Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

On 4/7/2017 at 0:02 AM, gone_PHiSHin said:

i'm a huge blasto fan and have never seen a merletti like that.  such a great colony too

ive always loved the 'blueberry' variety from Legendary Corals too but have never pulled the trigger

https://www.legendary-corals.com/product-page/blueberry-blastomussa-merletti

Those are cool! They would look really nice next to my green ones, let me know if you buy some and we can trade frags :D

On 4/6/2017 at 9:01 PM, JR! said:

pretty colors. 

Thanks, JR!

On 4/6/2017 at 9:12 PM, vlangel said:

Simply beautiful, especially those big puffy acans! 

Thanks - I think the acans are a good indicator that things are heading in the right direction. When the acans started to fail in this tank, that's when I knew something was really seriously wrong. I mean, sps sticks will die just because you look at them funny, but acans have always thrived in this tank.

On 4/6/2017 at 11:58 PM, fishfreak0114 said:

Love the teenylettis!  Everything looks very happy :) 

Thanks!

On 4/7/2017 at 8:28 AM, DaveFason said:

It is starting to look like the old tank again! great job John. 

Thanks, Dave. Hopefully I can get the sticks back in soon. I may try a few this weekend if things still look good.

• Like 2
gone_PHiSHin

hey teeny hook me up with those current Tide Plus settings!!  

actually i just upped my midday levels a bit, and things have been looking great...

• Like 1
On 4/7/2017 at 9:16 AM, gone_PHiSHin said:

hey teeny i know you've posted them before but what are your Nanobox settings for this tank?  i have the Tide Plus M.  would you mind posting how you are currently running the light?

i've been contemplating lately whether my lights are too bright or if i could get away with a little more 

my acans are in basically the same spot and they don't all get big and fluffy.  it's either light or flow, and no matter how i adjust my return it doesn't seem to change anything.  i feed them all the same.

I run my light fairly high. Here's a screen shot of the mid-day settings.

Screenshot_20170410-231637.jpg

I run about a 12 hour cycle with mid-day at full intensity for four hours.

When acans aren't fluffy, it's usually because they don't like the water or they aren't getting fed enough. I give mine some frozen food every couple days, but since moving them into this tank, I've been feeding them every night to fatten them up.

When the light is too high, acans normally react by losing colors and turning red/orange. They really prefer lower light, usually under 100 PAR, although you can keep them colored up in higher light if they really like the water and they get used to the higher light. Also, the spectrum makes a big difference. Acans that look good under mostly blue light may turn orange under the same PAR if it's whiter.

4 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

hey teeny hook me up with those current Tide Plus settings!!  

actually i just upped my midday levels a bit, and things have been looking great...

That's funny, I was working on that post right when you posted this. Sorry I fell behind in my own thread :rolleyes:

• Like 4
gone_PHiSHin

1.)  haha didn't mean to be pushy but you usually respond right back to posts.  i've been eager to see how much you push the Tide

2.) holy crap, didn't expect your settings to be that high!  i just upped mine to this and got nervous!

IMG_1316.PNG

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

1.)  haha didn't mean to be pushy but you usually respond right back to posts.  i've been eager to see how much you push the Tide

2.) holy crap, didn't expect your settings to be that high!  i just upped mine to this and got nervous!

IMG_1316.PNG

Whatever you do, do it slow. No more than a 5 or 10% overall increase in intensity per week.

gone_PHiSHin

i also started feeding a little more aggressively and haven't seen any increase in nitrates or phosphates so i'm going to keep pushing that until it catches up to me.  my acans have great color but haven't really puffed up any more, with the exception of 2 of the colors

• Like 1
gone_PHiSHin

i've been going up 2-3% every week for the past 3 weeks.  i understand slow is the key, i just didn't know how far to go

do you notice anything specific in regards to changing the individual light spectrums?  the royal blue is pretty obvious that i want it high, for that awesome flourescence.  pretty sure the intensity of the white spectrum goes a long way but too much can produce algae?  i've also once read in an article that the violet spectrum is important to growth (for reasons i can't recall) but i don't know if any of the spectrums are more important than others.  i've read multiple times that I should 'just go with what looks good to you' but i'm a little more scientific in my thinking than that :P 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i've been going up 2-3% every week for the past 3 weeks.  i understand slow is the key, i just didn't know how far to go

do you notice anything specific in regards to changing the individual light spectrums?  the royal blue is pretty obvious that i want it high, for that awesome flourescence.  pretty sure the intensity of the white spectrum goes a long way but too much can produce algae?  i've also once read in an article that the violet spectrum is important to growth (for reasons i can't recall) but i don't know if any of the spectrums are more important than others.  i've read multiple times that I should 'just go with what looks good to you' but i'm a little more scientific in my thinking than that :P 

I've read some pro and some con about violet, the latest thinking seems to be that high levels of violet aren't that important because it doesn't add that much actual useful light for the corals. I just follow the proportions @DaveFason uses for the most part, which means violet's a little lower than RB or cyan. And yes, I think white light does encourage more algae growth than blue. Algae likes a yellow/red/purple spectrum (look at the colors of "grow lights").

19 minutes ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

i also started feeding a little more aggressively and haven't seen any increase in nitrates or phosphates so i'm going to keep pushing that until it catches up to me.  my acans have great color but haven't really puffed up any more, with the exception of 2 of the colors

Yep - you're on the right track to feed them. If I have some that don't put out feeding polyps and don't consume the food right away, I turn off the pumps and leave it sitting on top of their mouths. After doing that for a few days, they usually start to eat. It's a gradual process with repeated feeding needed, whether they eat or not.

And yeah, gotta watch those nitrates when you do it :)

• Like 1
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

I run my light fairly high. Here's a screen shot of the mid-day settings.

Screenshot_20170410-231637.jpg

I run about a 12 hour cycle with mid-day at full intensity for four hours.

When acans aren't fluffy, it's usually because they don't like the water or they aren't getting fed enough. I give mine some frozen food every couple days, but since moving them into this tank, I've been feeding them every night to fatten them up.

When the light is too high, acans normally react by losing colors and turning red/orange. They really prefer lower light, usually under 100 PAR, although you can keep them colored up in higher light if they really like the water and they get used to the higher light. Also, the spectrum makes a big difference. Acans that look good under mostly blue light may turn orange under the same PAR if it's whiter.

That's funny, I was working on that post right when you posted this. Sorry I fell behind in my own thread :rolleyes:

Wow, I wasn't expecting it that high.  Maybe I need to start digging some on what folks are running the duo at.  Because mine are not that high.  Mine are the factory 65%.  Like @gone_PHiSHin I have been thinking about upping but have no idea how high.  lol Looks like I need to some digging today.... that's for sure...

• Like 1

Also how much does Doug eat? Makoto is eating only a couple mysis a day, she is still figuring out our habits I think and is pretty shy about coming out to eat.  But I don't know how to tell if she is skinny or not.  How do you tell if your puffer is skinny?

• Like 1
Bella's Reef
9 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Wow, welcome back, Sean! Your dropoff is beautiful already!

Thanks! I added some Petroglyphs, Monti Cap and a Tailspot Blenny last night hope to get some pictures tonight.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Wow, I wasn't expecting it that high.  Maybe I need to start digging some on what folks are running the duo at.  Because mine are not that high.  Mine are the factory 65%.  Like @gone_PHiSHin I have been thinking about upping but have no idea how high.  lol Looks like I need to some digging today.... that's for sure...

Bear in mind I have a PAR meter and I'm only a little bit afraid to use it, due to sheer laziness. And I have run this tank with the levels a little lower - around 70 or 80 instead of 90 or 100. Also, remember that the duration of the light cycle, especially at peak lighting levels, can make a huge difference.

I don't think I'd run a Duo at the same levels, even over a 25 instead of a 10, since the 25 is the same depth as the 10, and your peak PAR levels in the middle of the tank will be close to twice what you get with the Mini.

But having said all that, as long as you make the changes slowly, most corals respond well to more PAR, as long as you don't get too carried away :)

• Like 3
17 hours ago, lkoechle said:

Also how much does Doug eat? Makoto is eating only a couple mysis a day, she is still figuring out our habits I think and is pretty shy about coming out to eat.  But I don't know how to tell if she is skinny or not.  How do you tell if your puffer is skinny?

Well, it's pretty easy to tell with Doug, there's no wondering if he's too skinny, he is definitely fat :lol:

I'd say he eats the equivalent of three to six good-sized mysis each day, although I'm kind of making a wild guess here. I feed one cube of frozen each day between the three tanks, with this tank getting the smallest portion. So I'd say the tank gets maybe a quarter cube of frozen every day, with about half of that going to the corals and the rest to the fish.

Doug was shy about coming out to eat for at least a couple months. Doug 2 was less shy, I think because the clowns were gone, and he's the biggest fish in the tank now, and nobody bothers him.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, teenyreef said:

Bear in mind I have a PAR meter and I'm only a little bit afraid to use it, due to sheer laziness. And I have run this tank with the levels a little lower - around 70 or 80 instead of 90 or 100. Also, remember that the duration of the light cycle, especially at peak lighting levels, can make a huge difference.

I don't think I'd run a Duo at the same levels, even over a 25 instead of a 10, since the 25 is the same depth as the 10, and your peak PAR levels in the middle of the tank will be close to twice what you get with the Mini.

But having said all that, as long as you make the changes slowly, most corals respond well to more PAR, as long as you don't get too carried away :)

Yeah I am targeting a max of 80. it seems like what folks are running the duos at.

• Like 2

Just be very careful on your settings for shallow tanks. The hard part is there are so many factors with water clarity, flow, how high you have it mounted, etc. 

On my personal IM10 I run the following settings. Keep in mind I this peak is only for ~2.5 hours. The rest is pretty much all blues at 75%. 

85% - Royal Blue, Blue/Cyan and Violet

35% - White/Lime

Thanks for helping John!

• Like 4
On 4/5/2017 at 10:03 PM, teenyreef said:

I think you're looking at the Blasto Merlettis, aka Teenylettis. Directly below the hammers in the picture?

teenylettis :wub:

On 4/5/2017 at 10:20 PM, teenyreef said:

Yes, they are some of my favorites, they have a really pretty shade of green. They grow slowly, but someday I want to frag them and share them with some of the folks who have been asking for them, for years in some cases :)

Has it been years??? :blush:

Is that a new GBG? 

• Like 1
6 hours ago, gena said:

teenylettis :wub:

Has it been years??? :blush:

Is that a new GBG? 

Lol, yes it has, they were one of the first corals I had in this tank. 

The green banded goby is Lincoln, he's been here for years too. He and Roosevelt were part of the herd of five I got from the Ebay guy. Roosevelt went to the big fish bowl in the sky a month or two ago. 

On 4/15/2017 at 0:00 AM, blizzardscout2 said:

Things are looking great! I love seeing pictures of Doug 2!

Thanks! I need to get a couple more close ups of him. 

I got an FTS today with pretty much everything out and puffy. I've still got the weird white bacteria/algae/whateveritis growing on the back and underside of the rocks, but overall the tank is doing well now. I may try moving a couple sticks in tonight just to see how they do :D

2017-04-16 IM10 FTS

Happy Easter!

• Like 11
gone_PHiSHin

for some reason i didn't realize you have a GBG and a TSB together in this tank.

ive been wanting to get a GBG to go along with my TSB...do you have any issues between the two ever?  

• Like 1
4 hours ago, gone_PHiSHin said:

for some reason i didn't realize you have a GBG and a TSB together in this tank.

ive been wanting to get a GBG to go along with my TSB...do you have any issues between the two ever?  

No, they completely ignore each other. Generally the green banded goby spend his time on the sand bed or low in the rocks, and the tail spot blenny hangs out in the middle/upper portion of the rocks.

Every once in a while I'll see the golden assessor chasing the TSB around, but it doesn't last more than a second or two, and it doesn't seem to bother either one of them.

And nobody messes with Doug, and he doesn't mess with anybody. :D

• Like 3