ReefCleaners.org

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

Christopher Marks
2 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Hmmmm...I liked the idea, but then I started picturing drunk party guests trying to get the fish drunk or having bettafish swallowing contests and I decided maybe it's not such a great idea after all :lol:

As a wedding photographer, my mind went to exactly the same place. omgomgomg

• Like 3
On 7/1/2017 at 6:18 PM, Christopher Marks said:

As a wedding photographer, my mind went to exactly the same place. omgomgomg

Ha ha, exactly!

Things are holding steady with the tank - the longer gooseneck gives a little more flexibility in positioning the light, and I'm still loving the mint LEDs. 

I've lost one or two of the acros for no apparent reason, I suspect all the changes in lighting didn't help any. I glued up a couple new frags from the 40g - the Jason Fox red hot setosa, and a forest fire digitata. Hopefully they'll like their new locations and lighting. I still have room for one or two more sps frags near the top, but since I've lost a few recently, I want to wait and make sure the frags I've already got are able to do well over the next few weeks before risking the loss of any other frags.

I tried to take a picture under the blues tonight, but it didn't really capture the fantastic luminescence I'm getting under the Nanobox. Oh well, at least it's a quick and dirty fts :)

2017-07-04 IM10 FTS at Night

• Like 11

Time for a few updates - I haven't posted pictures of fish in a while. Unfortunately, the golden assessor refused to come out the whole time I was taking pictures, and of course now that the lights are down and I'm all done, he's hanging out right in the corner closest to me :rolleyes:

Here's Doug, the star of the show (leopard toby puffer) :wub:

20170705-untitled-061.jpg

And here's Jeremiah, the tail spot blenny. You can also see the JF red hot setosa I just moved in from the 40g tank, that I originally got from @drgibby.

20170705-untitled-019.jpg

Here's a better view of the setosa. It's a little out of focus because I was actually taking a picture of the chalice. I really like how the chalice is coloring up :)

The blurry green stylo on the left is also from @drgibby, which he grew from a frag I originally sent him from my 4g tank.

20170705-untitled-034.jpg

The other new coral from the 40g is the forest fire digitata. It didn't really like the 40g tank, and didn't have much PE there. Just in the two days since I moved it into this tank, it's improved considerably. It must like the higher nitrates.

You can also see the pearlberry to the left of the digi, and it's really liking this tank as well. Oh, and that's Jeremiah sticking his head out between the two corals - he hangs out in a little cave in the rocks there.

Finally, there are a couple zoas on the far left, Legendary Corals Hyper Phoenix. I'm really excited about these. When I first got them from LC, I glued them in that spot on the rocks. They didn't grow for about a year and almost died, and I eventually relocated them onto the zoa rock at the front of the tank. After I did the soft reboot, one little polyp popped up out of nowhere, and now there's another baby!

20170705-untitled-030.jpg

• Like 13
11 minutes ago, teenyreef said:

Time for a few updates - I haven't posted pictures of fish in a while. Unfortunately, the golden assessor refused to come out the whole time I was taking pictures, and of course now that the lights are down and I'm all done, he's hanging out right in the corner closest to me :rolleyes:

Here's Doug, the star of the show (leopard toby puffer) :wub:

20170705-untitled-061.jpg

And here's Jeremiah, the tail spot blenny. You can also see the JF red hot setosa I just moved in from the 40g tank, that I originally got from @drgibby.

20170705-untitled-019.jpg

Here's a better view of the setosa. It's a little out of focus because I was actually taking a picture of the chalice. I really like how the chalice is coloring up :)

The blurry green stylo on the left is also from @drgibby, which he grew from a frag I originally sent him from my 4g tank.

20170705-untitled-034.jpg

The other new coral from the 40g is the forest fire digitata. It didn't really like the 40g tank, and didn't have much PE there. Just in the two days since I moved it into this tank, it's improved considerably. It must like the higher nitrates.

You can also see the pearlberry to the left of the digi, and it's really liking this tank as well. Oh, and that's Jeremiah sticking his head out between the two corals - he hangs out in a little cave in the rocks there.

Finally, there are a couple zoas on the far left, Legendary Corals Hyper Phoenix. I'm really excited about these. When I first got them from LC, I glued them in that spot on the rocks. They didn't grow for about a year and almost died, and I eventually relocated them onto the zoa rock at the front of the tank. After I did the soft reboot, one little polyp popped up out of nowhere, and now there's another baby!

20170705-untitled-030.jpg

The infinite circle of Nano-Reef with that green stylo is a little dizzying lol

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Lula_Mae said:

The infinite circle of Nano-Reef with that green stylo is a little dizzying lol

Lol, I know! The best part is, that stylo was my very first sps and one of my favorite corals, and I killed it when I crashed the 4g. So it was really cool to get that frag back. Things like that are the best reason to share frags with other people, you never know what's going to come back around.

Here's the last picture I could find of the original colony.

Stylo

• Like 7
8 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Lol, I know! The best part is, that stylo was my very first sps and one of my favorite corals, and I killed it when I crashed the 4g. So it was really cool to get that frag back. Things like that are the best reason to share frags with other people, you never know what's going to come back around.

Stylo

That's really great! It was definitely beautiful, hope it grows that lovely again! I have a few of his corals in my tablet right now. The little pipe organ frag he cut off for me is one of my favorites!

• Like 3
17 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Stylo

I never could get this one to thrive.  It grew slowly but never like this.  I hope you can bring it back to its glory!

• Like 2
On 7/6/2017 at 6:08 PM, drgibby said:

I never could get this one to thrive.  It grew slowly but never like this.  I hope you can bring it back to its glory!

It seems to like this tank so far! There's a little spot on the tip that has some algae and I'm waiting for it to encrust over it.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, RandyX said:

This tank came out great 

47 minutes ago, RandyX said:

Those are montipora correct?

Thank you! If you mean the plating green, red, and purple corals that are growing around the top of the rocks, yes, those are montipora capricornis. They are great corals and are really tough. If the monticaps aren't doing well, that tells me something is seriously wrong with the tank.

• Like 1

Hi @teenyreef me again! What do you put inside your intank basket? Whats inside the 1st top chamber, 2nd middle and 3rd last? What brand protein skimmer are you using. and last question what mode and % is your mp at and what brand of salt do you use?. We really have a similar setup.  Thank you!

• Like 1
On 7/10/2017 at 0:24 AM, spectra said:

Tank looks awesome as usual..............

and Doug well...........

Thanks! Doug and his Toby Puffer brothers made the cover article on the latest Coral magazine. I responded to their survey too. 

• Like 5
On 7/10/2017 at 10:31 PM, monrocks said:

Hi @teenyreef me again! What do you put inside your intank basket? Whats inside the 1st top chamber, 2nd middle and 3rd last? What brand protein skimmer are you using. and last question what mode and % is your mp at and what brand of salt do you use?. We really have a similar setup.  Thank you!

Currently I run filter floss, and then carbon. Sometimes I run gfo too, but lately I've been using PhosphateRX instead. It's easier to control than the gfo, which is always getting exhausted, making the phosphates jump up and down. 

Skimmer is the Eshopps Nano, and for salt, I've been switching around a bit. Currently a blend of IO and Aquaforest reef salt. 

• Like 1
10 hours ago, Mckinney0171 said:

Any reason why you switched to the eshopps skimmer?  I thought you were using the Ghost skimmer originally.

I could never get the ghost skimmer to work well. I was always having to choose between microbubbles when it was turned down, and loud noise when it was turned up. The Eshoppes works much better and pulls a darker skimmate. But it barely fits, so it's not a perfect solution, unfortunately.

10 hours ago, frahny said:

Ummmm it's July 13th and we don't have a fts! Let's get one up there teeny or we gonna have issues?

Lol, I'll see what I can do this weekend. I just got back from a trip out of town tonight and the glass is covered with algae :rolleyes:

• Like 4

Last night while I was doing some work in the 40g tank, I accidentally pushed on of the buttons on the Apex controller, and switched the NoPox dosing pump for this tank from "auto" to "on". The good news is, I figured out what was happening when I heard the pump running and not shutting off. The bad news is it ran for about an hour before I figured it out, and it dumped about 65ml of NoPox into the tank.

This happened late last night after I was already up late trying to find a lost coral in the 40g, so at 2 AM I found myself doing a 50% water change to try to clear out at least some of the excess NoPox. Red Sea says that as long as you have a decent sized skimmer, even massive overdoses won't harm the tank. The effect of an overdose is overfeeding the bacteria in the tank, resulting in a bacterial bloom. The bacteria then consume all the oxygen, and then bad things happen. 

I made sure the skimmer cup was empty, and I put in a few drop of Seachem Prime to get ahead of any possible ammonia spike. I'll probably do another large water change later this evening. I think as long as I don't end up with drastically changing any parameters, it won't hurt anything.

So far today, everything looks fine. The water's clear, the fish are swimming around and don't look stressed, and the corals look normal. Fingers crossed!

• Like 4
RIP Sebastian
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:35 AM, teenyreef said:

Thanks! Doug and his Toby Puffer brothers made the cover article on the latest Coral magazine. I responded to their survey too. 

Was one of your pictures in it? Or are you just talking about the feature article?

• Like 1
On 7/5/2017 at 1:19 AM, teenyreef said:

Ha ha, exactly!

Things are holding steady with the tank - the longer gooseneck gives a little more flexibility in positioning the light, and I'm still loving the mint LEDs. 

I've lost one or two of the acros for no apparent reason, I suspect all the changes in lighting didn't help any. I glued up a couple new frags from the 40g - the Jason Fox red hot setosa, and a forest fire digitata. Hopefully they'll like their new locations and lighting. I still have room for one or two more sps frags near the top, but since I've lost a few recently, I want to wait and make sure the frags I've already got are able to do well over the next few weeks before risking the loss of any other frags.

I tried to take a picture under the blues tonight, but it didn't really capture the fantastic luminescence I'm getting under the Nanobox. Oh well, at least it's a quick and dirty fts :)

2017-07-04 IM10 FTS at Night

I love the balance you have achieved. The colors of the acans and the acros. When's the 90 getting converted?

• Like 1
On 7/15/2017 at 2:25 PM, RIP Sebastian said:

Was one of your pictures in it? Or are you just talking about the feature article?

Oops! I meant it was an article about Toby Puffers like Doug. :blush:

On 7/15/2017 at 2:43 PM, Sk8n Reefer said:

Glad u caught that early ? I am sure the 50% w/c did the trick

Looks like it did! Everything is still doing fine. I checked parameters tonight, nitrates are at 8, phosphates are at .05, so I think there was little effect due to the quick water change and heavy skimming. 

• Like 1
On 7/15/2017 at 3:56 PM, frahny said:

I love the balance you have achieved. The colors of the acans and the acros. When's the 90 getting converted?

Thanks! I often think about the 90 but with a wedding to pay for next year it's just not an option right now. 

On 7/15/2017 at 7:19 PM, Pjanssen said:

Uhm...July FTS? It's almost August!

Uhm...nevrmind. Some how a page didn't load properly and I missed the whole top of the page. Sorry. 

Lol, if it was me I probably would never have figured it out!

I'm hoping to get a July FTS this week, things got too crazy last weekend.