Innovative Marine Aquariums

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

Today is NOT my day, but the tank looks good :)

Total autopilot. All I do is feed the fish, clean the glass every 3 days, and fill the ATO every 8 days.

9B58B5BE-CAA2-4986-8242-5E3C0C493604_zps

This brain coral :(

Moved it to the shade a while back, no effect.

Bought it like this:

8ce514e4-2edc-4dce-a628-066cb06f7ecd_zps

And within a week it turned like this. Its been all bleached and fat for months now :(

FC0976E3-F16E-47AE-BC47-94D2A9195239_zps

Thanks! Except poor Mr. Brain, who is still as bleached as can be!

Its bleached but still alive and looks happy. Some Corals really look good and do well under LEDs some dont. I still think its getting too much light. Try feeding at night. It has feeding tentacles you just havent seen them. Like a lot of LPS they also like kinda dirty water.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Its bleached but still alive and looks happy. Some Corals really look good and do well under LEDs some dont. I still think its getting too much light. Try feeding at night. It has feeding tentacles you just havent seen them. Like a lot of LPS they also like kinda dirty water.

Sure I'll try to feed it more. I can't get lighting reduced anymore... The radion is on the lowest intensity its ever been on AND the brain is under a ledge so mostly shadowed

Screenshot_2015-09-11-15-45-19_zpsl0zvzx

What test kit do you use that gives ppm? Red sea is meq/l and dKh

I was using Hanna. Gives PPM, and I have a little chart that converts it roughly.

I think my last two water changes brought it up- that's good. MikeTR said I should be a bit higher, so that's perfect

Oh... I just tested my tank... parameters are fine. Lol! I'm bringing up my dKh. I mix into my top off water... it's come up .1 a day for a week. But it's still low, but acceptable for running chemipure.

Oh... I just tested my tank... parameters are fine. Lol! I'm bringing up my dKh. I mix into my top off water... it's come up .1 a day for a week. But it's still low, but acceptable for running chemipure.

I can't make myself test regularly unfortunately. I just think if something is weird do a water change and it'll be back to normal!

I should be raising my Alk supplement though. 12ml daily of each part is given my Ca 500+ and KH 8.2ish

I haven't tested in months. But with the 7 new sps I decided to start testing again... my to acros still look terrible. No pe. But look alive still... not bleached, but no pe

20150911_160427_zpsut6nj5o1.jpg

You can see the pe to the left and front, both montis. The green I believe is a milli. No pe, until 9 hours in the light cycle. But look "good" and the purple tip to the right should look like this

20150911_133058_zpshogg2ntt.jpg

Parent colony

FYI, multiply alkalinity ppm by 0.056 to get dKH. 171ppm = 9.576dKH

Thanks! Its sort of silly the Hanna Colorimeter doesn't do that for you! It would have been so simple; "Press button again to get measurement in dKH")

Hey Harry you still running the IM reactor? How were the chemipure blue packs in it?

Yessir!

Chemipure packs in it work great... My only issue was that I was running both 45g worth of chemipure in the reactor AND 45g worth in the media basket.

That was too much and my nutrients dived. But now just running the Nano Packets in the reactor works great

Ok cool you rather run the chemi pure or do a mix of carbon and gfo. Looks to be the same but mixing my own would be cheaper.

I like chemipure blue more because it has all three "big ones" in terms of chemical filteration. Purigen, GFO, & carbon

It doesn't have Purigen. Purigen is a Seachem product.

Right but its another version of it; a knockoff phosphate absorbing resin.

What all is in it? According to product labels it must have magic dust in it.

Its Carbon, GFO, and a phosphate absorbing resin.

Purigen is a brand of phosphate absorbing resin made by Seachem

Very familiar with purigen. I used to run it all the time back in the day. Maybe before you existed

Haha probably

It doesn't have Purigen. Purigen is a Seachem product.

Blue basically has purigen in it.

I know its not "Technically" Purigen, but it has a media that does the equivalent.

What all is in it? According to product labels it must have magic dust in it.

I doubt it has changed at all from the carbon/GFO mixture in CPE. It doesn't do anything that Boyd claims it can do, the shit on the description is so far fetched, they may as well also say that it makes your fish literally shit gold.

Right but its another version of it; a knockoff phosphate absorbing resin.

Its Carbon, GFO, and a phosphate absorbing resin.

Purigen is a brand of phosphate absorbing resin made by Seachem

Purigen does not adsorb phosphate (it is an adsorption resin, not an absorption resin). It adsorbs select organic molecules to its surface. The 'special' resin inside CPB is an ion exchange resin. It trades one of its ions (which Boyd will not release) for an ion of select organic molecules, therefore it releases something into the water that the manufacturer doesn't want you to know about. You won't catch me using it (or any other Boyd products, either).

I doubt it has changed at all from the carbon/GFO mixture in CPE. It doesn't do anything that Boyd claims it can do, the shit on the description is so far fetched, they may as well also say that it makes your fish literally shit gold.

Purigen does not adsorb phosphate (it is an adsorption resin, not an absorption resin). It adsorbs select organic molecules to its surface. The 'special' resin inside CPB is an ion exchange resin. It trades one of its ions (which Boyd will not release) for an ion of select organic molecules, therefore it releases something into the water that the manufacturer doesn't want you to know about. You won't catch me using it (or any other Boyd products, either).

Tell us how you really feel Ben :)

Archived