Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Harry's "Hyper" JBJ RL-45: TAKEN DOWN

HarryPotter

Lauraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Um because you have to dose equal parts A&B?

That's what it says on the bottle,no? So I'm dosing 12ml each part daily?

I believe you don't have to dose equal amounts as the instructions on the bottle are just guidelines
  • Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Um because you have to dose equal parts A&B?

That's what it says on the bottle,no? So I'm dosing 12ml each part daily?

I believe you don't have to dose equal amounts as the instructions on the bottle are just guidelines

I've never dosed equal parts, I just dose whichever it needs. You don't want to keep increasing the calcium if it's already that high.

'Two part' is designed so that ions of calcium and carbonate are added in the same ratio as they are used, on average, in aragonite skeletons and shells (which is roughly 1Meq/L of alkalinity and 20ppm calcium) and should always be dosed in equal amounts. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

Harry, what does freshly mixed saltwater measure for calcium? If you don't know, prepare a fresh gallon or two of it and test it after it is thoroughly mixed.

Tank looks awesome! Keep it up man!

Thanks! I love your NanoCube :)

'Two part' is designed so that ions of calcium and carbonate are added in the same ratio as they are used, on average, in aragonite skeletons and shells (which is roughly 1Meq/L of alkalinity and 20ppm calcium) and should always be dosed in equal amounts. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-12/rhf/index.php

Harry, what does freshly mixed saltwater measure for calcium? If you don't know, prepare a fresh gallon or two of it and test it after it is thoroughly mixed.

I can't mix salt for mysterious reasons. It turns all white and scary lol.

I had a thread about it at one point. I tried both Instant ocean and Red Sea, both turn opaque white and stay like that 24 hours later with a powerhead and heater.

Ill test the Ca of the LFS water next time I get some though.

And yes, I know I should mix my own water. But something doesn't work right.

Yuma anyone?

8CFCB3C4-C2D5-4F88-916B-6E7741FCF85D_zps

One of these is unlike the others....

86F10F9B-594B-4C05-A948-3328626CCA8F_zps

Mystery polka-dotted mushroom with a standard red.

(And maybe a piece of Kenya tree sticking out?)

68EF9B27-7DDA-4D96-BBBF-A78FA07532E3_zps

Rearranged right corner

811AF367-5225-4573-BDAE-86A84CA47923_zps

Left island

F5DD69E5-8D0B-478D-9C35-E885901CA77A_zps

Don't be too sure about that Harry. As your SPS and clams grow, their need for calcium and carbonate increases. Also, coralline algae is a huge user of alkalinity so as that increases, grows on your glass, back wall (scraped or not is not the point), it uses up those supplements too. That's the reason to check alk/cal routinely, to see if you're on track and to make sure the dosing is commensurate with the growth/usage in your tank.

Heres three weeks growth of a mystery acropora. Thoughts?

D7129593-C46D-4AE8-89F6-035292EAB1C5_zps

591BC7F6-B361-4776-B792-F9A99ABAFB06_zps[/url

WOW those pictures are blurry! Never mind haha

jedimasterben

I had a thread about it at one point. I tried both Instant ocean and Red Sea, both turn opaque white and stay like that 24 hours later with a powerhead and heater.

Were you adding salt to water or water to salt?

Were you adding salt to water or water to salt?

Salt to water. I've even watched videos of it; I just don't understand why it doesn't work for me haha.

I have RO water from the well, but something is reacting with the salt (I think).

I gave up on that a while ago, wouldn't worry about it.

So is the 500+ Ca having/going to have a negative effect on corals?

Stop dosing the cal and let fall to around 420 ish and than start dosing again. With 2 part it should be equal parts. Hate seeing people say otherwise lol.

You live in Florida. Go test some NSW. Sounds lame but will give you a good baseline. The LFS probably is not selling you high quality salt water nor would i think it would be consistent they usually have 16, 17 year old kids working for them. :)

btw the tank looks great

Stop dosing the cal and let fall to around 420 ish and than start dosing again. With 2 part it should be equal parts. Hate seeing people say otherwise lol.

You are telling me both to stop dosing Ca AND that you have to do equal parts?

I'm confused haha

I'm curious then what do you do if your alk is low and the cal is high if youre dosing two part or vice versa?

+1

You live in Florida. Go test some NSW. Sounds lame but will give you a good baseline. The LFS probably is not selling you high quality salt water nor would i think it would be consistent they usually have 16, 17 year old kids working for them. :)

btw the tank looks great

Hey the LFS water had been working so far; it's all I use! LFS for water changes and RO for top off

Why are you reccomending to test NSW? I thought NSW this close to shore was no good from pollutants

Bringing the new picture forward~

69725D85-CB7F-4BAE-B9E1-341E2D816C15_zps

jedimasterben

I'm curious then what do you do if your alk is low and the cal is high if youre dosing two part or vice versa?

That's covered in the RHF article I posted on the last page. :)

CRAP! So I took out the large pipe organ colony to see if I could shake out a few brittle stars, and I dropped it. Now I have 6 small pipe organ frags (~15 polyps each) and one medium pipe organ frag!

Pictures in a while when they come out.

Help. Too much pipe organ!

Man!! I always admired that beautiful piece!!! So healthy and happy. Was always sad it was stuck way in the back of your tank. What did you want the brittle stars out of it for? They just be a cleaning.

I did a brutal tank cleaning today, by far the biggest I've ever done.

Changes all floss (even bottom layer in media basket that's been there for 4 months!), MP40 wet side, return pumps, Media Reactor, heater, etc.

Tank is VERY pissed at me, everything is sort of closed up and/or sliming. Running extra carbon, and 25% water change tomorrow

Man!! I always admired that beautiful piece!!! So healthy and happy. Was always sad it was stuck way in the back of your tank. What did you want the brittle stars out of it for? They just be a cleaning.

I've had like 10 PMs asking me for brittles! Sadly I only could get one, and didn't have anywhere to put it so just let it free.

Would like to see the pipe frags when things settle down and they open up some.

Of course Ma'am! I have about 8 frags and 1 nice fist sized colony.

Would like to see the pipe frags when things settle down and they open up some.

Some frags. Very long because these were at edge of the colony

A6A51B53-C226-4630-AF80-6B0395584F12_zps

Archived