SaltCritters.com

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Ok so Whole Foods in Florida now sells lionfish so I just had to try some! My friend and I bought two whole lionfish and I made lionfish tacos. They're corn tortillas with beer battered fried lionfish, cabbage slaw, and chipotle crema. It was delicious! I only feel mildly guilty for eating lionfish ;)

26B8DABA-021A-497C-A827-43DFA0B4D5C3_3.j

E5424301-3492-40D3-9CB4-17601CDD460C.jpg

8389F6A7-DB68-4C68-98BB-BB73C569D93D.jpg

6678AD00-ACAA-425C-8CFB-CA0B3851B989.jpg

Thank you! Glad you enjoyed it!

Unfortunately, Lion fish are a pest down here in Florida. They are beautiful, but they have no natural predators and they eat everything. I haven't done it yet, but we have lion fish hunts to try to eradicate them from our waters. I've heard they are delicious. Did whole foods filet them for you?

• Like 2

Unfortunately, Lion fish are a pest down here in Florida. They are beautiful, but they have no natural predators and they eat everything. I haven't done it yet, but we have lion fish hunts to try to eradicate them from our waters. I've heard they are delicious. Did whole foods filet them for you?

I have heard that they are an Invasive Species and There is No Closed "Season" to keep them. I have also heard they are quite tasty.

I think some restaurants around here have it on their Menus. I'd like to try some :)

• Like 2

Yes, the volitan lionfish is an invasive species in Florida waters. They're encouraging fishing to try to control the populations. Lionfish is actually pretty tasty, so it seems like a good plan. I doubt they'll ever be able to fully eradicate them, but they hopefully they can control the population.

And yep, Whole Foods filleted them for us. I definitely didn't want to tackle filleting them myself.

I have heard that they are an Invasive Species and There is No Closed "Season" to keep them. I have also heard they are quite tasty.

I think some restaurants around here have it on their Menus. I'd like to try some :)

Yes, they're trying to control the population by encouraging people to hunt and eat lionfish. There wasn't a restaurant near where I'm visiting that had it on their menu, so I decided to cook some myself. It was very yummy, so you should definitely try some.

That awkward moment when:

1jI7FBp.jpg

Haha! That looks about right! Shhh, don't tell my lionfish. They'll never know! Plus my lionfish eat sashimi salmon anyway haha!
  • Like 3

Looks delicious! I think I'd have a hard time preparing it if I owned one but if I was out at a restaurant I could just gobble it up I'm sure. Was it hard removing the spines & gills?

Looks delicious! I think I'd have a hard time preparing it if I owned one but if I was out at a restaurant I could just gobble it up I'm sure. Was it hard removing the spines & gills?

Whole Foods filleted it for me, so by the time I left the store it just looked like the generic fish fillets you buy all the time at the store. I didn't want to clean it, but cooking the fish fillets didn't bother me at all.

Whole Foods filleted it for me, so by the time I left the store it just looked like the generic fish fillets you buy all the time at the store. I didn't want to clean it, but cooking the fish fillets didn't bother me at all.

Oh cool, I didn't know they did that. We have a Whole Foods here too. Maybe one day I'll see if they have it.

• Like 1

I hope you are having an enjoyable vacation. Mine was great and the seahorses did fine under my sister's capable care. Your coral and fish look great. I loved the video.

The lionfish tacos looked yummy and I would definitely try something like that. I doubt I would even feel a twinge of guilt, ha ha!

• Like 1

Oh cool, I didn't know they did that. We have a Whole Foods here too. Maybe one day I'll see if they have it.

Yeah I have a feeling if they can sell it successfully in Florida that they'll expand to other locations. Apparently lionfish have made it all the way up to New York, so you'd definitely have some in your local waters.

I hope you are having an enjoyable vacation. Mine was great and the seahorses did fine under my sister's capable care. Your coral and fish look great. I loved the video.

The lionfish tacos looked yummy and I would definitely try something like that. I doubt I would even feel a twinge of guilt, ha ha!

I am! Its super relaxing! Glad to hear your seahorses did well! Sounds like you're sister has the hang of being your tank sitter. My tank seems to be doing well so far. I've been getting updates from my tank sitters and I check it with my WiFi camera. All looks well! It will just need a scrub down when I get home.

Glad you enjoyed my video! I always have fun putting those together :) The lionfish tacos were delicious. I never feel guilty eating any kind of seafood. While in Florida I had fried gator tail, fried conch, lionfish, and raw salmon in sushi...I'm probably forgetting some other seafood I ate haha!

Fun Announcement! :happydance:

One of my photos of my tank/lionfish made the cover of Reef Hobbyist magazine! omgomgomg There's also a whole feature article on my tank with more photos inside the issue. The electronic version won't be released for another week or two, but the print version has already shown up in the local fish stores. Its free, so feel free to grab a copy when you go to your LFS and check out the photos and article on my tank! If your LFS doesn't carry it, you can grab the PDF version off the Reef Hobbyist website soon! :D

27908479472_6d0a9627d8_k.jpgIMG_2854 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 14

Congrats and that's a very cool/interesting photo!

Thank you! I thought that photo turned out really cool because of the nice reflections of both lionfish on the water surface. The lionfish are just way too much fun to photograph :)

Wow, congratulations!

Thank you! I'm pretty excited :D

• Like 1

That's awesome! :) gorgeous picture, I love how clear the reflection is.

And

Congrats on the magazine cover. That's awesome. More lionfish love

AWESOME!

• Like 1

That's awesome! :) gorgeous picture, I love how clear the reflection is.

Thank you! Yeah I thought this photo was so fun with the two lionfish and their reflections. I was thrilled that it was selected for the cover! I'm glad you like it! :)

Congrats on the magazine cover. That's awesome. More lionfish love

Thank you! I'm pretty excited about it! I have definitely fallen in love with lionfish, so I'm glad to be able to share the love!

And

AWESOME!

Thank you!!! :)

Looking forward to grabbing the magazine at our LFS. Congrats!

Thank you! I'm jealous! I'm out of town visiting my parents in rural GA so I'm nowhere near a LFS to go pick up a paper copy. The editor of Reef Hobbyist mailed me some copies, so they should be waiting for me when I get home. I can't wait to see the printed issue! Hopefully you can find one at your LFS. I think quite a few of the LFS get it.

Congrats! Your tank is getting really really famous!

Thank you! I'll have to remind my tank not to let the fame go to its head :lol: Its definitely pretty fun having the tank get its 15 minutes of fame. :D

I love that photo they chose!!!! Can't wait to find an issue around here :). Next I want to see you featured in Coral magazine. I no longer subscribe but I would totally buy it if you were in it :).

• Like 1

I love that photo they chose!!!! Can't wait to find an issue around here :). Next I want to see you featured in Coral magazine. I no longer subscribe but I would totally buy it if you were in it :).

Thank you, Gena! That's one of my favorite photos of the lionfish :) Hopefully your LFS has it because it seems like a couple of my local store haven't gotten it yet. I know its popped up some places though because a friend in St. Louis texted me saying he'd seen it at his store. Coral would definitely be the big leagues! I don't have a subscription to Coral anymore either. I used to but then I didn't renew it because I really just don't spend much time looking at magazines.

Very cool and well deserved! Congrats!

Thank you, Glenn! :flower:

• Like 1

Congrats Felicia for being featured in Reef Hobbyist magazine and for making the cover. How cool is that? Way to go! I will definitely look for it.

Congrats Felicia for being featured in Reef Hobbyist magazine and for making the cover. How cool is that? Way to go! I will definitely look for it.

Thank you so much, Dawn! Yeah I'm excited! Hopefully one of your LFS has it :)

Thank you, Gena! That's one of my favorite photos of the lionfish :) Hopefully your LFS has it because it seems like a couple of my local store haven't gotten it yet. I know its popped up some places though because a friend in St. Louis texted me saying he'd seen it at his store. Coral would definitely be the big leagues! I don't have a subscription to Coral anymore either. I used to but then I didn't renew it because I really just don't spend much time looking at magazines.

Thank you, Glenn! :flower:

Same here....I have Coral mag issues with the plastic still on them :lol:. My closest LFS for sure won't have it. I've never seen it in the store. But I bed Vivid would have it. And possibly the next closest LFS to me. I'll try to get out this week and look for it :).

Same here....I have Coral mag issues with the plastic still on them :lol:. My closest LFS for sure won't have it. I've never seen it in the store. But I bed Vivid would have it. And possibly the next closest LFS to me. I'll try to get out this week and look for it :).

Ha! Yeah I just do most of my reading online and forget to really look at magazines. I do look at the Coral articles online when there's one I find interesting.

Don't make any long drives to find it if you don't need to go to those stores! I can always mail you a copy if you'd like. I just figured I'd give people a heads up in case they had LFS trips planned. Reef Hobbyist is quarterly, so my issue should be around for like 3 months.

• Like 2