Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

Awesome new frags! Love that monti, mine took a hit back then and still recovering but that thing is super tough.

But it didn't brown out? That's my worry- people say (both here and on other forums) that Rainbow Montipora are prone to brown out :(

That would suck since its both my favorite and tied for most expensive piece!

that rainbow is sweet. :)

I'm going to put a piece or three of ceramic around/under it to try to get some frags within a few months... Share the rainbow love!

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But it didn't brown out? That's my worry- people say (both here and on other forums) that Rainbow Montipora are prone to brown out :(

That would suck since its both my favorite and tied for most expensive piece!

I'm going to put a piece or three of ceramic around/under it to try to get some frags within a few months... Share the rainbow love!

It was totally opposite, it bleached the hell out, I thought it was dead but saw green polyps back a few weeks ago :) I think usually brown out means not enough light or lack of nutrient.

It was totally opposite, it bleached the hell out, I thought it was dead but saw green polyps back a few weeks ago :) I think usually brown out means not enough light or lack of nutrient.

Oh sweet!! I think brown is not enough light OR too much nutrients?

Well I started all of the new corals on the sand bed on the advice of StellaBlue. She said that the transition from Halides to LED might be hard on them

Oh sweet!! I think brown is not enough light OR too much nutrients?

Well I started all of the new corals on the sand bed on the advice of StellaBlue. She said that the transition from Halides to LED might be hard on them

I actually think lack of nutrient, i think the more you feed and do wc the better the color pops. I put them all on sand bed unless I know for a fact that the tank where the frags came from are LED, then I just turn the light down for a couple days then increase back up.

I actually think lack of nutrient, i think the more you feed and do wc the better the color pops. I put them all on sand bed unless I know for a fact that the tank where the frags came from are LED, then I just turn the light down for a couple days then increase back up.

Sweet I guess StellaBlue advised me well regarding the careful halide to LED acclimation!

Sweet I guess StellaBlue advised me well regarding the careful halide to LED acclimation!

Yep she should be right with that gorgeous tank :) Yours is looking great too, im trying to get my hand on a RBTA. Does it sting other coral that it touch?

Yep she should be right with that gorgeous tank :) Yours is looking great too, im trying to get my hand on a RBTA. Does it sting other coral that it touch?

Yeah RBTA stings everything except other BTAs :(

I have browned few encrusting montis. At same time all my acros were great. Buddy of mine just got free piece of sunset monti larger than dinner plate :)

Dang any advice to prevent that? Were your nutrients off?

Thats awesome on the Sunset Montipora!

Nope. Nobody feeds as much as I do, my rainbow browned out too. I see some areas that are blue flesh, i think lower light helps that.

Nope. Nobody feeds as much as I do, my rainbow browned out too. I see some areas that are blue flesh, i think lower light helps that.

Thats because you're stuffing it...lol...j/k. My sunset monti is doing very well and spreading nicely, i do have it up at the top of the tank though. I only feed twice a week with coral frenzy, we'll see if mine will color up, i have it all the way down so it'll be a good comparison vs the sunset up top.

:( I hope thats not the case for me. Morgan implied its a pretty easy coral to keep- just bright lighting and medium flow

A well known LFS localy had a brown out not to long ago. No reason behind it just happened. He blew a bunch of brown sps @ $5 each. I know a few guys that picked some up and they are starting to look good again.

My rainbow and sunset did well in lower light areas. The damn Dinos got both of them.

Yeah RBTA stings everything except other BTAs :(

Dang any advice to prevent that? Were your nutrients off?

Thats awesome on the Sunset Montipora!

Dang, I've been wanting one but not sure where it will land on, i have a place for it with some zoas but im not sure if it'll kill them off.

Dang, I've been wanting one but not sure where it will land on, i have a place for it with some zoas but im not sure if it'll kill them off.

Yeah the zoas will close if they're touched by a BTA.

I am VERY lucky where my BTA is... I put it there and it hasn't moved since then.

A well known LFS localy had a brown out not to long ago. No reason behind it just happened. He blew a bunch of brown sps @ $5 each. I know a few guys that picked some up and they are starting to look good again.

My rainbow and sunset did well in lower light areas. The damn Dinos got both of them.

I have my sunset being Blasted up top and it doesn't look great; good growth but very pale. Ill move it lower and take your advice into consideration when placing the Rainbow Montipora

I would put a rock in just for the BTA and then see how it does.

I would put a rock in just for the BTA and then see how it does.

Problem is I don't have any more estate for another rock...lol but the right rock has one side (facing the tank right side) without anything on it except some small zoas, i'll just try it on that side.

Problem is I don't have any more estate for another rock...lol but the right rock has one side (facing the tank right side) without anything on it except some small zoas, i'll just try it on that side.

Are you from the USA? If so I highly reccomend CoralGardensAquaculture for Anemones

Are you from the USA? If so I highly reccomend CoralGardensAquaculture for Anemones

I know Glenn from CGA, they're in Texas too but im eyeing on a few other frags from ASD :) can't seem to stop the urge...lol

They have crazy Montipora!

yeah they always have a lot of crazy things, you don't know when you missed out on something cool with their 500+ listing...lol

Archived