Coral Vue Hydros

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

45 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

I saw your post on Gena's thread so I came over to see if there were any updates on this awesome tank.  I'm sorry to see the title says "retired" now but I can only hope it's because the Predator Paradise has gotten a great big upgrade! :happydance:

Agreed, I'm saddened to see it saying retired as well....  And definitely hope there's a newer, bigger tank for her fish that were all RAWWRRRRRR I'm a big bad lionfi...  Oooooooh, she has a camera, look at me I'm the cutest thing ever!

• Like 2
54 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Agreed, I'm saddened to see it saying retired as well....  And definitely hope there's a newer, bigger tank for her fish that were all RAWWRRRRRR I'm a big bad lionfi...  Oooooooh, she has a camera, look at me I'm the cutest thing ever!

Pretty much exactly yes! :lol:

• Like 1
Polarcollision

Awww, I was over here last week wondering how the tank was going. Hope you have some good news for us and that the post-doc life has left you time for reefing! NR isn't the same for me with both you and nanotopia gone. :-((((((

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...
On 5/29/2017 at 9:26 PM, WhiteWulfe said:

How's the tank doing?  Been a while since I've seen any updates on this one ^_^

On 6/13/2017 at 8:29 AM, Lula_Mae said:

I saw your post on Gena's thread so I came over to see if there were any updates on this awesome tank.  I'm sorry to see the title says "retired" now but I can only hope it's because the Predator Paradise has gotten a great big upgrade! :happydance:

On 6/13/2017 at 9:16 AM, WhiteWulfe said:

On 6/13/2017 at 10:11 AM, Lula_Mae said:

Pretty much exactly yes! :lol:

On 6/16/2017 at 11:33 AM, Polarcollision said:

Awww, I was over here last week wondering how the tank was going. Hope you have some good news for us and that the post-doc life has left you time for reefing! NR isn't the same for me with both you and nanotopia gone. :-((((((

On 6/16/2017 at 4:06 PM, Nano sapiens said:

Yeah, I wonder what's up, too.  This was a very attractive and unique setup.

Hi everyone!  Sorry for completely ghosting on NR, but my life just kind of got away from me and I really burned out on the hobby and needed a serious break.  I started in the reef hobby back in September of 2011, so I'd been constantly keeping a tank for over 5 years and I was just getting exhausted.  Going through tank crashes and other rough patches with the tanks over the years had made me consider taking down my tanks multiple times, but I kept managing to get myself back into it and keep it going.  I finally just hit my limit and really needed a break from the hobby for a while.  Also, transitioning from school to focusing on my career really just took up a lot of my time and energy.  I absolutely love my job, but it can be exhausting at times since I'm in consulting and it can be hectic and change suddenly from day to day just depending on what clients want/need.  Sometimes I would have the time and energy to focus on the tank and then I'd be really hectic at work for a few weeks and not want to have to worry about dealing with the tank.  The amount of maintenance was just really wearing on me on the days when I wanted to just not be obligated to deal with it.

I took down my reef tank on February 29, 2017, so almost 6 months ago.  All the inhabitants except the predators went to two friends in the local club.  No one had a setup to house the predators, so they went to a LFS that I trust.  Falkor is in one of the display tanks being awesome.  Anyway, I just wanted to finally give everyone an update on the tank.

• Like 5
  • Sad 2
3 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Hi everyone!  Sorry for completely ghosting on NR, but my life just kind of got away from me and I really burned out on the hobby and needed a serious break.  I started in the reef hobby back in September of 2011, so I'd been constantly keeping a tank for over 5 years and I was just getting exhausted.  Going through tank crashes and other rough patches with the tanks over the years had made me consider taking down my tanks multiple times, but I kept managing to get myself back into it and keep it going.  I finally just hit my limit and really needed a break from the hobby for a while.  Also, transitioning from school to focusing on my career really just took up a lot of my time and energy.  I absolutely love my job, but it can be exhausting at times since I'm in consulting and it can be hectic and change suddenly from day to day just depending on what clients want/need.  Sometimes I would have the time and energy to focus on the tank and then I'd be really hectic at work for a few weeks and not want to have to worry about dealing with the tank.  The amount of maintenance was just really wearing on me on the days when I wanted to just not be obligated to deal with it.

I took down my reef tank on February 29, 2017, so almost 6 months ago.  All the inhabitants except the predators went to two friends in the local club.  No one had a setup to house the predators, so they went to a LFS that I trust.  Falkor is in one of the display tanks being awesome.  Anyway, I just wanted to finally give everyone an update on the tank.

I can totally understand burnout, when I've worked a lot of shifts at work close together, I barely remember to feed myself and Violet (my hedgehog), let alone tank maintenance.  Hopefully after some time away you can think about coming back refreshed, maybe try a reefbowl or something, once you've gotten settled into your job and whatnot.  You can always come back to post Lily pics. ;)

• Like 3
Nano sapiens
5 hours ago, Felicia said:

Hi everyone!  Sorry for completely ghosting on NR, but my life just kind of got away from me and I really burned out on the hobby...

Understandable, as this is a hobby that demands regular attention.  When life becomes more settled, you'll likely get the itch to start up again :)

• Like 3

Hopefully you will come back soon!  This tank has been such an inspiration for me.  I am still planning my own predator tank.  I dont know if you remember,  but I have major tank envy for this since eels are one of my favorite animals (huge alien franchise fan haha) and wanted to convert my 85 when upgraded (instead we moved accroas the country lol). Hopefully I can set it up in the next year or two.  Husband has green lighted me to start collecting for it. lol  I hope it can be just half as beautiful as yours.

• Like 3
12 hours ago, Lula_Mae said:

I can totally understand burnout, when I've worked a lot of shifts at work close together, I barely remember to feed myself and Violet (my hedgehog), let alone tank maintenance.  Hopefully after some time away you can think about coming back refreshed, maybe try a reefbowl or something, once you've gotten settled into your job and whatnot.  You can always come back to post Lily pics. ;)

Lily pics can definitely be arranged!  She takes priority over tanks, so she's still as spoiled as ever.  Yeah when I'm busy at work, plus I have a long commute now, I just don't want to come home to a tank that needs a bunch of work.  Its too bad this hobby isn't like others where when you're busy, you can just not do anything with the hobby until you want to again.  

6 hours ago, Nano sapiens said:

Understandable, as this is a hobby that demands regular attention.  When life becomes more settled, you'll likely get the itch to start up again :)

Exactly!  Its not like most hobbies where you just don't do it when you're busy, tired, or traveling.  Its so stressful to watch a tank decline and feel bad that you're not caring for it properly when you don't have time.

4 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Hopefully you will come back soon!  This tank has been such an inspiration for me.  I am still planning my own predator tank.  I dont know if you remember,  but I have major tank envy for this since eels are one of my favorite animals (huge alien franchise fan haha) and wanted to convert my 85 when upgraded (instead we moved accroas the country lol). Hopefully I can set it up in the next year or two.  Husband has green lighted me to start collecting for it. lol  I hope it can be just half as beautiful as yours.

Well I still highly recommend predators.  They were some of my favorite fish ever and it was hard to give them up.  Falkor (the eel) was the last to get delivered the day the tank came down.  I'd done well until then with everything, but then when I got to the LFS with him to drop him off, I ended up crying.  I think they thought I was nuts, haha!  In the long run it was better for him because I just didn't have the time/energy to invest in the tank upgrade he needed.  I'll be looking forward to see what you set up!  85 is a good size for predators :)  Eels are one of my favorites too!  I just wish they had mini eels for nano tanks...well of course there are garden eels but those are put near impossible to keep in an aquarium.

1 hour ago, gena said:

:happydance:  I love Thursdays LOL

:lol::P:ninja:

Anyways, I decided to finally deliver the bad news that I had taken the tank down because I may have some good news.  A 6 month break is a good long time...

• Like 4
  • Wow 1
21 minutes ago, Felicia said:

Lily pics can definitely be arranged!  She takes priority over tanks, so she's still as spoiled as ever.  Yeah when I'm busy at work, plus I have a long commute now, I just don't want to come home to a tank that needs a bunch of work.  Its too bad this hobby isn't like others where when you're busy, you can just not do anything with the hobby until you want to again.  

Exactly!  Its not like most hobbies where you just don't do it when you're busy, tired, or traveling.  Its so stressful to watch a tank decline and feel bad that you're not caring for it properly when you don't have time.

Well I still highly recommend predators.  They were some of my favorite fish ever and it was hard to give them up.  Falkor (the eel) was the last to get delivered the day the tank came down.  I'd done well until then with everything, but then when I got to the LFS with him to drop him off, I ended up crying.  I think they thought I was nuts, haha!  In the long run it was better for him because I just didn't have the time/energy to invest in the tank upgrade he needed.  I'll be looking forward to see what you set up!  85 is a good size for predators :)  Eels are one of my favorites too!  I just wish they had mini eels for nano tanks...well of course there are garden eels but those are put near impossible to keep in an aquarium.

:lol::P:ninja:

Anyways, I decided to finally deliver the bad news that I had taken the tank down because I may have some good news.  A 6 month break is a good long time...

My commute is close to an hour, and only three days a week, so I totally feel you on that!  I can't imagine doing it 5 days a week.  I saw an antennata lionfish in an LFS a few months ago and it made me think of this tank, it was gorgeous to see in person!

Commutes are awful. :furious:  Mine is about 70-80 minutes one way, assuming no traffic. So on a good day I'm only out of the house 7AM-6:30PM. Recently work has been hectic enough that I'm out of the house 7AM-8PM on the average day.

1 minute ago, Mariaface said:

Commutes are awful. :furious:  Mine is about 70-80 minutes one way, assuming no traffic. So on a good day I'm only out of the house 7AM-6:30PM. Recently work has been hectic enough that I'm out of the house 7AM-8PM on the average day.

Yeah, mine's 12h shifts so it was 5:30AM to 8:30 or 9 PM...now I'm switching to nights so it'll be the opposite lol.  It's hard being gone more than half of your day!

1 minute ago, Lula_Mae said:

Yeah, mine's 12h shifts so it was 5:30AM to 8:30 or 9 PM...now I'm switching to nights so it'll be the opposite lol.  It's hard being gone more than half of your day!

Yikes! Are you even to be home while the tank lights are on, or just a subset of the time?

5 minutes ago, Mariaface said:

Yikes! Are you even to be home while the tank lights are on, or just a subset of the time?

I catch the last half hour-hour or so.  It's set something like 1:30-9:30 or 10.  That's all though lol.  I'll see it more while on nights.

1 hour ago, Felicia said:

Just had to highlight and quote this right here :happydance:

• Like 5
On 8/17/2017 at 4:23 PM, Christopher Marks said:

omgomgomg 

On 8/17/2017 at 7:54 PM, Lula_Mae said:

55563408.jpg

I'm working on things over here...a post will be coming later tonight....:D

• Like 4
15 minutes ago, Felicia said:

I'm working on things over here...a post will be coming later tonight....:D

2011 was a lame excuse I started in 2009 :) looking forward to hearing the news girl!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
9 hours ago, Lawnman said:

2011 was a lame excuse I started in 2009 :) looking forward to hearing the news girl!

Clearly you have more stamina than me :P

Alright, the news is here:

• Like 4

I'm sorry to see that you took this tank down Felicia but I can totally understand the reasons. Reefing can be a big part of our lives and amongst all other things sometimes something just has to give. I've considered shutting down every tank that i've had at some point in time. I'm glad to see that this was short lived though, I'll have to check out the new thread :).

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, RollaJase said:

I'm sorry to see that you took this tank down Felicia but I can totally understand the reasons. Reefing can be a big part of our lives and amongst all other things sometimes something just has to give. I've considered shutting down every tank that i've had at some point in time. I'm glad to see that this was short lived though, I'll have to check out the new thread :).

Yeah, I'm still sad about taking down this tank, but it just needed to happen.  This hobby can just be exhausting.  I think all the ups and downs are just part of this hobby.  But in the end, its an addiction and I couldn't stay away long.  Its nice to be back!

• Like 1