Innovative Marine Aquariums

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

:lol: you went with Doug :wub:. He is such a Doug too!!!! That photo is amazing!!!!

Trumpets for $60?????? I could almost be a millionaire :D.

Thanks, Gena. Yep, Doug is the perfect name! The only thing I'm a little worried about is since he's all head, it's really hard to tell if he's eating enough :lol: But he comes out every evening and swims all over, and I see him pick at the rocks every once in a while. Based on that, I think he's eating. I think :huh:

The trumpet frag was $40 ($10/head), and the sun corals were $20. But it was buy one, get one half off, so the sun corals were actually only $10.

I second sun corals. From what I've gathered, dendros have a more translucent look (especially the tentacles, but also the fleshy extension and mouth), and the sun corals seem to have a more opaque sheen.

I agree, after looking at a few more pictures online, mine are definitely not fatheads. But they are still pretty :)

My wife and kids went to Water Country today while I went to work...hmmmpf.

So to make up for my sadness, I went to my other favorite LFS after work just to see if they had gotten any good corals in. And what do you know, they had some pretty little chalice frags.

Now I know that was a Sign, because the chalice I just moved onto the rocks in hopes of recovering ended up melting down completely. For no apparent reason. So I got a new chalice :)

28337573490_892f150fe2_b.jpgChalice by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 7

That is such a nice chalice. I used to have a few really nice ones but Alk swings killed them off :(. I'd love to replace the purple monster chalice that I lost one day.

• Like 1

That is such a nice chalice. I used to have a few really nice ones but Alk swings killed them off :(. I'd love to replace the purple monster chalice that I lost one day.

Thanks! I've only ever had the one, and while it was really pretty, it never really grew in my tank.

I threw the skeleton in the frag tank, on top of the rubble rock under the frag rack. Who knows, maybe there's a tiny bit of flesh left and it will regenerate someday. I can never stand to just throw away a dead looking frag until it gets completely encrusted in coralline and I know it's really really dead :rolleyes:

I really like this new one, and I hope it does better than the last one. I think I had the last one under too much light, even on the sand bed. This time I've got it in a more shaded location.

• Like 2

Thanks, Gena. Yep, Doug is the perfect name! The only thing I'm a little worried about is since he's all head, it's really hard to tell if he's eating enough :lol: But he comes out every evening and swims all over, and I see him pick at the rocks every once in a while. Based on that, I think he's eating. I think :huh:

The trumpet frag was $40 ($10/head), and the sun corals were $20. But it was buy one, get one half off, so the sun corals were actually only $10.

I agree, after looking at a few more pictures online, mine are definitely not fatheads. But they are still pretty :)

My wife and kids went to Water Country today while I went to work...hmmmpf.

So to make up for my sadness, I went to my other favorite LFS after work just to see if they had gotten any good corals in. And what do you know, they had some pretty little chalice frags.

Now I know that was a Sign, because the chalice I just moved onto the rocks in hopes of recovering ended up melting down completely. For no apparent reason. So I got a new chalice :)

28337573490_892f150fe2_b.jpgChalice by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Sun corals are great too! I've got one that I just love. If you feed feed feed they will develop new polyps really quickly :)

• Like 1
RIP Sebastian

Thanks, Yoshii :)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, so far so good!

You're just in time for a new picture, too. Doug came out last night while the lights were still bright enough to take pictures. I'm really quite smitten with this guy, he's beautiful and has a great personality.

27937879004_85789def5d_b.jpg20160724-untitled-017-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

:wub:

• Like 1

Sun corals are great too! I've got one that I just love. If you feed feed feed they will develop new polyps really quickly :)

Thanks! They add so much color to the tank, and I really like being able to put them in a dark spot without having to worry about light. I had some in my 4g tank and I've really missed having them since the crash.

I try to feed them almost every day, and they seem very happy so far.

:wub:

I agree :D

I've been pretty frustrated with my zoas in this tank for quite a while. They just never seem to thrive, and even ones that used to do well have been closing up and getting smaller lately. I've had some luck by draining out enough water to expose them, and putting a little peroxide on them, but that only seems to help for about a week.

So I've gotten more aggressive - I was able to get one rock out of the tank and did a Bayer dip earlier this week, and yesterday I did a Furan-2 dip on all three rocks that have zoas on them. The difference was impressive after the Furan-2 dip, lots of polyps were open a few hours later that had been closed up for days. I had noticed a lot of white spots on some of the zoas in a picture I took the other day, so I was really hoping the Furan-2 would work since it looked like zoa pox.

I'll be doing two more Furan-2 dips, one today, and one tomorrow. Hopefully this will knock it out permanently!

While I had the rocks out, I stirred up the sand where the rocks were, which made a huge mess of course. I turned up the MP10 to get it suspended so it could get filtered out. I had to turkey baste the rocks several times before it was all cleaned up, but it was worth it. Then I did a water change and sucked detritus out of the back chambers. I think this will help a lot with nitrates and phosphates.

• Like 6
blizzardscout2

I have had trouble with my Zoas closing for days and just melting away. Next time I have them I will try dipping them if I have the same problem. I am glad it has worked so far for you. The detritus that collects under the rocks is impressive, I usually make a point of moving my rocks at least once a year to get all of that out. Since I run bare bottom now, now nearly as much collects under them. My phosphates since then have been almost zero and nitrates tend to be very low now.

Oh and that puffer is awesome! I am interested to see how it works out in your tank. More pictures!

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

Put the zooanthids in with the puffer, sounds like you might have spiders. If they're in there, Doug will sort them out in short order. Mother Nature gives us the weapons for a natural battle, we just have to deploy them correctly.

As for Doug bothering corals, fuggedaboutit, they like crustaceans, clams and some algae. The little Blue Spot I got out of Fiji decimated the vermetid snails in my 57 leather tank. I need to get 6-8 more of them. Now you have me wanting to get some Leopards the next time I order.

• Like 2

Zoas can be such a pain! Do you have pics? Do you dose aminos? Are they stretching for light (even closed)?

I hope you do not have spiders. I have seen them when I dip new corals and it freaks me out!

• Like 2

Zoas can be such a pain! Do you have pics? Do you dose aminos? Are they stretching for light (even closed)?

I hope you do not have spiders. I have seen them when I dip new corals and it freaks me out!

Puffers and wrasses for spiders. They think they're nommy, lol.

I'm 95% sure it's not spiders. I've looked really closely, and besides, Fitzgerald, the Pink Streaked Wrasse, should take care of them anyway. And if he doesn't, Doug the Puffer will.

I think it's a combination on things but mostly I think it's been zoa pox. The Furan-2 dip made a huge difference just hours after the dip. Of course, the other problem is the clowns hosting in the larger polyps, but there's no dip that will fix that problem :P

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

I love Walt Smith's and Vietnamese zooanthids, I've yet to see any cooties in them. Now Indo zooanthids, holy hell, cooties a go-go, makes me think of the Charlie Daniels song The Legend of Wooley swamp, things crawl, things that fly and things that creep around on the ground.

• Like 2

I love Walt Smith's and Vietnamese zooanthids, I've yet to see any cooties in them. Now Indo zooanthids, holy hell, cooties a go-go, makes me think of the Charlie Daniels song The Legend of Wooley swamp, things crawl, things that fly and things that creep around on the ground.

This cracks me up! I've never been able to get zoas to thrive long term in this tank, there have been some kind of cooties or infection bothering them and spreading all over. I really hope between Bayer and Furan I can wipe it out for good. My zoas have really gone downhill over the last six months.
Elizabeth94

Zoas are so annoying. They used to do great in my first tank, but I never had luck with them in either of the fusions.

My rastas had zoapox and I dipped them in iodine a few times. It cleared up for a week or so then it appeared again. I just gave up on them and they went from about 25 polyps to 4. Meh.

• Like 2
StinkyBunny

Well congrats man!!!

As for the zoas, when the weather cools down I'm going to start shipping a few things out. We'll be down your way in a few weeks. I still have a few zooanthids laying around the QT tank. I think 99% of the shit encountered is Indo cooties. I've been trying to get hold of some of Walt Smith's raspberry zooanthids, damn they're nice.

Zoanthus8.jpg

• Like 4

Well congrats man!!!

As for the zoas, when the weather cools down I'm going to start shipping a few things out. We'll be down your way in a few weeks. I still have a few zooanthids laying around the QT tank. I think 99% of the shit encountered is Indo cooties. I've been trying to get hold of some of Walt Smith's raspberry zooanthids, damn they're nice.

Zoanthus8.jpg

I want!

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

I want!

I sent them an email asking who I have to kill to get a couple rocks of them, lol. when I get them and the frags heal they'll be up for sale. I've ordered them 6 frickin' times and got 0. I mean, hell, if I have to order large rocks, so be it. Just let me know because I'm not a zooanthid person, but I like those. I also want one of their blue tip ritteris. Sorry for the derail teeny, lol. If anyone wants to look at what they have, here's the link to the photo gallery. Not everything is available all the time and some thing don't do well in shipping. http://waltsmith.com/PhotoGallery.htm

Anemone_BlueTipRitteri.jpg

• Like 3