Pod Your Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

:wub: :wub: Is he shy?

Not really. Leopard Tobys come from deep waters where they hide in caves, so he doesn't like bright lights. But when the lights start to go down, he comes right out and cruises all around the rocks looking for goodies.

So far he hasn't gone after any of the things I expected might be a problem. He hasn't touched any corals, and the snails seem to be still there. I even found the second sexy shrimp tonight, so he didn't get eaten either. But I moved him to the 40g, so as not to take any chances.

My oldest daughter and I took a field trip to a new (to me) LFS about thirty minutes away. They opened up about a year ago, but I just hadn't made the time to go visit them until yesterday. I'm really glad I did, it's by far the best LFS in the area now. They had a good selection of healthy looking fish, and lots of corals that, unlike every other lfs, both looked decent and were reasonably priced. Even their dry goods section was nice, and to top it all off, they're the first LFS I could find that carries frozen PE Calanus shrimp!

I didn't plan on buying anything, but a couple corals jumped into my basket on their own. What could I do? They were offering buy one, get one half off :D. So I got a decent trumpet frag for $40, and a nice frag of fathead dendros for $10.

I put the dendros in the little cave behind the acans. I've been trying to come up with something to put there for a long time, because it's too dark for anything photosynthetic to live in. Now I'm tempted to go back to the lfs because they also had black sun corals... :ninja:

Here's a shot of both the dendros and the trumpets. You can also see the chalice I moved to the back, trying to recover from too much light on the sandbed.

28271401810_5c32a5a211_b.jpg20160725-untitled-078-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Top down - you can just see one of the dendro heads at the bottom. This gives a better view of the chalice.

28555322875_3471f76d7e_b.jpg20160725-untitled-080-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 10

Do you know what they're made of and how fine the pores are. Would they contain media like Chemipure etc.

White eyelash organza bags is what they are called so I would have to assume that somewhere in China all the albino's are missing eyelashes. Maybe some old people too but mostly albino's. i wonder how many eyelashes it takes to weave a 4 X 5 inch bag? Hmmm

• Like 1

White eyelash organza bags is what they are called so I would have to assume that somewhere in China all the albino's are missing eyelashes. Maybe some old people too but mostly albino's. i wonder how many eyelashes it takes to weave a 4 X 5 inch bag? Hmmm

As cheap as the bags are, those must be some really cheap eyelashes :lol:

• Like 1

That fish, wow!! Love to hear how he does with the corals.

BTW, I hear you on corals jumping into your cart/basket. lol I went to LFS today and so many things wanted to jump in mine. I only resisted because I have some coming in the mail and want to buy a clam... a bit tapped out, it was really hard...

Where I lived before didn't have stuff like this, so it was never a temptation. It's all new to go to a LFS and actually see coral in person. One of the stores here is very reasonably priced, they had SPS and zoa frags for as low as $6 and some were popping!

• Like 3

BTW, I hear you on corals jumping into your cart/basket. lol I went to LFS today and so many things wanted to jump in mine. I only resisted because I have some coming in the mail and want to buy a clam... a bit tapped out, it was really hard...

Where I lived before didn't have stuff like this, so it was never a temptation. It's all new to go to a LFS and actually see coral in person. One of the stores here is very reasonably priced, they had SPS and zoa frags for as low as $6 and some were popping!

Wow, "reasonable" prices in my neck of the woods mean they have some for less than $40 each. It's really easy to pass on those especially when they're pretty much bottom of the barrel quality. I mean, I'd be willing to take a chance on a brown acro or an orange acan, except I'm pretty sure they actually are brown acros and orange acans to begin with :unsure:

But this place had nice frags at decent prices. I could have gotten a two headed candy cane for $20 instead of the $40 one I bought, for example. At some of the other LFS's, they would sell the two headed candy cane for $60, instead of the usual $40, because it's a "colony" :lol:

Can you tell me more about your nopox regimen? Love the dendros btw.

Thanks, I can't wait for them to multiply and fill up the cave :)

The NoPox is simple, you dose a set amount every day based on a formula from the instructions, which is set according to what your current nitrate level is. Then you measure nitrates and PO4 twice a week so you can adjust the dose. I saw results after the first week, and nitrates went down from about 15 to less than 5 in about four to six weeks. Lower PO4 follows but after a much longer time, it seems like two or three months. I still use GFO to help get it down, though.

Even their dry goods section was nice, and to top it all off, they're the first LFS I could find that carries frozen PE Calanus shrimp!

I didn't plan on buying anything, but a couple corals jumped into my basket on their own. What could I do? They were offering buy one, get one half off :D. So I got a decent trumpet frag for $40, and a nice frag of fathead dendros for $10.

WHAT?! Did they reverse the price? Fathead dendros are like $50-$70 a head here!! And trumpets are like $5 a head =P.

Have you fed with PE Calanus? I bought some but it's sooo small that I can't tell if fish are even eating them.

• Like 2

Teeny, this tank is so damn pretty. That puffer is cute too. So glad to see your IM10 rocking

Thanks, Tibbsy! Hope you are doing well :)

WHAT?! Did they reverse the price? Fathead dendros are like $50-$70 a head here!! And trumpets are like $5 a head =P.

Have you fed with PE Calanus? I bought some but it's sooo small that I can't tell if fish are even eating them.

I honestly don't know if they are fatheads (dendros) or sun corals (tubastrea) or what. But they are pretty and yeah, I would have expected them to be more expensive than the trumpets :)

• Like 1

After doing a couple water changes, putting in new carbon and GFO, and upping the NoPox dosage, nitrates are back where they should be, right at 1. But phosphates have gone up slightly, from .17 to .19. Usually when I put in fresh GFO, PO4 starts going down right away. I may just double the quantity with some fresh stuff, just so I can stay ahead of this problem. I'm still feeding fairly heavily because of the new fish and corals, and I'm sure that's why I'm having problems keeping the parameters in check.

Those trumpets and leopard are badass! I almost got one of the leopards......but went with the Mimic filefish instead. That leopard is pretty!

• Like 1

Those trumpets and leopard are badass! I almost got one of the leopards......but went with the Mimic filefish instead. That leopard is pretty!

Wow, I'd never heard of those, they are really cool! Do they eat snails like real puffers?

I'm not a puffer kinda girl, but your little guy is so unusual Teeny.

I admit I got him as kind of a utility fish in hopes that he'll eat vermetid worms, but I've been so happy with his personality and looks :)

Sweet fish. I been wanting to try one in my reef for some time now.

I think you'd like one!
  • Like 3

I agree with everyone else, that puffer is beautiful! Also, I'm pretty sure those are sun coral, not dendros, but very similar in care!

• Like 2

Wow, I'd never heard of those, they are really cool! Do they eat snails like real puffers?

I admit I got him as kind of a utility fish in hopes that he'll eat vermetid worms, but I've been so happy with his personality and looks :)

I think you'd like one!

Been a model citizen so far.......he nips my arm when it goes in the tank....makes me jump every time :^ )

• Like 1

You're just in time for a new picture, too. Doug came out last night while the lights were still bright enough to take pictures. I'm really quite smitten with this guy, he's beautiful and has a great personality.

:lol: you went with Doug :wub:. He is such a Doug too!!!! That photo is amazing!!!!

Trumpets for $60?????? I could almost be a millionaire :D.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone else, that puffer is beautiful! Also, I'm pretty sure those are sun coral, not dendros, but very similar in care!

I second sun corals. From what I've gathered, dendros have a more translucent look (especially the tentacles, but also the fleshy extension and mouth), and the sun corals seem to have a more opaque sheen.

• Like 1

See I knew I recognized your screen name on Wrs. Are you talking about best fish? I love that place.

• Like 2

See I knew I recognized your screen name on Wrs. Are you talking about best fish? I love that place.

Yeah, just moved to the area.

I noticed their stock list is so cheap compared to what I am used to. Flaming prawn $50, Bellus angel $80. Both of those are tempting, the 10g might even be too big for a prawn though.

Do you know what sort of guarantee they have? if any?

• Like 1