Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The biospheres (wrong word?)here are crazy.

Mangroves, grass, all sorts of macroalgaes, sea grape, and more. If it was legal (cough?) i would have loved to bring home a few small mangroves...

Only sad part is the Sand Dollars! There are THOSANDS washed ashore- ranging from 1" to plate sized :(

Something to that effect, yes. I'm no expert in the field. More of an electricity person.... ;)

Okay then I have a question. What can I use to insulate soldered connections from the elements? My quadcopter shorted out after landing on wet grass and I lost a motor.

I tried plastidip but it peeled over time, and hot glue doesn't work since it connects the lead terminals.

This is the part in question (Old photo, but shows where the trouble started).

IMG_9325_zpsijc2n2su.jpg

charnelhouse

Try silicone, applied liberally. Just don't run the gobs into each other. Silicone can be a semi-conductor.

Also it looks like you aren't getting your joints hot enough and/or you aren't using flux. They shouldn't be lumpy or pitted, they should look like a blob of mercury.

Try silicone, applied liberally. Just don't run the gobs into each other. Silicone can be a semi-conductor.

Also it looks like you aren't getting your joints hot enough and/or you aren't using flux. They shouldn't be lumpy or pitted, they should look like a blob of mercury.

I have a cheap $11 soldering iron kit- doesn't get that hot sadly.

I'll try silicon, but the connections (+&-) are awful close for something conductive...

Edit:

Trade you my EcoExotic Stunner Strip for a soldering iron? ;)

charnelhouse

I have a cheap $11 soldering iron kit- doesn't get that hot sadly.

I'll try silicon, but the connections (+&-) are awful close for something conductive...

Edit:

Trade you my EcoExotic Stunner Strip for a soldering iron? ;)

Any soldering iron should work. Maybe you're using the wrong solder. Try a thinner, flux core, solder. My guess is you are using too thick a solder for the job and no flux. And keep the iron on the joint as the solder flows into it.

And honestly, if you get good solder joints there should be no reason to have to cover them in anything. Bad solder joints that already have cracks in them are susceptible to vibration and water intrusion, but good solder joints are virtually bulletproof.

Use 63/37 solder. Also use nail polish on the connections.

Good idea on the nail polish!

So I'm going to redo these connections probably. So after I de-solder, flux, tin, and try again using the soon to be bought 63/37 solder I can cover the connections in clear nail polish?

Those photos were more along the lines of destroying one. :D

But yeah, it's easy.

20150727_172409.jpg

That's awesome. Do you use it for gaming or for professional (yuck) work?

And I thought my desk was cool with a single 27" screen that attaches via thunderbolt to my laptop haha!

jedimasterben

Both. The monitor on the left is a color calibrated U2711 IPS monitor for print design work. At the time, it was also one of the only 2560x1440 screens available that was worth a damn.

charnelhouse

But yeah, it's easy.

20150727_172409.jpg

Man, that's blue.... do you feel like you're flying?

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

But yeah, it's easy.

20150727_172409.jpg

I also build them. It's nice to have someone here who knows what I'm talking about. :)

WOO HOO!

On my way home from Sanibel and I have a bunch of goodies waiting. I have a Milwaukee Digital Salinity Refractometer and a brand new Innovative Marine MidSize MiniMax reactor. Both great deals from NR members :)

Heck yeah!

Came back and the tank looks awesome. Everything is SUPER bright and looking great! There's a bit of algae on the glass that needs to meet my magnet, but overall super happy with it.

5C8E0730-B154-4A01-8926-F82E937D2285_zps

Archived