Innovative Marine Aquariums

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

Right but its another version of it; a knockoff phosphate absorbing resin.

Its Carbon, GFO, and a phosphate absorbing resin.

Purigen is a brand of phosphate absorbing resin made by Seachem

According to the Boyd reps at MACNA, blue has no GFO in it. Talked to one of their head people about it for awhile, it's carbon and 2 other things. He called them "ion exchange resins." I asked if it was pretty much their version of Seachem Purigen and Phosguard and he said they are similar.

They do make a lot of claims about their stuff. That said, they gave me some free stuff and told me to let them know if it works or doesn't work for my tank. Free chemipure blue is the best kind :)

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the Boyd reps at MACNA, blue has no GFO in it. Talked to one of their head people about it for awhile, it's carbon and 2 other things. He called them "ion exchange resins." I asked if it was pretty much their version of Seachem Purigen and Phosguard and he said they are similar.

They do make a lot of claims about their stuff. That said, they gave me some free stuff and told me to let them know if it works or doesn't work for my tank. Free chemipure blue is the best kind :)

Lol at Reef-a-Palooza they told me Carbon, GFO, and a version of Purigen! (That's where I got it from).

But yeah they gave me 2 free packs of the nano sized; 10 packets!

thecoralbeauty

Rainbow Montipora

551E02BA-9B47-485A-828E-95A41B734447_zps

Oregon Tort

1CEA3101-86A9-45EB-807B-FC1806C44F30_zps

Green Slimer photo bombed

FB93A9FB-6098-480F-9800-3D222533F9C4_zps

Purple thingy whose name I forget

2109A125-7618-4967-8ED4-14FA3E52A9C0_zps

is that really an oregon tort?? growth pattern looks off.

still, gorgeous color

Nice haul Harry.

Also Purigen doesn't work on phosphates. It polishes the water, controls ammonia, nitrite and nitrate by adsorbing waste. It can be regenerated.

Chemipure blue has some type of resin that probably works in this way. But the phosphate remover in CPB is GFO.

is that really an oregon tort?? growth pattern looks off.

still, gorgeous color

I thought thats what it was. But then again there were a billion names and I was totally clueless 80% of the time there! haha

Any idea? Ill text her later

Nice haul Harry.

Also Purigen doesn't work on phosphates. It polishes the water, controls ammonia, nitrite and nitrate by adsorbing waste. It can be regenerated.

Chemipure blue has some type of resin that probably works in this way. But the phosphate remover in CPB is GFO.

Thanks! Finally got some Acropora... If they grow/color well I'm going to be really proud :)

Didn't pay nearly that, I paid $30. And happy with it! Ill ask her what it is- there were so many names!

That's not an Oregon Tort, and if you paid $60 or more for it get your money back.

Aha! Its a Steve Elias louisettae stag!

Thanks! Finally got some Acropora... If they grow/color well I'm going to be really proud :)

Didn't pay nearly that, I paid $30. And happy with it! Ill ask her what it is- there were so many names!

$30 is a good price. It's a tort of some sort I think, but we will know more when it shows some growth in your tank.

$30 is a good price. It's a tort of some sort I think, but we will know more when it shows some growth in your tank.

Steve Elias louisettae stag

Heres the mother colony! I just asked for something blue haha

limitedloisettae_colony_zps9v19urbw.jpg

That's a pretty mother colony but the frag doesn't look like it came from that.

I agree with you, but whatever. I like mystery blue Acropora

Morgan:

"Just different lights or that might be stuber stag. Steve Elias is teal with turquoise tips once it's fully colored, you'll see"

Bringing forward pictures of new corals!

Rainbow Montipora

5B4BB05E-1817-4EA0-A125-4C543FC58D29_zps

Oregon Tort

Steve Alias Blue Stag

1CEA3101-86A9-45EB-807B-FC1806C44F30_zps

Green Slimer (photo bombed)

FB93A9FB-6098-480F-9800-3D222533F9C4_zps

Berry Hologram Montipora

2109A125-7618-4967-8ED4-14FA3E52A9C0_zps

Oh I agree, the coral is very pretty. I think the growth pattern is not a Tort - my mistake. It looks more like a staghorn.

Maybe it is a Steve Alias Blue Stag :)

She never said Oregon Tort- that was my mistake. Another coral that was $60 was the oregon tort; I considered it but it was too much.

A lot of her prices have gone up pretty significantly over the years, but I think some are justified since she is an actual aquaculture facility. She has colonies in large, mature tanks that she clips from, allows the corals to heal in growout tanks for at least a month before selling. Very few shops do it this way. Most grab a coral, clip a bunch of frags, then sell them the next day for insane prices with ridiculous photo manipulation and have basically no growout.

A lot of her prices have gone up pretty significantly over the years, but I think some are justified since she is an actual aquaculture facility. She has colonies in large, mature tanks that she clips from, allows the corals to heal in growout tanks for at least a month before selling. Very few shops do it this way. Most grab a coral, clip a bunch of frags, then sell them the next day for insane prices with ridiculous photo manipulation and have basically no growout.

Agreed, and I thought her prices were really fair.

All corals in the grow out looked very healthy and colorful. I saw the colonies and frags in all stages of development- some that weren't ready to auction because they weren't old/encrusted enough.

For instance the Rainbow 1.5" Montipora was $50. I see online 1/2" pieces going for $40, so I'm happy. Not was the coral worth it for me$, but also the price was fair :)

Um because you have to dose equal parts A&B?

That's what it says on the bottle,no? So I'm dosing 12ml each part daily?

I never dosed equal amounts when i had acans... Id always run out of Ca before i even hit 1/4 a bottle of alk

I never dosed equal amounts when i had acans... Id always run out of Ca before i even hit 1/4 a bottle of alk

Lol I'm the opposite... I need less Ca than alk. Since my alk is at 9.2 and my Ca 500+

Archived