SaltCritters.com

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Ok, just had a minor panic attack. Was moving my clams around because one got knocked over during feeding time. Anyways, I flipped over my derasa to look at its foot and saw a bunch of tiny snails. I've never had or seen pyramid snails in person, so I immediately assumed that was what they were and started picking them off. Then I flipped over the other two clams to find more! I just spent the last half hour picking snails off of clams. Well so after I finally got my hands out of the tank, I figured I should google pyramid snails to see what I should do to kill them. Well, turns out that the tiny snails I was finding don't particularly look like pyramid snails. After some googling, I believe they may be colonista snails, but wanted to confirm with you all that they are indeed not pyramid snails. They're tiny, so sorry for the bad photo, but you can see the snail in the middle of the paper towel.

26951256286_31168d1b16_k.jpgIMG_3966 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

If these are colonista snails, are they completely safe? Should I worry about them at all? I swear the tank has hit that mature age where weird things start breeding in there. I haven't even added anything in several months, but I'm finding new, weird critters lately.

Anyways, please help appease my anxiety. My clams are my babies and they better not have pyramid snails!

I was going to say collonista sail as well which are reef safe but I am not sure why they hanging out on your clams foot? Maybe just hiding till night?

They can breed out of control but otherwise good algae eaters.

• Like 1

Is that a collonista? Make sure the shell is smooth, and all that jazz - you definitely don't want it to be a sundial snail. Sundials should have a small cone at the opening, I think?

• Like 1

I was going to say collonista sail as well which are reef safe but I am not sure why they hanging out on your clams foot? Maybe just hiding till night?

They can breed out of control but otherwise good algae eaters.

They weren't actually clustered on the clams' feet. I found a couple on the feet and then once I was looking I noticed more on different parts of the clams shell. I think they must just sort of be dispersed throughout the tank at this point, but I hadn't noticed them before. Hopefully they don't breed like crazy! Seeks like my tank is encouraging snail breeding lately because I have a big population of tiny limpets that are breeding in my sump now too!

Is that a collonista? Make sure the shell is smooth, and all that jazz - you definitely don't want it to be a sundial snail. Sundials should have a small cone at the opening, I think?

Yeah, I believe it is definitely a collonista! Thanks for helping relieve my fears! I looked up sundials and they're flatter than these ones I'm finding, so I think I'm safe. Whew! :)

Sounds fun :).

I googled those snails quickly and found something that looks like yours. Imaged linked to Reef Central. Looks like you are OK!!!! I would have freaked too!!!!

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204287

Seriously! Small panic attack the night before my entire family and some friends showed up in town for graduation. Glad it wasn't an actual crisis because I didn't have time to deal with an actual crisis. Thanks for helping confirm that they're harmless :)

Yea, colonistas good. I love those guys. Can't wait til I see some in my tank.

Whew! Good to know! I hope they help eat some algae then as an apology for giving me a heart attack :lol:

Sorry for being so MIA everyone! I've been entertaining family in town for graduation. My mom is still here hanging out, but she leaves Sunday, so after that I'll be back and I promise I'll take lots of new aquarium photos for you guys. In the meantime however, I thought I'd share a quick photo of me from graduation :D

27101334486_f703bfafaf_k.jpgIMG_0134(Edit and Crop) by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 11

Congrats again! :D

Great picture! You look thrilled, proud, all those wonderful things! As you should.

Nice job and congrats on the milestone in your life, now get back to reefing and stop playing with the books.

Thank you all! :D

Whew! This week is busy just because I'm trying to finish training some people in lab and getting my data and supplies all organized to leave. Friday is my last day in lab and then its vacation time! Anyways, I'm planning to do a water change and cleaning for the tank tonight, so tomorrow evening I'll plan to do a big photo shoot. Hang in there for a bit longer and then there will be tons of new photos! :)

• Like 6

They just posted a full Youtube video of the commencement ceremony. If you want to see me get hooded, just go to 1:53:30 :D

• Like 7

Well done Dr., well done.

Why thank you! :flower:

I made a gif of me getting hooded! I just love how my professor got it stuck on my mouth and made me laugh :lol:

K_5KE4.gif

• Like 8

DR. Livingston, I presume?

Dr. Dr. Give me the news...

:lol::D

Gagged at the ceremony, was that part of it? Lol

Yes, that was the commencement ceremony. Being hooded is part of the ceremony for being awarded a doctoral degree.

Congratulations, Dr. Felicia! What a great accomplishment :bowdown:

Thank you, Teeny! :D

How is it hanging Dr.F?

Damm you must be so happy/proud

Its going good! Definitely super happy/excited/proud and RELIEVED! Its been 6 long years and I'm ready to move on to the next phase of my life :) Just gotta make it through a few more days and I'm free. I'm just super busy training people, cleaning up all my lab spaces and desk, leaving all my data, etc. Lots to wrap up!

In interesting reef news, if you guys haven't seen yet, the Ornamental Aquatic Trade Associate published a very interesting report on the benefits of collecting wild fish for the hobby. It basically goes into how small the impact of collection for the hobby is compared to industrial scale fishing and other things. Basically, it discusses that a small amount of collection for the hobby is sustainable and bolsters the local economies of developing countries. Its an easy read and has some really nice graphics with the main points of the article. What do you guys think of their claims? Let's discuss!

http://www.ornamentalfish.org/wp-content/uploads/Wild-caught-ornamental-fish-the-trade-the-benefits-the-facts.pdf

27203063821_5c44cea19d_z.jpgScreen Shot 2016-05-26 at 3.16.55 PM by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 3

I took a bunch of photos for you all tonight, but its getting late, so I'll have to go through all of them and post them tomorrow evening. To tide you over though....

Here's a quick new FTS!

27368351245_4c5ed7c924_k.jpgIMG_4056 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 11

I took a bunch of photos for you all tonight, but its getting late, so I'll have to go through all of them and post them tomorrow evening. To tide you over though....

Here's a quick new FTS!

27368351245_4c5ed7c924_k.jpgIMG_4056 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

It looks amazing! :wub:

I love how the snowflake eel is posing for the picture in the front corner :)

• Like 1

It looks amazing! :wub:

I love how the snowflake eel is posing for the picture in the front corner :)

Thank you! Yeah Falkor is so fun and interactive. As soon as you get near the tank he comes out and starts begging for food. He's the favorite with all my friends because they come over and stand in front of the tank to look and he comes out to greet them :D Did you see Draco posing up in the top left corner? He was also begging for food. They just got fed the night before and they only need to eat 2-3 times a week, but they are such beggars!

Beautiful as ever Felicia... Excuse me, DR. Felicia! Congratulations! :D

Thank you so much! :D:flower:

• Like 1
Polarcollision

They weren't actually clustered on the clams' feet. I found a couple on the feet and then once I was looking I noticed more on different parts of the clams shell. I think they must just sort of be dispersed throughout the tank at this point, but I hadn't noticed them before. Hopefully they don't breed like crazy! Seeks like my tank is encouraging snail breeding lately because I have a big population of tiny limpets that are breeding in my sump now too!

Yeah, I believe it is definitely a collonista! Thanks for helping relieve my fears! I looked up sundials and they're flatter than these ones I'm finding, so I think I'm safe. Whew! :)

Whew! Good to know! I hope they help eat some algae then as an apology for giving me a heart attack :lol:

Sorry for being so MIA everyone! I've been entertaining family in town for graduation. My mom is still here hanging out, but she leaves Sunday, so after that I'll be back and I promise I'll take lots of new aquarium photos for you guys. In the meantime however, I thought I'd share a quick photo of me from graduation :D

27101334486_f703bfafaf_k.jpgIMG_0134(Edit and Crop) by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Limpets too? I'm 95% confident that both of those are likely to have come on a frag from my tank. The limpets are the best little hitchhikers I ever got and I hope they breed well for you too. They do such a better job of eating the green algae film than snails. The collonistas stay on the rock scape eating whatever they eat and maybe once a year may be to blame when the wavemaker stops spinning. Outside of that I hear they're really good for the tank's microfauna. If all that did come from me, keep an eye out for the 1/4" whitish chitons. They're also pretty fabulous.

Congrats again on the PhD and graduation! You are beaming in that photo.

• Like 1