Innovative Marine Aquariums

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

HarryPotter

Looking forward to seeing your groom job!

I'm halfway through. I debulked the amount of hair (it was crazy) and made his back and sides nice and even.

I decided on a short puppy cut because it's summer in Florida and I don't want him to be uncomfortable in the heat, AND I'm not great at trimming.

So far it's great- no short spots. He's nice and even and in done with the electric trimmer, it's just time for scissor work

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm halfway through. I debulked the amount of hair (it was crazy) and made his back and sides nice and even.

I decided on a short puppy cut because it's summer in Florida and I don't want him to be uncomfortable in the heat, AND I'm not great at trimming.

So far it's great- no short spots. He's nice and even and in done with the electric trimmer, it's just time for scissor work

Cant wait to see him! Sounds great!

HarryPotter

Cant wait to see him! Sounds great!

TADA! Any reccomondations? His paws are like 1/4 the size as before haha

21BE12EA-BC0F-48EC-9CAB-4C3F93578DF6_zps

Lol his beard looks uneven- I'll get that lol

He looks wonderful!!! You did great!

I love to groom my dogs. Some of my first groom jobs turned out terrible. But my dogs never complained and their hair grows back so fast, I knew I could try again in six weeks.

He looks really good. I do short cuts in summer on my dog and grow it out in winter months as well. You got a ton off of him. He should feel really good to. Much cooler.

I always keep poms on my girls feet year round, as they are so hard to get right and If I let them grow into the rest of her leg hair I would have trouble getting them correct again from scratch.

Another boy hair cut for a poodle dog is a german cut. Very unusal cut. Might want to give it a try sometime!

HarryPotter

He looks wonderful!!! You did great!

I love to groom my dogs. Some of my first groom jobs turned out terrible. But my dogs never complained and their hair grows back so fast, I knew I could try again in six weeks.

He looks really good. I do short cuts in summer on my dog and grow it out in winter months as well. You got a ton off of him. He should feel really good to. Much cooler.

I always keep poms on my girls feet year round, as they are so hard to get right and If I let them grow into the rest of her leg hair I would have trouble getting them correct again from scratch.

Another boy hair cut for a poodle dog is a german cut. Very unusal cut. Might want to give it a try sometime!

Thanks! This was my first cut without doing any bald spots (embarrassing, but I'll admit it) and I'm pretty happy with it. I think I did better than usual from following your and Stella's advice, along with taking a 1 hour break after doing the initial electric trimming.

This should be great for now since in Miami we are getting High 90's some days, and these are all outdoor dogs.

I only did the paws like this because they track in mud. Your dogs don't? I would think all outdoor dogs need to have trimmed paws.

Looking up German cut now

I do have 4 more dogs to cut (3 if you consider the Aussie just needs a butt trimming) so I'll have a lot of time to practice!

We have four house dogs and my poodle, I keep her paws trimmed bare. The pom is above the bare paw. She tracks in very little dirt. He really does look great. :)

HarryPotter

Holy cow! All that hair was on that little guy?

Yep! It's been probably 1.5 months since the last trimming!

That's why I felt guilty yesterday when I saw him sweating with flies around him

This guy here never needs haircuts and always looks gorgeous. Just a brushing a week keeps the shedding out of the house and his fur looking great

C36CC053-D37F-49B2-8EB1-1EB397043BFD_zps

HarryPotter

We have four house dogs and my poodle, I keep her paws trimmed bare. The pom is above the bare paw. She tracks in very little dirt. He really does look great. :)

Can I have a leg photo? Lol

I did leave a HUGE Pom Pom on the tail haha- just for fun. It looks pretty silly

YEah He's cute, what's his name again?

Poodle is George (from Georgia) and Aussie puppy is Jackson.

Can I have a leg photo? Lol

I did leave a HUGE Pom Pom on the tail haha- just for fun. It looks pretty silly

Poodle is George (from Georgia) and Aussie puppy is Jackson.

pom poms on tail and legs are not silly! They are traditional poodle! ha ha. But on the show dogs....the ones on the hips do look kinda odd to me. Will snap a picture of my dogs foot. Hold on.

HarryPotter

pom poms on tail and legs are not silly! They are traditional poodle! ha ha. But on the show dogs....the ones on the hips do look kinda odd to me. Will snap a picture of my dogs foot. Hold on.

Thanks!

This is a better picture. He is running around from sofa to sofa because the trimming was too exciting for him haha

88905276-E886-4B44-B034-2C9291078AEE_zps

My dog has not been groomed for about two weeks, so that is two weeks worth of fuzz on her feet. But here is MY DOGS leg shot. :) Shaved foot and pom above it.

post-87944-0-74812400-1438638664_thumb.jpg

That is a great after picture. He looks great and so happy. Smashing job!

HarryPotter

My dog has not been groomed for about two weeks, so that is two weeks worth of fuzz on her feet. But here is MY DOGS leg shot. :) Shaved foot and pom above it.

028.jpg

That is a great after picture. He looks great and so happy. Smashing job!

Very cool idea. For the male poodles I may try the German cut if I can manage it!

How do you trim the paw so small? I am worried about cutting the toes!

You do have to be very careful shaving the paws so closely. Careful with the toe webbing and around the nails and inbetween the pads. When I started to do feet I went into Sallys Beauty supply store and bought a mini coreless trimmer. I think it was for beards and such. It worked great for doing the feet. It was so small I could get in there really well when I was learning. It died a few years ago and now I can do a foot with my full sized cordless acro no problem.

The german cut is a "tough dog" cut! Kinda buff for a boy dog. I have never had a boy dog to try it on.

HarryPotter

You do have to be very careful shaving the paws so closely. Careful with the toe webbing and around the nails and inbetween the pads. When I started to do feet I went into Sallys Beauty supply store and bought a mini coreless trimmer. I think it was for beards and such. It worked great for doing the feet. It was so small I could get in there really well when I was learning. It died a few years ago and now I can do a foot with my full sized cordless acro no problem.

The german cut is a "tough dog" cut! Kinda buff for a boy dog. I have never had a boy dog to try it on.

I just use scissors for the paws, so can't really get close. We have a cheap $30 clipper from eBay thats a few years old that really needs to be replaced- it struggles to get through the hair without pulling.

You recommend Arco? Hopefully a clipper that is $60 or less if thats reasonable.

The German cut looks pretty difficult. I just lay the clipper on the dog and slide it along the body to get a uniform depth. To do that shape must require skill

I went through many pet store and walmart pet clipper sets before buying the two clippers I have now. I would have saved myself a lot of money, if I had just started out with a good one. I have this one. http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Clipper-Arco-Se-Cordless/dp/B000E130FM I have had it for about six years or so and have only had to replace the blade once. I have done hundreds of trims with it as at that time I had four dogs to groom every six to eight weeks. It is a dream to use. Light weight. No cord. Quiet. Does not get to hot to quickly. Cuts thru the thickest hair fast and has five adjustable settings for slightly different lengths. I know it is a lot upfront but well worth it for years of trimming. And saves so much in the long run on paying for grooming. Paid for in four grooming sessions. I did by the attachment combs but never use them. I prefer to scissor or sculpt the harder areas.

As far as some cuts being hard. To blend in areas of trimming (body to leg) sometimes I scissor and sometimes I do something called sculpting. Fluffing and brushing the hair so it is stainging up striaght and then using my Acro to lightly shave what I want to come off like sculpting or hedge trimming with an electric trimmer. Of course your dog needs to stand pretty still to do that as one move makes a goudge. Ask me how I know! :)

Please know I am not a professional groomer at all. I am sure any professional dog groomer could grind me up and spit me out in critiquing me.

HarryPotter

I went through many pet store and walmart pet clipper sets before buying the two clippers I have now. I would have saved myself a lot of money, if I had just started out with a good one. I have this one. http://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Clipper-Arco-Se-Cordless/dp/B000E130FM I have had it for about six years or so and have only had to replace the blade once. I have done hundreds of trims with it as at that time I had four dogs to groom every six to eight weeks. It is a dream to use. Light weight. No cord. Quiet. Does not get to hot to quickly. Cuts thru the thickest hair fast and has five adjustable settings for slightly different lengths. I know it is a lot upfront but well worth it for years of trimming. And saves so much in the long run on paying for grooming. Paid for in four grooming sessions. I did by the attachment combs but never use them. I prefer to scissor or sculpt the harder areas.

As far as some cuts being hard. To blend in areas of trimming (body to leg) sometimes I scissor and sometimes I do something called sculpting. Fluffing and brushing the hair so it is stainging up striaght and then using my Acro to lightly shave what I want to come off like sculpting or hedge trimming with an electric trimmer. Of course your dog needs to stand pretty still to do that as one move makes a goudge. Ask me how I know! :)

Please know I am not a professional groomer at all. I am sure any professional dog groomer could grind me up and spit me out in critiquing me.

Hey your definitely more professional than I! lol

Ill propose that trimmer to my dad and see if he's okay with it. Might need to just get a new blade for this one in the meantime.

THERES GROWTH IN MY TANK!

JULY FTS- Green montipora

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-03%20at%202.22.0

August 3rd!

A4DC7698-0CA8-471B-AA92-F43BA8DE9DD5_zps

HarryPotter

You know that FTS stands for Full Tank Shot, right?

I stupidly thought it meant photo shoot. Like Foe-Toe-Shoot. FTS.

What's happening to me.

Steensj2004

Hey your definitely more professional than I! lol

Ill propose that trimmer to my dad and see if he's okay with it. Might need to just get a new blade for this one in the meantime.

THERES GROWTH IN MY TANK!

JULY FTS- Green montipora

Screen%20Shot%202015-08-03%20at%202.22.0

August 3rd!

A4DC7698-0CA8-471B-AA92-F43BA8DE9DD5_zps

Shit, wish my bitches were growing like that. My SPS grow better than anything lol

HarryPotter

Shit, wish my bitches were growing like that. My SPS grow better than anything lol

So this is pretty good growth for Montipora? It's about the same for my Tyree Undata, Red & Green Cap, Purple, etc.

Archived