Top Shelf Aquatics

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

You'll probably be ok, things can live cooler than too hot. It was 66 in my pail and while my royal gramma didn't make it, Gertie did. SInce it's a slow decrease in temp they may just be fine.

No lion today. FedEx left him at the airport. :rant::(:tears:

Oh no! Well don't give up hope. I've had packages held up and expected everything to be dead and then was pleasantly surprised that everything was alive and well. Luckily volitans are very hardy if the fish was healthy to begin with, so it may be just fine. Cooler temps usually aren't too much of a concern with fish as compared to corals. Volitans have been shown to be able to survive in basically temperate water temperatures, so as long as he's got a good water volume for waste, an extra day shouldn't hurt. Fingers crossed for you! What else is in this shipment?

Here on the Gulf Side of FloriDUH, Lion Fish have become an Invasive species. Fishermen and Spearfishing these fish are encouraged.

Some Restaurants have even started offering it on their Menus. I Believe our local Grocery store (Publix) can and will order it or get it in for ya if ya want it.

Sorry about mentioning about the fish as food, but it was brought up earlier, so, just giving a heads up.

Yeah, I completely support spear fishing for the invasive lionfish in the Caribbean, Florida, and up the east coast. No reason not to encourage eating them to help control the populations. I eat tons of seafood, so I don't have any issues with eating fish and also having fish as pets. I'm headed back to Florida this summer to visit a friend, so I'm thinking I'll give lionfish a try at one of the local restaurants. Man, I miss Publix! Best grocery store ever. I don't miss Florida too much, but Publix is one of those things I wish we had in CA. Instead I'm stuck with Safeway.

• Like 1

You'll probably be ok, things can live cooler than too hot. It was 66 in my pail and while my royal gramma didn't make it, Gertie did. SInce it's a slow decrease in temp they may just be fine.

Oh no! Well don't give up hope. I've had packages held up and expected everything to be dead and then was pleasantly surprised that everything was alive and well. Luckily volitans are very hardy if the fish was healthy to begin with, so it may be just fine. Cooler temps usually aren't too much of a concern with fish as compared to corals. Volitans have been shown to be able to survive in basically temperate water temperatures, so as long as he's got a good water volume for waste, an extra day shouldn't hurt. Fingers crossed for you! What else is in this shipment?

Yeah, I completely support spear fishing for the invasive lionfish in the Caribbean, Florida, and up the east coast. No reason not to encourage eating them to help control the populations. I eat tons of seafood, so I don't have any issues with eating fish and also having fish as pets. I'm headed back to Florida this summer to visit a friend, so I'm thinking I'll give lionfish a try at one of the local restaurants. Man, I miss Publix! Best grocery store ever. I don't miss Florida too much, but Publix is one of those things I wish we had in CA. Instead I'm stuck with Safeway.

Water volume is the bigger concern. He's a BIG fish. Tomorrow will tell.

There are a also a pair of blue tangs, a couple of rics, a starfish and a royal gramma in the shipment.

I already spoke with the supplier and he has filed a claim with FedEx. He said he will work with me on replacements of things don't survive.

• Like 3

There are a also a pair of blue tangs, a couple of rics, a starfish and a royal gramma in the shipment.

I already spoke with the supplier and he has filed a claim with FedEx. He said he will work with me on replacements of things don't survive.

That is awesome news to hear! But, still, I hope U won't have to use a replacement. That would tell us ur Initial shipment perished :(

Yeah, water volume is usually the deciding factor in how well shipping goes. Hopefully they put the fish in a very large bag. Also, hopefully they didn't feed him shortly before shipping. That's quite the shipment! I hope it all makes it safe and sound tomorrow! Glad to hear the supplier will at least replace anything that doesn't make it. Its just always sad opening a box with dead fish. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Yeah, water volume is usually the deciding factor in how well shipping goes. Hopefully they put the fish in a very large bag. Also, hopefully they didn't feed him shortly before shipping. That's quite the shipment! I hope it all makes it safe and sound tomorrow! Glad to hear the supplier will at least replace anything that doesn't make it. Its just always sad opening a box with dead fish. Fingers crossed!

Meet Mofo. Yeah he's a bad ass. He takes up the entire bottom of a 5 gallon pail.

AI525Yt.jpg

Surprisingly, almost everything else survived the ordeal. The tangs look surprisingly good. I don't think the Royal Gramma is going to make it.

The starfish's bag leaked and he was curled up in a ball with no water in the bag, but is now already cruising around in the tank like this was all no big deal.

1O88CRY.jpg

So happy things are working out better than I feared.

• Like 6

Meet Mofo. Yeah he's a bad ass. He takes up the entire bottom of a 5 gallon pail.

AI525Yt.jpg

Surprisingly, almost everything else survived the ordeal. The tangs look surprisingly good. I don't think the Royal Gramma is going to make it.

The starfish's bag leaked and he was curled up in a ball with no water in the bag, but is now already cruising around in the tank like this was all no big deal.

1O88CRY.jpg

Yay! I was optimistic they would be ok, but so glad to see his today!!! Mofo is a BEAST! That is one heck of a fish. He's going to be such a centerpiece of your tank. I love how even when they get huge like that, they're so serene and graceful with those fins. I'm glad you decided to get the big volitans to go with your triggers. Good call! I'm sure he'll be just as interactive as the trigger in no time. So is he going in QT for a while?

Glad to hear the rest of the shipment made it too. Starfish can be hardier than you'd expect. Glad to see it perked right up. Sorry about the gramma. Maybe it will surprise you and pull through. I'm just glad this wasn't a box full of dead stuff. Seems like a pretty healthy shipment overall.

• Like 1

Yay! I was optimistic they would be ok, but so glad to see his today!!! Mofo is a BEAST! That is one heck of a fish. He's going to be such a centerpiece of your tank. I love how even when they get huge like that, they're so serene and graceful with those fins. I'm glad you decided to get the big volitans to go with your triggers. Good call! I'm sure he'll be just as interactive as the trigger in no time. So is he going in QT for a while?

Glad to hear the rest of the shipment made it too. Starfish can be hardier than you'd expect. Glad to see it perked right up. Sorry about the gramma. Maybe it will surprise you and pull through. I'm just glad this wasn't a box full of dead stuff. Seems like a pretty healthy shipment overall.

Everything seems to be doing ok. Even the lettuce nudis I had already written off as hopeless seem like they are going to be just fine.

Yes, he's in QT for awhile. He's already eating frozen supposedly so this is just precautions against disease.

• Like 1

AI525Yt.jpg

That is such a cool fish!

• Like 2

Everything seems to be doing ok. Even the lettuce nudis I had already written off as hopeless seem like they are going to be just fine.

Yes, he's in QT for awhile. He's already eating frozen supposedly so this is just precautions against disease.

Yay! Sounds like wherever you got this shipment from has some healthy critters and knows how to pack them well. That's always key :) You're so responsible with the quarantining. I'm always a horrible person and just put fish straight in my tank. I'm impressed with you maintaining so many tanks while you quarantine!

The original plan was to qt elsewhere, but things kinda got messed up with that.

I guess I can spill the beans and say it was KPA that everything came from . I have been on the phone several times with Philipp through the whole ordeal and I can only say he has been great to work with.

• Like 2

The original plan was to qt elsewhere, but things kinda got messed up with that.

I guess I can spill the beans and say it was KPA that everything came from . I have been on the phone several times with Philipp through the whole ordeal and I can only say he has been great to work with.

Yeah I remember you were originally QT'ing elsewhere. Probably better to do it yourself and have control of everything, but man that's a lot of work. Especially with a big tank like this though, you don't want to introduce a disease, so its good that you're putting in the effort to do it.

I thought the order might have been from KPA! They are top notch and they definitely know how to ship! I have placed quite a few orders with them over the years and I've never had anything arrive dead, let alone not looking super happy and healthy. I've even had packages from them get delayed before too without any issues. Glad they were able to get the volitan for you! I may have to ask them to get me one when I eventually upgrade to a big tank. It'd be fun to know I pulled one out of the Florida Keys :)

• Like 1

I just love KPA. I've only ordered once, but everything was so healthy and they answered all my questions before I even ordered.

That lion is so gorgeous!!!

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...

finally got a decent pic of one of these little guys

26549169540_10c5875f87_z.jpg

Got a tiny waspfish today, but its still a little shy

26821748545_d50b149d49_z.jpg

Beautiful fish! I love how adorably tiny they are! :)

Sorry for being so MIA the last couple weeks...I've just been crazy busy. But, I have good news....

You can now call me Dr. Felicia :D :lol:

26777210741_20a38e42f0_k.jpg

The tank is doing very well, although I've been neglecting it a bit since I've been busy. Need to give it a CRAZY deep clean this weekend. I'll still be a bit busy the next two weeks because I have family coming in town next Friday for graduation. After that though, I get a 6 week long vacation before I start my new job, so I'll be around more :) Also, I'll have some nice frags for sale soon. I have some blue sponge, green nepthea, and neon green toadstool frags that have been healed up and ready to go for quite some time, but I've just been too busy to deal with selling them. I'll get to that soon if anyone is interested :D

• Like 18

Beautiful fish! I love how adorably tiny they are! :)

Sorry for being so MIA the last couple weeks...I've just been crazy busy. But, I have good news....

You can now call me Dr. Felicia :D :lol:

26777210741_20a38e42f0_k.jpg

The tank is doing very well, although I've been neglecting it a bit since I've been busy. Need to give it a CRAZY deep clean this weekend. I'll still be a bit busy the next two weeks because I have family coming in town next Friday for graduation. After that though, I get a 6 week long vacation before I start my new job, so I'll be around more :) Also, I'll have some nice frags for sale soon. I have some blue sponge, green nepthea, and neon green toadstool frags that have been healed up and ready to go for quite some time, but I've just been too busy to deal with selling them. I'll get to that soon if anyone is interested :D

omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg OH MY!! Congrats!! B)

• Like 1