. Here's a photo of mom and dad. The orange/brown is the mom and the yellowish is dad. Just like their kids :).

Mom:

willow4-12-16_zps5pab6iby.png

Dad:

marshmallow4-12-16_zpsaq7cxw3d.png

• Like 8
Sk8n Reefer

Great shots of the tank Gena- what light are you running on this tank? Mom and Dad and the babies are cool too? "Somebody's watching me" ???. Now I have that song in my head.......the power of suggestion

• Like 1

So did I get the genders of the babies mixed up? Is the cream on the male and the orange the female? For some reason the cream one looks feminine to me! I'm noticing the females are actually stockier than the males, which I didn't realize!

• Like 2

Great shots of the tank Gena- what light are you running on this tank? Mom and Dad and the babies are cool too "Somebody's watching me" . Now I have that song in my head.......the power of suggestion

Thanks! I have the razor r240r.

So did I get the genders of the babies mixed up? Is the cream on the male and the orange the female? For some reason the cream one looks feminine to me! I'm noticing the females are actually stockier than the males, which I didn't realize!

No...I actually don't know the genders yet. It's too soon to tell. But I naturally want to say the yellow one is a male and the orange/brown is a female because that's how the parents are :). Yep, females are typically larger than the males although I've seen photos of some BIG males.

Gena! They are soooo cute!!

I know!!!!!! You should add one to your zoo ;). They are very easy to care for. And their sticky feet are adorable. I know you hate feet but these are seriously too cute. I love their sticky feet!
  • Like 3

I know!!!!!! You should add one to your zoo ;). They are very easy to care for. And their sticky feet are adorable. I know you hate feet but these are seriously too cute. I love their sticky feet!

I'm lucky I convinced Nick to let me have 2 tanks, no way would he OK a sticky footed gecko no matter how cute!! Well, maybe if I keep it in "my room" with the tanks, but it's so cramped in there already! I'd have to give something else up to make room! :happy:

• Like 1

Took these photos on Thursday. Then got some really bad news and didn't feel like doing much after that. Figured I better post them before they are too outdated. The bad news is we found out my dog Jack has a spleen tumor and only has a week to a month to live. We are a wreck here. People telling us we should put him down but finding it so hard to make that call. We decided to do in home euthanasia but I just can't bring myself to make the appointment :(.

Anyways..hope everyone has a great weekend.

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-14%20at%203.23.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-14%20at%203.20.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-14%20at%203.23.1

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-14%20at%203.26.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-14%20at%203.25.3

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-14%20at%203.18.2

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-14%20at%203.19.4

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-14%20at%203.26.0

Screen%20Shot%202016-04-14%20at%203.22.5

• Like 5

:grouphug::tears::tears: So sorry to hear about Jack :tears: We recently had to put our 8 year old Golden down...She had Renal Failure..We too were devastated :tears::grouphug:

• Like 1