Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

natalia_la_loca

:wub:

The little acro between the green slimer and the katropora (not sure if I got those names right) isn't there now.

• Like 1

:wub:

The little acro between the green slimer and the katropora (not sure if I got those names right) isn't there now.

hehehe, the top picture is the now. I actually glued that there today. Also the red dragon position was moved.

Couple more changes but it can't be seen in these pictures.

Is that a Chinese black box fuge light?

Mars. Yes. With some Benny-fidications.

-No optics

-Red/Green was replaced with Violet.

-And New, quieter, fans.

The corals at the bottom right have grown/rotated a bit, and the slimer's making a break for it..

And no more crooked lid. egyptian.gif

• Like 3
JavaJacketOC

Mars. Yes. With some Benny-fidications.

-No optics

-Red/Green was replaced with Violet.

-And New, quieter, fans.

And no more crooked lid. egyptian.gif

Nice!

• Like 1
reefernanoman

No mo frag rack. Thanks Benny. :)

26739862622_02f12cbaff_k.jpg

Also made some changes to coral placement. Can you spot the difference? :)

Before

26730857735_61031dba38_k.jpg

I could watch this picture all day and nothing else! Beautiful.

• Like 2

I like the way you put the pink whatever up instead of in the straight line it was in the old pic. Also the twist of the frag rock mag thing on the back is good.

• Like 3
StinkyBunny

For us newer reefers why does alk need measured daily? What part does it play in the reef tank?

Until you figure out daily usage, yes. Once it's figured out, weekly says the guy who tests every 2 weeks.

Also made some changes to coral placement. Can you spot the difference? :)

If I have ti guess, I'm just gonna come take everything. :D

• Like 1

Throwback Thursday!

My tank arriving from California

20141114_124252.jpg

The flatworm cesspool that was my fuge back in 2013 in the RSM.

And yet not one single FW was visible in the display.

20131112_222015.jpg

One of many phyto cultures :lol:

20131128_105831.jpg

Sam and Bella

20130428_182356.jpg

• Like 7
Mariaface

Are those my hydroids in that last picture? I'm gonna take a close look at the tank tonight and see if they've disappeared some more. I also dipped a red cap frag in 1/4 H2O2, 3/4 tank water, for about fifteen seconds. It didn't like a second of it, but I want to see what happened to the hydroids overnight..

StinkyBunny

I know there are pics of the old 240 somewhere at the farm, but damn if I've been able to lay my hands on them. I'll have to scan them in if I do find them.

Are those my hydroids in that last picture? I'm gonna take a close look at the tank tonight and see if they've disappeared some more. I also dipped a red cap frag in 1/4 H2O2, 3/4 tank water, for about fifteen seconds. It didn't like a second of it, but I want to see what happened to the hydroids overnight..

Your hydroids? In my tank? Not likely. That's my RSM and that is turf algae.

Also peroxide and SPS don't mix but you have to do something for those hydroids I guess.

Mariaface

Your hydroids? In my tank? Not likely. That's my RSM and that is turf algae.

Also peroxide and SPS don't mix but you have to do something for those hydroids I guess.

:P I meant the type (I can never find someone with the same type of hydroids, except maybe the beginning of polarcollision's tank).

They seem to crowd wherever food can settle, so I can see algae being a great place. The white looking masses that kind of branch/run and have a tiny bulb at each end? The camera probably didn't pick up the tiny hairs sticking out of each bulb..

• Like 1
Arkayology

Looking good, Kat! How are the undersides of those acros doing? The branches look nice and thick. Colors look good too.

:P I meant the type (I can never find someone with the same type of hydroids, except maybe the beginning of polarcollision's tank).

They seem to crowd wherever food can settle, so I can see algae being a great place. The white looking masses that kind of branch/run and have a tiny bulb at each end? The camera probably didn't pick up the tiny hairs sticking out of each bulb..

pictures would be good for an ID, they're probably hard to photograph though.

Looking good, Kat! How are the undersides of those acros doing? The branches look nice and thick. Colors look good too.

Hi Indy! Undersides, hmmm. Well they all have flesh except the slimer. The setosa actually has color on the underside, the Kat is just a green tinged beige. Most of them fluoresce on the underside with a UV flashlight. But it's not uniform with every coral. The slimer had some areas on the underside that were stressed for a good long while and it finally peeled away the flesh. It shows a growth rim but the cause of the stress is still there. It's growing very thick and I think the reason for that and the stress is the proximity to the loc line and flow from the Gyre.

Some corals have a shadow. This is not so much on the underside as on the side. There is flesh but it's dark and doesn't show up with the UV light. Not sure if SPS can have flesh that doesn't fluoresce. But it's not a dead area, those show up differently.

Couple of months ago the underside of the Kat was stressed. I frantically searched for bugs, bite marks anything. Didn't find anything. Not sure what causes these episodes.

Arkayology

Hi Indy! Undersides, hmmm. Well they all have flesh except the slimer. The setosa actually has color on the underside, the Kat is just a green tinged beige. Most of them fluoresce on the underside with a UV flashlight. But it's not uniform with every coral. The slimer had some areas on the underside that were stressed for a good long while and it finally peeled away the flesh. It shows a growth rim but the cause of the stress is still there. It's growing very thick and I think the reason for that and the stress is the proximity to the loc line and flow from the Gyre.

Some corals have a shadow. This is not so much on the underside as on the side. There is flesh but it's dark and doesn't show up with the UV light. Not sure if SPS can have flesh that doesn't fluoresce. But it's not a dead area, those show up differently.

Couple of months ago the underside of the Kat was stressed. I frantically searched for bugs, bite marks anything. Didn't find anything. Not sure what causes these episodes.

hmm, interesting. IME the SPS would lose the tan/green flesh on the undersides when organics were taken out of the water too fast or if there were alk spikes/drops. I was just wondering how your experience was with this.

hmm, interesting. IME the SPS would lose the tan/green flesh on the undersides when organics were taken out of the water too fast or if there were alk spikes/drops. I was just wondering how your experience was with this.

No drops. No hikes. The system may not have perfect parameters (According to Triton) but it's been steady. I recently used phosphate Rx to drop my phosphate. But that was this week.

Markalot alluded to nutrients being responsible for stressed undersides of the SPS as well. Mostly low nitrates with high phosphates I believe he said. That may be true in my system.

Arkayology

No drops. No hikes. The system may not have perfect parameters (According to Triton) but it's been steady. I recently used phosphate Rx to drop my phosphate. But that was this week.

Markalot alluded to nutrients being responsible for stressed undersides of the SPS as well. Mostly low nitrates with high phosphates I believe he said. That may be true in my system.

Well, let me know if it grows back. I haven't seen it grow back once it is gone, most likely because of the algae I guess.