Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Freelance photo and a PhD your on a roll. Congrats

Thank you! Yeah its been quite the run of fun achievements lately! :D Definitely feeling pretty lucky!

Another fun announcement! I didn't find out until earlier today, but the Reef Threads podcast released this afternoon discusses my adventure eating lionfish in Florida and my aquarium feature in Reef Hobbyist magazine! That was some exciting news! omgomgomg

If you'd like to listen to the podcast, click here. The part about me and my aquarium starts at 14:09.

27451035074_08931e98c2_b.jpg[/url]

• Like 9
FlowerMama

I think you're definitely the most decorated/awarded reefer! Glad that I belong to a reefing group that has so many women with incredible tanks.

• Like 4

Wow! How Awesome is that?

Congrats Dr. Felicia

U Make Nano-Reef Proud

Its all a ton of fun and very exciting! :) Thank you! Glad I can make NR proud :D

I think you're definitely the most decorated/awarded reefer! Glad that I belong to a reefing group that has so many women with incredible tanks.

Haha, thank you! That's a fun title :D I'm thrilled to represent the lady reefers. There is such an awesome group of us here on NR. Each doing cool different things!

i am gonna turn on TV one day and see your tank featured on the news =P

I don't know about that! Maybe if there's a reef hobby TV channel, haha! ;)

Congrats! We'll need to call you 'Famous Felicia' from now on :)

Thank you! I don't know about that! The tank is the celebrity, not me! I'll stick to Dr. Felicia :lol::lol:

• Like 1

I missed this, congrats on all the press! I'm going to try and pick up a hard copy of the Reef Hobbyist mag.

Thank you! Awesome! Let me know if you can find a hard copy. I'm curious where all you can find the hard copies. I've got to go figure out if I can find some near me when I get home. The editor mailed me 3 copies, but I'd like to grab some more.

• Like 2

I love Reef Threads, and didn't realize they were discussing you at the time! Nice work!!

I've listened to Reef Threads off an on and always enjoyed it, but I just got much more into it because I'm going to have a long commute to work and need things to entertain me during my drive. Its really an entertaining and informative podcast. I was pleasantly surprised to be a topic of discussion! Thank you :)

Publicity Game = Strong

Congrats! :)

Haha! Not sure I have any publicity game! These things keep surprising me :) Thank you!

• Like 1

I love this picture :lol:

Haha! I thought it was pretty awesome. I just google image searched for "4th of July fish" and wound up with that. :lol:
  • Like 1

Tank Update

Whew! So I'm back from 3 weeks of vacation and the tank is looking great! My two tank sitters did an awesome job. Everything was happy and healthy when I got home. I just had the tank sitters doing the necessities to keep everything happy and healthy, and told them not to worry about the cosmetic stuff, so the tank is a bit of a mess. A deep cleaning though, and it will be good as new. It just needs some serious glass scraping and some manual removal of some hair algae clumps. I'm also going to do a 10 gallon water change today. I'll post some photos once the glass is see-through again :) Its definitely a big relief to have the tank survive such a long trip!

Unfortunately, my betta in the freshwater tank passed away during my trip. It wasn't any fault of the tank sitters. He'd just been kind of sickly the whole time I'd had him. I was never able to pinpoint a specific disease, but he just always seemed weak and sickly. I wonder if maybe he had some sort of congenital defect. Oh well, RIP Berkeley the betta :( Luckily the other inhabitants in the freshwater tank are doing great and the plants are growing like crazy. I did a much needed deep cleaning and plant pruning on that tank last night. I'll post some photos of it later today.

I decided to go "rescue" a new betta from Petco yesterday when I was out running some errands. Here's the new inhabitant of the freshwater tank.

28157606045_9f356166c4_z.jpgIMG_5267 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

28053658862_de98a84f90_z.jpgIMG_5269 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 10
natalia_la_loca

What a joy it is to come home to a healthy reef tank. Sorry to hear about the betta, but the new one is beautiful.

• Like 1

What a joy it is to come home to a healthy reef tank. Sorry to hear about the betta, but the new one is beautiful.

Yeah it was a relief to come home to a healthy tank. My 30 gallon crashed the day after I got back from a 10-day vacation in Hawaii, so leaving the tank for that long is definitely stressful. I feel bad for the poor betta, but he's never been healthy, so I'm glad he's no longer struggling. Hopefully the new betta will be a healthy one.

• Like 1
FlowerMama

Oh yeah, they have many nice bettas at Petco. Love his colors. You know, one of these days we'll have to have a picture day thread of when we all thought our tank was considered "dirty" by each of us. I'm sure we're all not as bad off as we say!!!

I like the new betta rescue! He's cute and he has a much better home now :)

Yeah I thought he was pretty! They had a lot of options surprisingly so it was a tough choice. The one I got is considered a "Butterfly" color pattern apparently. I don't know anything about fancy bettas. I just pick one that appeals to me. It always amazes me those tiny cups they keep the bettas in. Do they change the water regularly until the fish sells? The water the one I got was in was surprisingly clean and he seems very healthy. I'm sure those fish are super stressed being in bright fluorescent store lighting with no hiding spots. I'm sure my new one is much happier in my planted tank. He seems to have settled in well and is out and about.

Oh yeah, they have many nice bettas at Petco. Love his colors. You know, one of these days we'll have to have a picture day thread of when we all thought our tank was considered "dirty" by each of us. I'm sure we're all not as bad off as we say!!!

Yeah I'm always pleasantly surprised by their selection. I hate to support their betta in cups selling practices, but it's the easiest place to go to have a good selection to choose from. I thought his colors were very appropriate since I got him right after the 4th of July :)

Ok so I'm really OCD about the tank, so normally when I say it's dirty, I'll own that it's really not that terrible, just not up to my exacting standards. However, after 3 weeks of no glass scraping I am not remotely exaggerating that my tank was a hot mess. I got the glass scraped and I'm about to do some more cleaning, so it's back to the dirty but acceptable level :) Oh I also have hair algae that grows because of the excess nutrients from my crazy bioload with the predators. Normally it's not bad because it grows in these little clumps in a few locations, so I just pull the clumps during my weekly cleaning. However, those clumps got to grow out of control for 3 weeks, so there were some areas that were just nasty blobs of algae. Luckily it's easily to pull out. Just takes a while with how much was in there.

• Like 2