Cultivated Reef

TeenyReef's 10g Fusion - ATO Disaster

teenyreef

There won't be nearly as much energy transfer that way, the fan above could probably remove 3-400 watts of heat per hour, a standard sized ice cube would probably only cool 5 watts or so.

I was saying rather than using a frozen bottle (worse case scenario). If the fan isn't enough :blink:

• Like 1

I was saying rather than using a frozen bottle (worse case scenario). If the fan isn't enough :blink:

Believe me, if I needed to I'd have a fan plus frozen bottles of water plus frozen cubes of saltwater if that's what it took :)

• Like 1

Damn on the AC, and it's HOT!

I subscribe to PS+LR as well. I really like Photoshop though the new update and having to export jpg files is a bit odd, I liked save for web better. I have not tried the anti-shake filter, going to have to give that a go.

• Like 3

I forgot to post about it, but the A/C got fixed late Friday afternoon after I found a local guy who cam out after hours and replaced a bad capacitor. But it's good to know how well the little clip on fan worked to cool the tank.

Damn on the AC, and it's HOT!

I subscribe to PS+LR as well. I really like Photoshop though the new update and having to export jpg files is a bit odd, I liked save for web better. I have not tried the anti-shake filter, going to have to give that a go.

Yeah, the whole workflow concept of having to export anything and everything you ever want takes some getting used to :)

The anti-shake filter can be really nice. Or really awful. Like most post-processing options, now that I think about it.

Hey teeny do you feed anything special to keep your puffer's teeth trimmed down?

No, nothing special. I have lots of snails, which he's supposed to eat, and they would keep his teeth trimmed down. But he's still pretty small, so I haven't really worried about it yet.

Wow, it's been a while since I updated here. I guess I've been paying a lot more attention to the 40g thread :rolleyes:

Things are just cruising along. I clean algae off the glass about every third day, and change the floss and empty the skimmer cup about twice a week. I increased the NoPox dosage and Nitrates are now at zero and phosphates are at .01. Oops :blush:. Fortunately the corals don't seem to have freaked out over the drop in nutrients, other than the zoas looking a little puny, but I've decreased the dosage to get the nutrients back up just a bit.

The acans have been filling in and puffing up really well. Still no sign of the rainbow colors some of them used to have, but they're still pretty.

29465782905_96e0a85458_b.jpgAcan Garden by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Doug, the leopard toby puffer, was swimming around photobombing, so I tried to capture the colors that I see on him from the top:

29465783575_1b3ccc113c_b.jpgLeopard Toby Puffer by TeenyReef, on Flickr

Finally, an updated top down shot. I have a couple frag plugs with scraps of plating sponges on them that are recovering after falling apart in the 40g tank. My blue plating sponge does very well in this tank so they should be able to bounce back. They look terrible but there are a few scraps off good stuff that are already growing back.

29177323510_74dca5676f_b.jpg20160904-untitled-036.jpg by TeenyReef, on Flickr

• Like 11

Love your little puffer's colors and design.

He really is a cool little fish :)

I can't believe how vivid your corals colors are!!!

Thanks! I always love looking at this tank from the top down - the colors really do pop and get really deep when you look straight down.

I moved Humphrey and Dilbert, the two clown fish, to the 40g tank last night. They aren't too big for this tank yet, but they are getting there. And I don't have any good corals for them to host in this tank. The hammers are too small, and so they end up snuggling in the zoas and palys. And of course the Z's and P's really don't like being snuggled :P

They're doing fine in the new tank, and now this tank has two very small green banded gobies, a small pink streaked wrasse, and the leopard toby puffer. Since the tank has done fairly well with the bioload from all these fish plus two fairly good sized clowns, I think I will get a new fish or two in place of the clowns. It will have to be a nano-sized fish of course. I'd like to get something that's an open water swimmer that won't be a jerk to the other fish. Any ideas?

• Like 2
Obsessed Reefer

I think I will get a new fish or two in place of the clowns. It will have to be a nano-sized fish of course. I'd like to get something that's an open water swimmer that won't be a jerk to the other fish. Any ideas?

I forget if you keep a top on this tank, if so, maybe a firefish.

• Like 1

Still looking great John! Man those caps grow like weeds in your tank!!

Thanks! Yeah, if the caps aren't growing, I know something is seriously out of whack :)

You got a puffer! He is so cute. I did not know that any puffers were reef safe. Your tank is looking amazing.

Thanks, Dawn! Many of the toby puffers stay small and are "reef safe with caution". Meaning they're usually OK but no guarantees. Or meaning, they don't eat corals but they eat snails.

Mine has been great, he picks whatever he can find around the corals, but he's very careful and I've never seen him actually pick at a coral.

• Like 1

I forget if you keep a top on this tank, if so, maybe a firefish.

I have a top, so a firefish is on the list! But I do worry about it jumping during a water change. I had a firefish when I first started in the hobby and he was so obsessed with jumping out that he only lasted about two weeks even though I had a lid :(

I've been working on a fish list. Some of these I've just put down as ideas, and I haven't tried to cut down the list to serious contenders yet. And I still need to add more fish to the list, but at least this gives me a starting point for research.

Yellow Assessor Basslet
Blue/Green Chromis (not blue chromis)
Yellowstripe Cardinal
Swissguard Basslet
Helfrichi's or other Firefish
Geometric Pygmy Hawk
Various dottybacks
Talbot's Damsel
  • Like 3

Dottybacks are the devils

That's what I've heard. I saw a few reports of orchid dottybacks being relatively docile but I only put them down as an unlikely last choice.

• Like 1
Obsessed Reefer

I've been working on a fish list. Some of these I've just put down as ideas, and I haven't tried to cut down the list to serious contenders yet. And I still need to add more fish to the list, but at least this gives me a starting point for research.

Yellow Assessor Basslet

Yellowstripe Cardinal

Swissguard Basslet

Geometric Pygmy Hawk

Various dottybacks

Talbot's Damsel

My vote is for the Swissguard Basslet

• Like 1

Yellow Assessor Basslet
Yellowstripe Cardinal
Swissguard Basslet
Geometric Pygmy Hawk
Various dottybacks
Talbot's Damsel

Geometric Pygmy Hawk all the way!

• Like 1