Cultivated Reef

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

In random lionfish news, apparently Whole Foods on the west coast is going to start selling fresh lionfish at the seafood counter to help with the Atlantic ocean lionfish invasion.

https://reefbuilders.com/2016/04/11/fresh-lionfish-whole-foods/

Ok, so now the question is, would it be really weird for me to go get some lionfish fillet from Whole Foods? I kind of want to try it, but it feels sort of like I'd be eating my pet :lol:

I feel the same way... :unsure: Lions got me in this hobby.

• Like 2

It is! Its gotten bigger and is super puffy. I love the pink color on it. Its a bit hidden in the back right corner, so I'll have to remember to take some photos of it next time I take photos.

I thought it looked pretty happy and fluffy in the video :).
  • Like 1

I feel the same way... :unsure: Lions got me in this hobby.

Yeah, I think I'll skip eating lionfish unless it presents itself to me for free and already cooked. :lol: Not going to make an effort to try it. I do however love seafood way too much! As pets and to eat... :lol:

I thought it looked pretty happy and fluffy in the video :).

It is! Supposedly colt corals can sting and are aggressive, but mine has started touching things with how puffy its gotten, but so far it hasn't created any issues at all. Hopefully it stays that way, or I'm already going to need to frag it!

I heard it was really good anyway but yeah, morally, it would be kinda hard.

Yeah I hear its yummy! If I happen to be somewhere that's serving it, I may just have to try it, but I won't make an effort to go find it and cook it myself.

• Like 2

Yeah, no way I could cook it myself, have to handle it. I've had 3 pet rabbits in the past. One was a 14 lb Flemish Giant. I could never eat rabbit prepared for me or not.

• Like 1

Yeah, no way I could cook it myself, have to handle it. I've had 3 pet rabbits in the past. One was a 14 lb Flemish Giant. I could never eat rabbit prepared for me or not.

I definitely feel like rabbit would definitely be different. As much as I love my fish, it wouldn't remotely be the same as eating a rabbit. Fish aren't exactly cuddly or bonded with people. I mostly wouldn't want to handle lionfish because the prep to get all the skins and spine off would be awful! I think whole foods is supposed to be selling it as already prepped fillet, so it wouldn't be obvious it was a lionfish. It would just look like a fish fillet. I think that would make it not so bad!

How were the rabbits as pets btw? I've always thought they were so cool but then they seem like very high maintenance pets. Especially with fish tanks! I know they're wire chewers and my tank is heaven in terms of tangles of wires :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, chewing can be an issue. My big huge one was awesome though, she'd jump in her cage, do her business, come out. She could leap over a baby gate. it got old cleaning the cage though. Cleaning tanks is better. Her ears were like 8" long, pink inside like Bugs. She was vengeful once too, pissed on the bed.

• Like 1

Yeah, chewing can be an issue. My big huge one was awesome though, she'd jump in her cage, do her business, come out. She could leap over a baby gate. it got old cleaning the cage though. Cleaning tanks is better. Her ears were like 8" long, pink inside like Bugs. She was vengeful once too, pissed on the bed.

It must depend on the rabbit because the experience I have had with them was not cuddly and huggable. They seemed to not like to be held. And those nails :wacko:. I had some pretty big scratches as a kid. Maybe it depends on the rabbit. It's cool that they can be litter box trained though!

I definitely feel like rabbit would definitely be different. As much as I love my fish, it wouldn't remotely be the same as eating a rabbit. Fish aren't exactly cuddly or bonded with people. I mostly wouldn't want to handle lionfish because the prep to get all the skins and spine off would be awful! I think whole foods is supposed to be selling it as already prepped fillet, so it wouldn't be obvious it was a lionfish. It would just look like a fish fillet. I think that would make it not so bad!

How were the rabbits as pets btw? I've always thought they were so cool but then they seem like very high maintenance pets. Especially with fish tanks! I know they're wire chewers and my tank is heaven in terms of tangles of wires :lol:

I had a pet rabbit as a child that we trained to a litter pan like a cat. Sadly she met her demise when she bit through the power cable to the TV one night. Still think they are tasty. I have no problems eating any of the animals we raise, we just don't make pets out of them anymore.

It must depend on the rabbit because the experience I have had with them was not cuddly and huggable. They seemed to not like to be held. And those nails :wacko:. I had some pretty big scratches as a kid. Maybe it depends on the rabbit. It's cool that they can be litter box trained though!

I had a pet rabbit as a child that we trained to a litter pan like a cat. Sadly she met her demise when she bit through the power cable to the TV one night. Still think they are tasty. I have no problems eating any of the animals we raise, we just don't make pets out of them anymore.

Ok, not sure rabbits sound that thrilling anymore. They're so cute, but seem to have a lot more behavior issues than cats, dogs, and fish. I'll stick to my fluffy Lily. :)

In tank news....I FINALLY TOOK A BREAK FROM WRITING AND DID A WATER CHANGE AND DEEP CLEANING LAST NIGHT! Everything was still pretty happy, but the tank was definitely in need of a cleaning. Looks so much nicer today. Now back to my regularly scheduled programming (aka writing), but at least I have a clean tank to look at while I write.

• Like 1

I worked in pet stores when I was younger, and there are two pets I will never have because of smell/attitude: rabbits and tortoises. :wacko:

Sure your own pets are better when you take care of them, but those animals were far worse than anything else in the store. 1 female rabbit > multiple ferrets. And I second Gena's nails experience. Awful headbutts too. They're vicious really, look at the bones :rolleyes:

• Like 1

I worked in pet stores when I was younger, and there are two pets I will never have because of smell/attitude: rabbits and tortoises. :wacko:

Sure your own pets are better when you take care of them, but those animals were far worse than anything else in the store. 1 female rabbit > multiple ferrets. And I second Gena's nails experience. Awful headbutts too. They're vicious really, look at the bones :rolleyes:

Ok yeah, definitely not! I cannot handle pets that smell. I remember when I was little I wanted basically every kind of pet because I just loved animals. I have decided that I will never again have birds or small rodents (ie hamsters) because they are so smelly! I always see things and think they're adorable and then realize, wait, nope...not something I want as a pet! :lol:

I definitely appreciate Lily (my cat) because she doesn't smell at all! I love dogs too, but they're even a bit smelly for me :lol:

• Like 2

Having had fresh lionfish (caught that morning), lemme tell ya DAMN it is tasty when grilled up.

I bet! Fresh seafood is always the best! I love going out on a dive boat when some of the divers are spear fishing. You get out of the water got lunch and they grill up some fresh caught fish. MMMMM. That's the best. Lionfish is basically a white fish, right? Pretty mild?

• Like 1

I bet! Fresh seafood is always the best! I love going out on a dive boat when some of the divers are spear fishing. You get out of the water got lunch and they grill up some fresh caught fish. MMMMM. That's the best. Lionfish is basically a white fish, right? Pretty mild?

I didn't go diving, but I got it at a restaurant at the beach where they spearfished in the morning and did lunch/dinners for IIRC like $18 or so. I thought it was pretty mild, and I'm not huge on the "fishy" flavor.

I didn't go diving, but I got it at a restaurant at the beach where they spearfished in the morning and did lunch/dinners for IIRC like $18 or so. I thought it was pretty mild, and I'm not huge on the "fishy" flavor.

I'm going back to Florida to visit a friend this summer, so maybe I'll try some while I'm there! I pretty much love all seafood, so I'm sure I'd like it. Just don't tell my pet lionfish! haha

• Like 1

Volitan incoming... :ninja:

:haha:omgomgomg:happydance:

Ooooooh! This is SUPER exciting! Is it a nice big one? Granted the tiny baby ones are adorable and they grow fast, so either way is good!

Ooooooh! This is SUPER exciting! Is it a nice big one? Granted the tiny baby ones are adorable and they grow fast, so either way is good!

XXL is the size. Should be over 7 inches.

He'll be in QT for a couple weeks but I get to see him tomorrow.

• Like 1

XXL is the size. Should be over 7 inches.

He'll be in QT for a couple weeks but I get to see him tomorrow.

That's going to be a big lion! Mine are all in the 2-4" range, so they'd be tiny by comparison. Can't wait to see him in your tank in a few weeks! I hope he looks nice and healthy when you go see him tomorrow.

• Like 1

I'm going back to Florida to visit a friend this summer, so maybe I'll try some while I'm there! I pretty much love all seafood, so I'm sure I'd like it. Just don't tell my pet lionfish! haha

Here on the Gulf Side of FloriDUH, Lion Fish have become an Invasive species. Fishermen and Spearfishing these fish are encouraged.

Some Restaurants have even started offering it on their Menus. I Believe our local Grocery store (Publix) can and will order it or get it in for ya if ya want it.

Sorry about mentioning about the fish as food, but it was brought up earlier, so, just giving a heads up.

• Like 2

Is it gonna be ok?

Prolly not, but I guess we'll see if they can get it to me tomorrow morning. Worst thing is, he's not the only thing in the box. I'm not holding out much hope that anything will survive, but there is a pretty large volume of water and so the temperature should stay fairly stable with a 40 hour heat pack.