Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Mr. Microscope

Congratulations Felicia! So awesome!

I was just looking at your Nature Communications paper. Nice work!

Where's your next position? Are you doing a post-doc or fellowship somewhere?

• Like 1

Beautiful fish! I love how adorably tiny they are! :)

Sorry for being so MIA the last couple weeks...I've just been crazy busy. But, I have good news....

You can now call me Dr. Felicia :D :lol:

26777210741_20a38e42f0_k.jpg

The tank is doing very well, although I've been neglecting it a bit since I've been busy. Need to give it a CRAZY deep clean this weekend. I'll still be a bit busy the next two weeks because I have family coming in town next Friday for graduation. After that though, I get a 6 week long vacation before I start my new job, so I'll be around more :) Also, I'll have some nice frags for sale soon. I have some blue sponge, green nepthea, and neon green toadstool frags that have been healed up and ready to go for quite some time, but I've just been too busy to deal with selling them. I'll get to that soon if anyone is interested :D

Congrats again :happydance:.

I love those See's lollypops! Hmmmm...Lollypop would be a cute name for a crested gecko LOL. I'm always thinking of names LOL.

Is that one chocolate?

• Like 4

CONGRATULATIONS FELICIA!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Dr. Svelund,

You are becoming a celebrity. I was talking to the guys at Albany Aquarium this week and I mentioned your latest tank.

They said "You know Felicia?!!! We would love to talk to her about her tank."

David

• Like 3

Congratulations Felicia! So awesome!

I was just looking at your Nature Communications paper. Nice work!

Where's your next position? Are you doing a post-doc or fellowship somewhere?

Thank you! I'm sure you know all about what a relief it is to finally by finished! Whew! :)

That's really a great paper, because one of our postdocs is an amazing biologist who does some beautiful staining and imaging work. That's his paper and he's headed off to a professorship next, so he's a super impressive guy. I did some of the beginning work for that paper on the patterning technique since I'm a materials engineer and not a biologist. I do some biology work, but my strength is definitely on the side of materials chemistry and characterization.

I've always wanted to go to industry after the PhD, so I've got a position lined up at a scientific consulting company called Exponent. Its in the Bay Area, so I don't have to relocate, which is nice. I'll be working in their Biomedical Engineering group. I start in July :)

Congrats again :happydance:.

I love those See's lollypops! Hmmmm...Lollypop would be a cute name for a crested gecko LOL. I'm always thinking of names LOL.

Is that one chocolate?

Thank you, Gena! It is one of those delicious chocolate lollipops, but I won't be eating it! Its too special. I'm totally putting it in a shadow box with that certificate :lol:

Lollipop would definitely be an adorable gecko name! :wub: I vote that's what you name the next new one or baby.

CONGRATULATIONS FELICIA!!!!!!!!!!

BTW Dr. Svelund,

You are becoming a celebrity. I was talking to the guys at Albany Aquarium this week and I mentioned your latest tank.

They said "You know Felicia?!!! We would love to talk to her about her tank."

David

Thank you!

That's too funny! I go in Albany Aquarium from time to time, but not too often. Mostly I go there when I need stuff for my freshwater planted betta tank, which isn't very often. I probably need to run by there sometime in the next couple weeks though because that tank needs some serious TLC. I'll have to say hi to them when I'm in there. I know the owners at Aquatic Collection, Diablo, and Neptune because I go to those enough or have worked with them as BAR sponsors, but Albany Aquarium is usually crowded when I'm there, so I've never really had a chat with the owners or employees.

Thank you so much everyone for all the congratulations! I'm definitely excited to celebrate by having family and friends come for graduation. I'm also going out for fancy cocktails this evening with friends to celebrate :)

• Like 5

"Thank you!

That's too funny! I go in Albany Aquarium from time to time, but not too often. Mostly I go there when I need stuff for my freshwater planted betta tank, which isn't very often. I probably need to run by there sometime in the next couple weeks though because that tank needs some serious TLC. I'll have to say hi to them when I'm in there. I know the owners at Aquatic Collection, Diablo, and Neptune because I go to those enough or have worked with them as BAR sponsors, but Albany Aquarium is usually crowded when I'm there, so I've never really had a chat with the owners or employees."

Albany Aquarium is near my son's Judo dojo; so I go there a lot. Hector is the guy that runs the saltwater dept. He is the guy

that really want to meet you.

They ordered a Talbot's Damsel for me recently. Cool fish.

I bought my new tank from Aquatic Collection. They have been good to me so far.

David

• Like 1
FlowerMama

How wonderful, now you can relax at least for 6 wks & do nothing, or do whatever you want and just breathe..aaaaah. And how perfect to already be lined up with a position. omgomgomg

• Like 2

Congratulations!!! That's a huge achievement!

Almost as cool as winning TOTM... :lol:

I dunno if I'd put it up quite that high on the list of achievements, theres definitely more Drs. running around then TOTM winners ;) Congrats all the same Felicia :lol:

• Like 2

I dunno if I'd put it up quite that high on the list of achievements, theres definitely more Drs. running around then TOTM winners ;) Congrats all the same Felicia :lol:

Yeah, but how many doctors have also won TOTM?

TOTM may be rarer, but TOTM+PhD is unheard of. ;-)

Felicia, congratulations on your PhD! Your tank is beautiful and very unique. I do love how it's dominated by large gorgs, softies and clams.

• Like 1

Felicia, congratulations on your PhD! Your tank is beautiful and very unique. I do love how it's dominated by large gorgs, softies and clams.

Good point.... Felicia I'm gonna get ahold of Eddie and have him bubble wrap you. We need to protect you until cloning can be more successful and legal :) lol

• Like 1

How wonderful, now you can relax at least for 6 wks & do nothing, or do whatever you want and just breathe..aaaaah. And how perfect to already be lined up with a position.

Yep! That's the plan is just to relax and recharge :) Sooo looking forward to it. I'm working in my lab through the end of the month and then I'm FREE!

Congratulations!!! That's a huge achievement!

Almost as cool as winning TOTM... :lol:

I dunno if I'd put it up quite that high on the list of achievements, theres definitely more Drs. running around then TOTM winners Congrats all the same Felicia

Thank you both! You're too funny! TOTM took WAY less time to achieve than the PhD though :lol: TOTM+PhD may be rare, but actually isn't unheard of. Mr. Microscope also has double TOTM wins and a PhD. So we're tied for rarest achievement combo on NR ;)

Congrats on the doctorate!! well deserved! And a fellow Californian! Cal is a cool university!

Thank you so much! And yep, Cal is a great school and its definitely in a nice location. I'm from Florida originally, but after living in Berkeley for 6 years, I don't want to leave. I ended up deciding to stay in the Bay Area after graduation.

Good point.... Felicia I'm gonna get ahold of Eddie and have him bubble wrap you. We need to protect you until cloning can be more successful and legal lol

Ha! I seriously doubt that I could do my water changes while wrapped in bubble wrap. Also, what person could walk around in bubble wrap and resist the urge to pop it all? :lol:

Cheers to engineers! Congrats

Thank you! Engineers are pretty awesome!

Wow! Congrats on finishing your degree!!! That's fantastic!

Thank you! You deserve some serious congratulations on winning TOTM! I was so stoked to see that your tank had been recognized. So well deserved!

• Like 1

So, this isn't reef related, but I wanted to show off my latest baking creation :) My friend's birthday dinner is tonight, so I made her a layer cake that is devil's food with Irish cream liqueur. The frosting is Irish cream liqueur/cream cheese and then there is a chocolate glaze on top. I'm pretty happy with how it came out considering how much harder layer cakes are to make look really nice than cupcakes.

26905116876_aa80f9aaa8_k.jpgIMG_3955 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 10
FlowerMama

Man oh man I could use some cake right now! I need to make cake myself then but that's dangerous being by myself and having cake!!

• Like 2

So, this isn't reef related, but I wanted to show off my latest baking creation :) My friend's birthday dinner is tonight, so I made her a layer cake that is devil's food with Irish cream liqueur. The frosting is Irish cream liqueur/cream cheese and then there is a chocolate glaze on top. I'm pretty happy with how it came out considering how much harder layer cakes are to make look really nice than cupcakes.

I love seeing the cakes and cupcakes, etc., that you make!!!!! I wish we lived closer to each other LOL.
  • Like 2

Looks yummy :)

• Like 1

Yummy, that looks delicious!

Thanks, Dawn! It was pretty yummy :) The bad things with cake is that you can't taste it to make sure it came out good like cupcakes. Luckily everyone loved it!

Man oh man I could use some cake right now! I need to make cake myself then but that's dangerous being by myself and having cake!!

Yeah, this is why I always bake when I know I can get a bunch of people to eat it. Its bad news for me to have a bunch of dessert all to myself.

I love seeing the cakes and cupcakes, etc., that you make!!!!! I wish we lived closer to each other LOL.

I'd definitely share if you lived closer! :)

Looks yummy :)

Thank you :)

Congratulations on completing your PhD Felicia!

Thank you, Jase! My family gets here tomorrow for graduation, so I'm over here trying to finish cleaning my house and doing laundry :lol:

• Like 4

So someone needs to make YOU a congratulatory cake!!!!

My family ordered me a fancy decorated cake from a local bakery for my graduation party :)
  • Like 2