Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

I melted a chalice just like that. :( Hopefully it grows well for you, I love the coloring.

What are you running your Nanobox at? The channels and intensity?

• Like 1

I melted a chalice just like that. :( Hopefully it grows well for you, I love the coloring.

What are you running your Nanobox at? The channels and intensity?

Thanks, Mark. Here's my Bluefish schedule. It's basically Dave's default schedule, shifted around for later hours since I'm not home during the day. I saw your notes about increasing the limes, but my limes are tied to the whites. Are yours separate?

Morning Start: 1:15 PM

Morning Length: 180

Ramp: 60

RB: 45

WW/L: 20

V: 45

B/C: 50

Fan: 80

Midday ramp: 90

RB: 90

WW/L: 45

V: 95

B/C: 95

Fan: 90

Evening Length: 240

Ramp: 60

RB: 45

WW/L 10

V: 45

B/C: 50

Fan: 75

Night Start: 11:45 PM

Ramp: 90

RB: 0.4

WW/L: 0/0

V: 0

B/C: 0

Fan: 0

Beautiful!!!

Thanks! I'm very pleased - it actually looked a little more drab at the LFS under their lighting, so it was a pleasant surprise :)

The key is to shoot in RAW and adjust the white balance afterwords. Sometimes I can get my cell phone to get the white balance close enough, not not often. In this particular shot, I also lowered the exposure because there was a lot of glare from reflections on the top of the corals that was blowing out the highlights. I adjusted the exposure up and lowered the highlights afterwards to help with that.

Here's the original RAW image:

28528229853_3bbd967913_b.jpg20160819-untitled-015-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

A few changes to exposure and highlights:

28859680550_3d3d5e4d92_b.jpg20160819-untitled-015-2-2.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

And then the white balance change. In this one, I moved tint all the way up to 50K, and moved temperature down to -42.Also, I ran it through the vibration reduction filter in Photoshop to reduce the blurring due to holding the camera by hand.

28995414742_3c9039b6ef_b.jpg20160819-untitled-015-2-Edit.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 12

Hey teeny,

Thanks for the info on the RAW shot. Looks great!

I recently picked up a Sony A6000 and a 50 mm f/1.8 lens which is my first "real" camera. Getting better and better, but have not used any editing software yet. Is Photoshop/Lightroom the only good options for editting RAW? Anything more simplified? :P

• Like 1
jedimasterben

You'll certainly get the most out of Lightroom than you will the alternatives - it is well worth the investment and the time it takes to learn it, plenty of tutorials online :)

• Like 3

Hey teeny,

Thanks for the info on the RAW shot. Looks great!

I recently picked up a Sony A6000 and a 50 mm f/1.8 lens which is my first "real" camera. Getting better and better, but have not used any editing software yet. Is Photoshop/Lightroom the only good options for editting RAW? Anything more simplified? :P

Buy LR. It will blow you away. Also when using RAW with a Sony you will get details that you can bring out in a not so good photo.

• Like 2

You'll certainly get the most out of Lightroom than you will the alternatives - it is well worth the investment and the time it takes to learn it, plenty of tutorials online :)

Or Ben on Google Hangout? ;)

Buy LR. It will blow you away. Also when using RAW with a Sony you will get details that you can bring out in a not so good photo.

Now I have to sign up on Adobe just to check the price! lol Damn you Dave for making me spend money - the camera wasn't enoug?! :naughtydance::bling::happydance::slap:

• Like 4
jedimasterben

Or Ben on Google Hangout? ;)

Now I have to sign up on Adobe just to check the price! lol Damn you Dave for making me spend money - the camera wasn't enoug?! :naughtydance::bling::happydance::slap:

that too! :P

• Like 2

You can get Lightroom as a subscription or a single purchase. The subscription is a scam IMO. I am still rocking Lightroom v3.4...

• Like 3

You can get Lightroom as a subscription or a single purchase. The subscription is a scam IMO. I am still rocking Lightroom v3.4...

Its $142.99 on amazon for the download. I have 5% off amazon right now so that makes it $135. :scarry:

• Like 1

Hey Teeny,

thanks for posting your Tide channel percentages. I want to try them out to see what happens.

Side note, I wanted to ask if you've experienced the aftermath of a power outage. So last week, my power was out for a little over 8 hours. Since then, I've lost all birdsnests due to tissue necrosis, and i'm starting to see some LPS having a hard time opening (candycane and hydrnophora). Montis are doing find and extending, along with the acros - no problem.

Nitrates are at 5.0. With the die off birdsnest colonies, does this contribute to nitrate spikes? I recently added some cheato algae in the HOB to mimic what you did with your 10gal.

Any guidance or related experiences would be helpful. Hate seeing things die.

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed post Teeny! I will try taking images in RAW tomorrow and see what happens.

Good luck and feel free to ask questions!

I have to confess I pay the $9.95 monthly scam. But I do get some benefits that I think are worthwhile. For one thing, the subscription includes Photoshop, and Photoshop's vibration/shake filter alone can sometimes make a huge difference. It also includes the online cloud storage which lets you sync pictures in LR Mobile on the phone with LR on the computer, which I do end up using a lot.

And of course I've always got the latest version of both with the subscription, and they do add some cool new features periodically.

• Like 2

I agree, LR is by far the best way to go.

But, there are free options. Every major camera maker offers free software that can edit their particular RAW format, and they include most of the basic tools that LR has including white balance adjustment. And in some minor ways, they can do a better job because they can take advantage of proprietary features of their own RAW format.

Nikon's is called "Capture NX-D". I think Sony's current one is "Capture One Express".

• Like 1

Hey Teeny,

thanks for posting your Tide channel percentages. I want to try them out to see what happens.

Side note, I wanted to ask if you've experienced the aftermath of a power outage. So last week, my power was out for a little over 8 hours. Since then, I've lost all birdsnests due to tissue necrosis, and i'm starting to see some LPS having a hard time opening (candycane and hydrnophora). Montis are doing find and extending, along with the acros - no problem.

Nitrates are at 5.0. With the die off birdsnest colonies, does this contribute to nitrate spikes? I recently added some cheato algae in the HOB to mimic what you did with your 10gal.

Any guidance or related experiences would be helpful. Hate seeing things die.

I'm sorry to hear about the problems! I haven't heard that a birdsnest going bad would significantly increase nitrates. It's not like when a big softy melts down.

I never had much luck with the tiny amount of chaeto I could grow in the back chamber. But it's worth trying!

I have been very happy with how well NoPox works to control Nitrates, although fixing the underlying issue is always the most important thing.

This tank is incredible. Stunning! Great work!

Thanks! Let me know when you get your tank upgrade going so I can follow along :)

Lightroom you say? :ninja:

:D The other thing I love about LR is it supports links to some photo sharing sites, like Flickr. So when I want to publish a picture to Flickr, I just drag the picture to my Flickr collection in LR and hit the "publish" button. It syncs everything up automatically. The only time I actually visit Flickr is to copy the link to the picture.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

:D The other thing I love about LR is it supports links to some photo sharing sites, like Flickr. So when I want to publish a picture to Flickr, I just drag the picture to my Flickr collection in LR and hit the "publish" button. It syncs everything up automatically. The only time I actually visit Flickr is to copy the link to the picture.

I did that for a while, but then it stopped working one day, and when I reinstalled Lightroom the other day (upgraded my computer and decided to reinstall Win10 while I was at it - 10 cores FTW!) I just was like screw it, not gonna fiddle with that anymore :)

• Like 2

Thanks! Let me know when you get your tank upgrade going so I can follow along :)

Thanks! I'm always looking for input from the experts. It feels good to reignite the "passion" I had for it a couple years ago.

It's a work in progress as of right now. I got the 5 gallon fresh up and stable. As for the reef, I'm monitoring nitrates closely after all of the disturbance yesterday. It's going to be completely dark for a week or so to help with the algae problem. I also just ordered a 20 gallon CUC from Reefcleaners. Should be here by Thursday.

• Like 1

I did that for a while, but then it stopped working one day, and when I reinstalled Lightroom the other day (upgraded my computer and decided to reinstall Win10 while I was at it - 10 cores FTW!) I just was like screw it, not gonna fiddle with that anymore :)

same thing. the Flickr plugin stopped working for me. i always thought it was because i am 3 major versions behind =P.

• Like 1

same thing. the Flickr plugin stopped working for me. i always thought it was because i am 3 major versions behind =P.

Mine quit working once or twice. I honestly can't remember what I did to get it working again, though. I remember doing some Googling and finding it was a common problem at one time that was introduced with one update and fixed later with another update.