Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are their approximate size in that picture.

Two inches tall. I have 3 that are one inch, one large 3 inch, and the rest 2 inch frags.

They're starting to open! :)

Harry - pipe organ corals are calcified bottom with flesh polyps at the top. You can easily super glue all the pieces back together and it won't even look like anything happened.

The colony was getting too large anyway, that's why it was behind my rocks.

This worked out well actually- the main colony is more manageable and the frags will be given to local reefers or anyone who wants :)

Wish I lived closer. I would love a frag. Your colony seems very hardy and grows well.

I wonder if they could do two day shipping in an insulated container? That would be like $8... Hmm

Yes, they might. I am in North Georgia and you in south Florida. Not to far but it does get HOT. It was upper ninties today. Have you shipped pipe organ before?

Yes, they might. I am in North Georgia and you in south Florida. Not to far but it does get HOT. It was upper ninties today. Have you shipped pipe organ before?

Hey when it cools down a bit I can definitely send some. I've never shipped pipe organ before, but have shipped a leather coral!

That sounds wonderful! I would love a piece! We will just work it out once things cool down a bit. Should not be long. Leaves are begining to change color here and some are droping to the ground already. Now just to have the temperatures go down a bit.

RAWWWEEER

F31A04AF-8558-42FD-A214-3A5C53250A6A_zps

That sounds wonderful! I would love a piece! We will just work it out once things cool down a bit. Should not be long. Leaves are begining to change color here and some are droping to the ground already. Now just to have the temperatures go down a bit.

He likes brushing now! Weirdo

1CB5C822-5182-4C71-A675-27CB03FA8FA6_zps

RFA is spawning!!!

Can one get babies with only one RFA or do you need two? Will the other RFA release eggs to be fertilized? What's happening?

I need a RFA birds and the bees

RFA is spawning!!!

Can one get babies with only one RFA or do you need two? Will the other RFA release eggs to be fertilized? What's happening?

I need a RFA birds and the bees

He just heard you call him evil for eating your ricordia!!! So he is going to make an army! mwaaa ha ha ha!!!

Actually, I think you need a male and female. Ask FlowerMama, She is the flower queen.

He just heard you call him evil for eating your ricordia!!! So he is going to make an army! mwaaa ha ha ha!!!

Actually, I think you need a male and female. Ask FlowerMama, She is the flower queen.

Shoot you're probably right- "MAN THE CANNONS!"

Well I have two RFAs in the tank, so the other could be female?

Shoot you're probably right- "MAN THE CANNONS!"

Well I have two RFAs in the tank, so the other could be female?

Its a possibility you have one male and one female in there. So technically you could end up with some babies. That would be cool. From what I've read they are very hard to raise. They grow in the mom and when they get the right size she spits them out and then they live under her skirts for a while. I have five and have yet to see any action or babies. But I dont watch my tank as much as I would like to either. I have so many children that need my attention. I mostly watch it while feeding babies bottles or after everyone is to bed when the moon lights are on.

Couple of OPINIONS. :)

That pipe organ is an invasive weed. That's the one that killed a milli of mine and then polluted the tank when I removed it. I am convinced some day they will find this is either a different species of pipe organ or not a pipe organ at all. I would go Kim Jong-un on it and kill it with an anti-aircraft gun (stadium optional though perhaps an entrance fee would help to defray coral costs) .

As far as Alk and Calcium, don't get trapped into a feedback loop by testing both of them. Make sure Calcium is 400 or above, then only test Alk and dose equal parts 2 part (assuming they are mixed correctly) and don't worry about it. There is some concern with BRS and other 'homemade' 2 parts that the parts aren't really equal so you have to adjust, but if you keep testing near the same time on the same day you're going to be chasing your tail. If you have a chart of proper Calcium to Alk ratios throw it out, or destroy it as described above. You are using bionic, so no worries IMO.

500 calcium won't harm corals. You won't be able to get it too high because it will precipitate out of solution and probably harm some equipment.

Tank is looking good, you've done a good job at keeping things stable. :) I can;t find it, what are you running your Alk at?

Personally I would run the tank at 79 or 80, there is some color loss in some corals (though mostly anemones) at 81F.

Remember, these are just opinions.

That pipe organ is an invasive weed. That's the one that killed a milli of mine and then polluted the tank when I removed it. I am convinced some day they will find this is either a different species of pipe organ or not a pipe organ at all. I would go Kim Jong-un on it and kill it with an anti-aircraft gun (stadium optional though perhaps an entrance fee would help to defray coral costs) .

As far as Alk and Calcium, don't get trapped into a feedback loop by testing both of them. Make sure Calcium is 400 or above, then only test Alk and dose equal parts 2 part (assuming they are mixed correctly) and don't worry about it. There is some concern with BRS and other 'homemade' 2 parts that the parts aren't really equal so you have to adjust, but if you keep testing near the same time on the same day you're going to be chasing your tail. If you have a chart of proper Calcium to Alk ratios throw it out, or destroy it as described above. You are using bionic, so no worries IMO.

500 calcium won't harm corals. You won't be able to get it too high because it will precipitate out of solution and probably harm some equipment.

Tank is looking good, you've done a good job at keeping things stable. :) I can;t find it, what are you running your Alk at?

Personally I would run the tank at 79 or 80, there is some color loss in some corals (though mostly anemones) at 81F.

I want some of his indestructable pipe organ!!! So funny!

And I am going to start dosing B-ionic. So you are saying just really pay attention to the calcium part of the readings? The alk will be generally ok?

And I am going to start dosing B-ionic. So you are saying just really pay attention to the calcium part of the readings? The alk will be generally ok?

Other way around, Alk is critical, Calcium will fall in line as long as you base your dose on Alk usage and dose equal parts of the two part at least 10 minutes apart, or longer if you can.

There are always exceptions, and if you find after a week Calcium continues to slowly rise then maybe skip a few calcium part doses, but I have found that over time Calcium will settle at a level and then stay there.

+1 for what Mark said. I rarely measure Calcium because it eventually settles in line with whatever level Alk is at. Especially with regular water changes. Which may be why your Calcium is high - if whatever mix the LFS uses is high, then that's what you're going to get.

I'm chiming in on this just because I had the same exact concern in my tank. I kept worrying about how Calcium didn't seem to be changing the way I wanted it to. Turns out it just doesn't change rapidly and significantly from dosing the way Alk does.

Thanks for all of that!

Yeah, now that all the pipe organ frags are opened up my tank is FULL of it! Ill need to either ship it someone that wants, trash some, or take it to LFS.

I believe my alk is at 8.2, but I don't test frequently. Im working on testing every other day, but honestly I havnt adjusted my dosing since I set up the doser. Just 12ml each daily, and I do a manual "Reset" of the parameters doing 12.5% water changes bi-weekly.

My tank is too warm. Im seeing 83 recently, which isn't great. Problem is that I can't afford a chiller, nor a controller/fan setup. Any ideas?

The heater is set to 81* to prevent day/night temperature fluctuations, but maybe ill see if perhaps its faulty and keeping it at 83.

TAKE SOME! I have so many frags of it haha

Look for a few days were temps will be cooler for shipping and we will give it a go!

I have fancy foam lines shipping containers from when I got corals from Glenn, itll work!

Now I just need to figure out how to ship a nice sized frag (Or three) without risking that the pipes/tubes break in transit.

Thanks for all of that!

Yeah, now that all the pipe organ frags are opened up my tank is FULL of it! Ill need to either ship it someone that wants, trash some, or take it to LFS.

I believe my alk is at 8.2, but I don't test frequently. Im working on testing every other day, but honestly I havnt adjusted my dosing since I set up the doser. Just 12ml each daily, and I do a manual "Reset" of the parameters doing 12.5% water changes bi-weekly.

My tank is too warm. Im seeing 83 recently, which isn't great. Problem is that I can't afford a chiller, nor a controller/fan setup. Any ideas?

The heater is set to 81* to prevent day/night temperature fluctuations, but maybe ill see if perhaps its faulty and keeping it at 83.

TAKE SOME! I have so many frags of it haha

Try lowering the heater to 75 perhaps thats where I keep mine at and on bad days it gets to 80 no higher then that

I have fancy foam lines shipping containers from when I got corals from Glenn, itll work!

Now I just need to figure out how to ship a nice sized frag (Or three) without risking that the pipes/tubes break in transit.

Sounds great!

Archived