Innovative Marine Aquariums

Dr. Felicia's Predator Paradise - Retired

Felicia

Aww I'm so sorry to hear about Draco :( My mom just asked me if I was ok because I just let out a huge, "oh noooooo!" Losing fish sucks. When I returned from my trip to Edmonton over the summer I found out that my favorite fish ever, Katniss the flame angel, had passed away for unknown reasons. It was definitely difficult. But kudos to you for not posting a long angry, dejected rant about the death like I tend to :P I agree that posting about it makes you feel better, hence my long angry dejected rants. It's good that all your other fish are doing good though :) I can't wait for some pics! I always show them to my mom and I'm like, "see how cool this tank is?!" And then I proceed to point out everything :)

You're too kind! I never want to post about fish deaths because I just want to move on and not think about it, but it really helps to hear that other people will also miss Draco. There are always those certain fish that are so much harder to lose. Especially when its not for any reason we can understand or do anything about. Thank you for the commiseration and there is nothing wrong with fish rants. Everyone has their own way of grieving, and that's totally ok!

I'm devoting my evening to photos, but expect them late because I always take too many and it takes a long time to sort through them and get them posted. I completely promise there will be photos tonight though! I am so flattered that you show off my tank photos! I love this tank and it always makes me happy to hear that other people enjoy it. I love sharing it with others!

• Like 2

I knew most of this already..so sad to hear Draco finally passed. And crazy that he's completely gone without a trace! Maybe it was multiple things that consumed him but I'd bet Falkor did most of the work! Speaking of...can't believe your mom is such a fan of him now :).

Looking forward to your photos!!!!

• Like 1

I knew most of this already..so sad to hear Draco finally passed. And crazy that he's completely gone without a trace! Maybe it was multiple things that consumed him but I'd bet Falkor did most of the work! Speaking of...can't believe your mom is such a fan of him now :).

Looking forward to your photos!!!!

Yep you did, because I got to chat with you at MACNA for 3 days :D I was upset about Draco, but I've known it was coming for over a month, so I was just glad he finally passed and was no longer suffering. The worst part of it was watching him waste away for so long and not being able to do anything. Its much better when its a quick, sudden death. I'm just glad he's no longer suffering.

The way Falkor eats, I guess I shouldn't be surprised he could eat a lionfish. I don't have much clean up crew (snails and hermits and things), so its weird for a body to go missing. Basically the only things that would eat a dead fish would be Falkor, the serpent starfish, or an anemone. Like you said, maybe a combo of those while I was at work so that the body was gone by the time I got home.

Yeah my mom and everyone else ends up falling for Falkor. He's quite the charmer :lol:

Photos are coming now! :D The video is super long though and taking forever to process in HD, so we'll save that for tomorrow evening.

• Like 2

Alright, its time for the long overdue photos! omgomgomg

Let's get started with a new FTS!

29308432204_5a49ee5548_k.jpgIMG_6476 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Left side.

29901015096_f60e07811d_z.jpgIMG_6696 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Center.

29308428924_ad20b2a1fb_k.jpgIMG_6520 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Right side.

29821320622_2ba165838b_z.jpgIMG_6573 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Now for the new additions. First, the yellow frilly sponge I got at MACNA.

29308435274_5e0c698806_k.jpgIMG_6434 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And the long polyp toadstool from MACNA.

29821324802_e9b16a33c2_z.jpgIMG_6547 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

The new urchin! Isn't it pretty? :wub:

29308435854_385b66f017_k.jpgIMG_6421 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29308434254_8db43066a4_k.jpgIMG_6446 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29901011026_b669daff53_z.jpgIMG_6738 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 11

Ok, now some photos of the fish. Let's start with Falkor because he's a giant ham and photobombs every photo. He's way too photogenic.

29852310531_0170575a25_k.jpgIMG_6544 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29821313612_e44fc3a919_z.jpgIMG_6595 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29935575055_a48e78a82b_z.jpgIMG_6784 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29821312472_80430c408a_z.jpgIMG_6598 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Check out how long Falkor has gotten.

29821311932_b8a13d9203_z.jpgIMG_6605 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29821310322_45603d4d8e_z.jpgIMG_6644 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29821311092_34cd15be67_z.jpgIMG_6612 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 12

The melanarus wrasse looking handsome :)

29852311841_d30df19237_k.jpgIMG_6540 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29901009246_680715205b_z.jpgIMG_6752 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

The tang is so fast darting around that it is impossible to get a decent photo of her. Here's the best one I got.

29901015856_4e5f3c338d_z.jpgIMG_6654 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And here's the wrasse and tang together.

29821316132_253e8d36d6_z.jpgIMG_6590 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Now for the lionfish. First off, Mushu.

29901010236_a2ebd92914_z.jpgIMG_6746 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29821323752_1c0157002f_z.jpgIMG_6558 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

The antennata was being a lurker tonight. She's actually been being more brave lately and looks so graceful out swimming around, but of course she wasn't cooperating tonight while I was taking photos.

29901012906_0292ef3516_z.jpgIMG_6733 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And a shot with all three predators together. Falkor is so ridiculous.

29901014036_cda89e28f6_z.jpgIMG_6717 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And last but not least, the clowns in their BTA forest.

29901008596_c7b559b05a_z.jpgIMG_6765 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

29901008596_c7b559b05a_z.jpgIMG_6765 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 11

Now its time for some coral shots!

Duncan, kenya tree, and pulsing xenia.

29308430724_1b128070a5_k.jpgIMG_6519 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

The nepthea needs to be trimmed again. Its huge!

29308425984_89faaef73d_k.jpgIMG_6536 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Green fuzzy mushrooms.

29852313231_53035347c7_k.jpgIMG_6538 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

The little squamosa clam.

29308427404_f4a203508f_k.jpgIMG_6532 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

And in fun updates, the BTA's keep splitting and two of the splits escaped BTA rock and ended up on the shell of the big squamosa. I had to take the big squammy out of the tank last night and scrape both anemones off with a scalpel. Luckily, I managed to get them off without damaging their feet and they're not attached to the wall of a deli cup in the tank. There are two in this photo, but they're both small and mushed together so you can't tell where one ends and the other starts.

29309126593_19ea73b1e5_k.jpgIMG_6402 by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

Also, I ordered Ken Wingerter's new book on coldwater aquariums because I figured it would be a good read. It just arrived yesterday :)

29935588345_15a09efea1_k.jpgIMG_6467-1 (dragged) by Felicia Svedlund, on Flickr

• Like 11

I stayed up way later than I should have, but the video is ready! Well worth it :D

So for the grand finale, a new video of the tank!

I know its long, but its worth it because it includes feeding time from tonight. And make sure you select HD for the quality!

• Like 10
pappadumplingz

Sorry to hear about the dwarf lion. I watched the vid you posted before I came on here and noticed he was gone. Other than that, the tank is still looking fantastic.

• Like 2

Tank is looking fantastic Felicia. Everything looks happy and healthy. Your Melanuras Wrasse looks so much different to mine, it's possible that they are just at different stages. Mine seems to be more turquoise blue and dark green with the red stripes and signature yellow at the base of the fins.

• Like 2

Yep you did, because I got to chat with you at MACNA for 3 days :D I was upset about Draco, but I've known it was coming for over a month, so I was just glad he finally passed and was no longer suffering. The worst part of it was watching him waste away for so long and not being able to do anything. Its much better when its a quick, sudden death. I'm just glad he's no longer suffering.

The way Falkor eats, I guess I shouldn't be surprised he could eat a lionfish. I don't have much clean up crew (snails and hermits and things), so its weird for a body to go missing. Basically the only things that would eat a dead fish would be Falkor, the serpent starfish, or an anemone. Like you said, maybe a combo of those while I was at work so that the body was gone by the time I got home.

Yeah my mom and everyone else ends up falling for Falkor. He's quite the charmer :lol:

Photos are coming now! :D The video is super long though and taking forever to process in HD, so we'll save that for tomorrow evening.

Just watched the video on FB omgomgomg. Loved it of course :). Falkor is getting soooo big. I see why you are planning for the upgrade now! The new frilly sponge really stands out. Good thinking picking one up at the show, since you never see them that big online!

Loved the update :happydance:.

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the dwarf lion. I watched the vid you posted before I came on here and noticed he was gone. Other than that, the tank is still looking fantastic.

Yeah losing the lionfish was hard, but at least the other lions are thriving and the tank is doing well overall. Thank you :)

Tank is looking fantastic Felicia. Everything looks happy and healthy. Your Melanuras Wrasse looks so much different to mine, it's possible that they are just at different stages. Mine seems to be more turquoise blue and dark green with the red stripes and signature yellow at the base of the fins.

Thank you, Jase! I think there's quite a bit of color variation between melanurus wrasses and I think you're right that it may be what stage they're in. Mine is definitely a terminal phase male, so he's more a solid blue through his body, with the red face markings, the bright yellow spots by his fins, and the black spot at the tip of his tail. Yours may be a younger male. Does it have the black spot at the end of its tail? The photo Live Aquaria has for the male is actually not a terminal phase male because it doesn't have the black spot on its tail. The coloring could also have to do with wether the wrasse is displaying for a female or other wrasses. There are no other wrasses in my tank, so mine probably isn't as brightly colored as he would be if there was a female or other wrasses present.

Beautiful looking tank!

Thank you! :)

Just watched the video on FB omgomgomg. Loved it of course :). Falkor is getting soooo big. I see why you are planning for the upgrade now! The new frilly sponge really stands out. Good thinking picking one up at the show, since you never see them that big online!

Loved the update :happydance:.

Thank you, Gena! A video was way overdue :) And yeah, Falkor is getting huge! He still does really well in the 40, but I don't want to wait until it becomes a problem. Better to start planning the upgrade so I can take my time and not rush things.

Yeah I love how the frilly sponge pops. I almost want a few more! Weird that no one sells them online that size but Pacific East Aquaculture had a bunch at MACNA. They don't have any on their website. I may have to contact Pacific East and see if they can get me a few more when I do the tank upgrade.

Glad you enjoyed the update! I still need to post up a whole thing about my upgrade plan, but I felt like last night's update was more than enough for now. :)

your going to need a bigger tank soon ;)

Yep! A bigger tank is in order. I'm working on it! I'll get a post up about my plan sometime soon. Probably going to try to get this all underway around Thanksgiving to the end of the year.
  • Like 2

Yeah I love how the frilly sponge pops. I almost want a few more! Weird that no one sells them online that size but Pacific East Aquaculture had a bunch at MACNA. They don't have any on their website. I may have to contact Pacific East and see if they can get me a few more when I do the tank upgrade.

Hopefully if you contact them they will have them and be willing to sell them. They really are awesome! So chunky!
  • Like 1

O my, that video is fantastic. I guess that is because your tank is so amazing! I adore Falkor, he is really a cool eel. He sure gets excited about chow time, doesn't he?

• Like 1

Thank you, Jase! I think there's quite a bit of color variation between melanurus wrasses and I think you're right that it may be what stage they're in. Mine is definitely a terminal phase male, so he's more a solid blue through his body, with the red face markings, the bright yellow spots by his fins, and the black spot at the tip of his tail. Yours may be a younger male. Does it have the black spot at the end of its tail? The photo Live Aquaria has for the male is actually not a terminal phase male because it doesn't have the black spot on its tail. The coloring could also have to do with wether the wrasse is displaying for a female or other wrasses. There are no other wrasses in my tank, so mine probably isn't as brightly colored as he would be if there was a female or other wrasses present.

If that's the case then I don't think mine is as far along its phase than ours. Mine doesn't have the black spot on the tip of its tail. It does look very similar to the picture on Live Aquaria. I have no other large wrasses either so as you say, this could be a contributing factor. The Kole Tang seems to give him a run for his money though and quite often I see him flashing out his fins at the Tang. Mine hasn't really done any colour change since I got it but it has grown larger. Maybe it will start transitioning once he gets a little bigger.

As usual, incredible photos! I loved the video and feeding time! :) My mom thinks Falkor is super neat.

Thank you! Falkor seems to be everyone's favorite :)

Hopefully if you contact them they will have them and be willing to sell them. They really are awesome! So chunky!

I figure they must have some source for them considering how many they had at MACNA. They also had a ton of photosynthetic gorgs like KPA sells that aren't on their website. Not sure why they don't have them online.

O my, that video is fantastic. I guess that is because your tank is so amazing! I adore Falkor, he is really a cool eel. He sure gets excited about chow time, doesn't he?

Why thank you, Dawn! Falkor is a very entertaining character to say the least :) And yes, he lives for meal time! :lol:

If that's the case then I don't think mine is as far along its phase than ours. Mine doesn't have the black spot on the tip of its tail. It does look very similar to the picture on Live Aquaria. I have no other large wrasses either so as you say, this could be a contributing factor. The Kole Tang seems to give him a run for his money though and quite often I see him flashing out his fins at the Tang. Mine hasn't really done any colour change since I got it but it has grown larger. Maybe it will start transitioning once he gets a little bigger.

Yeah yours is probably a male, but not terminal phase. I don't think most of the wholesalers sell terminal phase males very often. I only managed to get a terminal phase male because he'd been in someone's tank for quite a while and then that person traded him into the LFS I go to. He's big, like close to full grown, which is bigger than the size wrasses usually are sold at. I basically never see mine flash his fins. He's a super chill guy. I think he realizes that he's big enough that nobody is going to mess with him :lol:

I want to get more wrasses when I upgrade the tank, but the issue is finding them big enough to not get eaten by the lions. The ones that come into the stores are generally in the 1.5" to 2" range, so it's hard to find ones closer to full grown. I lucked out with the melanurus having been traded in at such a large size.

• Like 3

Yeah yours is probably a male, but not terminal phase. I don't think most of the wholesalers sell terminal phase males very often. I only managed to get a terminal phase male because he'd been in someone's tank for quite a while and then that person traded him into the LFS I go to. He's big, like close to full grown, which is bigger than the size wrasses usually are sold at. I basically never see mine flash his fins. He's a super chill guy. I think he realizes that he's big enough that nobody is going to mess with him :lol:

I think you are right. Mine was about 2" long when I got him, now he would be a bit over 3", maybe 3.5". Definitely not fully grown yet. Sounds like you got lucky with nabbing a terminal phase specimen. My LFS can usually order in terminal phase wrasses if you specifically ask for them but yeah, they usually get 1-2" juveniles in. Maybe you can hunt one down online? I've seen Diver's Den have some from time to time, usually in pairs.

• Like 1

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about Draco! I know exactly what you mean about how some fish are much harder to lose than others. Some of them have a real personality and it's so hard to watch them go :grouphug:

On the bright side, the tank looks fantastic! Falco is looking beautiful as always (although my wife says I can never have one because he looks too much like a snake :rolleyes:).

And I am so in love with the new urchin, I've never seen one like that :wub:

• Like 1

I think you are right. Mine was about 2" long when I got him, now he would be a bit over 3", maybe 3.5". Definitely not fully grown yet. Sounds like you got lucky with nabbing a terminal phase specimen. My LFS can usually order in terminal phase wrasses if you specifically ask for them but yeah, they usually get 1-2" juveniles in. Maybe you can hunt one down online? I've seen Diver's Den have some from time to time, usually in pairs.

My wrasse isn't too much larger than yours is now, so yours may be close to transitioning to terminal phase. I'm sure my LFS can probably get me some more large wrasses if I make a specific request, so that's probably what I'll do once I am ready to stock the larger tank. I know I can find some online, but I prefer not to order fish online if I can avoid it. I like to be able to inspect a fish in person and see it eat and everything before I buy it.

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about Draco! I know exactly what you mean about how some fish are much harder to lose than others. Some of them have a real personality and it's so hard to watch them go :grouphug:

On the bright side, the tank looks fantastic! Falco is looking beautiful as always (although my wife says I can never have one because he looks too much like a snake :rolleyes:).

And I am so in love with the new urchin, I've never seen one like that :wub:

Thank you. I appreciate everyone's kind thoughts about poor Draco. He will really be missed.

Yeah I'm glad the tank overall is doing so well even with me neglecting it a bit since I've been busy. Your wife says that, but has she ever seen an eel in person and interacted with one? My mom said the same thing about eels and Falkor is now her favorite fish of mine. She actually texted me the other day asking for a photo of him to show my grandparents :lol: They may seem snake like at first, but they have such fun personalities, that they tend to win people over.

Yeah I love the new urchin too! I hadn't seen one like it either and I just couldn't help buying it. It was only $18. I really like the combination of the white with the striking purple accents. :wub: I hope its ok because I haven't seen it tonight since I got home, but that's not too weird. My tuxedo urchin vanishes on me all the time. My tank is just too full of stuff and it gets hard to find things that aren't moving noticeably :lol:

Edit: I just saw the new urchin and its alive and well! It looks super cool under blue lights...the white parts glow.

AAAARGH! Knowing your dwarf wasn't going to be in the video made me tear up for you as soon as the video started! :( .

I know! Draco used to be the star of the videos, so it was sad to do one without him. :(

• Like 2

My wrasse isn't too much larger than yours is now, so yours may be close to transitioning to terminal phase. I'm sure my LFS can probably get me some more large wrasses if I make a specific request, so that's probably what I'll do once I am ready to stock the larger tank. I know I can find some online, but I prefer not to order fish online if I can avoid it. I like to be able to inspect a fish in person and see it eat and everything before I buy it.

I hope he is close! The true terminal phase males look so pretty :). I'm not one for ordering fish online either. Happy to order corals but like you, I much prefer to see the fish in person before I buy.

• Like 1

I was curious about leathers and urchins. Didn't know if they'd try to eat anything. Eventually my 2 urchins in the 10g will go to the 40. I just am floored by how well they stick to glass, I think it's just so cool. I am certainly impressed w/ some of the most basic things like how they can defy gravity and stick on the side. Don't you also just get tickled with some things?

• Like 1