Coral Vue Hydros

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Apollo is still present and accounted for. He's still looking for ways to jump. I'm terrified of working in the tank with the lid off.

so your saying you don't want a fish named Apollo to take to the skies?

• Like 2

so your saying you don't want a fish named Apollo to take to the skies?

Okay that's a fair point. The other option is Jupiter.

Or ROC. For Mr. Rochester. But he needs a Jane.

MD has 10% off red sea and salifert test kits today. Decisions decisions

Polydactyl cats are cool, but you know how that happens right?

Not really but I'm assuming his mama made merry with a lot of Tomcats. Interestingly his litter mate, Sidney, had normal feet and yellow eyes.

Hemingway cats.

The Ernest Hemingway Home and Museum is home to approximately 40-50 polydactyl (six-toed) cats. Cats normally have five front toes and four back toes. About half of the cats at the museum have the physical polydactyl trait but they all carry the polydactyl gene in their DNA, which means that the ones that have 4 and 5 toes can still mother or father six-toed kittens. Most cats have extra toes on their front feet and sometimes on their back feet as well. Sometimes it looks as if they are wearing mittens because they appear to have a thumb on their paw.

Ernest Hemingway was given a white six-toed cat by a ship's captain and some of the cats who live on the museum grounds are descendants of that original cat, named Snow White. Key West is a small island and it is possible that many of the cats on the island are related. The polydactyl cats are not a particular breed. The trait can appear in any breed, Calicos, Tabbies, Tortoise Shell. White, Black, etc. They vary in shapes, sizes, colors and personalities.

Routine procedures such as ear mite treatment, flea spraying, and worming are performed here at the museum by our Veterinarian, Dr. Edie Clark. Dr Clark also administers annual vaccinations, and performs routine animal health maintenance.

Recently the Pfizer Company has come forward to provide us with Revolution® for our cats to protect them from heartworms, fleas and other harmful parasites.

Hemingway named all of his cats after famous people so we follow that same tradition today. Cats are capable of learning and responding to their names, particularly if they have an affectionate relationship with

the person who calls them.

• Like 1
StinkyBunny

The grounds around the Hemingway house smells of tom cat piss, I mean it's absolutely horrific if there's no breeze and you happen to be on a bike. omgomgomg

What I was getting at is sometimes that's a genetic defect from mom and dad being a little to close in the family tree if ya nomasayin. ;)

• Like 1

Never heard of it.

Remember how I told you that I had been neglecting my reef (duh) and as a result nitrate had risen, and then alkalinity a bunch too? Then back down and now getting adjusted again? Well take that as an example to test and log the holy hell out of your alkalinity levels because now my M. setosa is dumping flesh. You have a giant, awesome setosa colony. Don't dick around. Order more test kits if you have to. Just make sure you:

Measure.

Alkalinity.

Daily.

For us newer reefers why does alk need measured daily? What part does it play in the reef tank?

• Like 3