Top Shelf Aquatics

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

QT does not have good news. My female wrasse died yesterday. Male is doing fine.

One colony RTNd, another is RTNing. Cut off the dead portions super glued it, inspected and put all colonies in the DT.

Did a water change, there has been no ammonia so not sure why she would be eating and happy one day and just gone the next.

:(

QT does not have good news. My female wrasse died yesterday. Male is doing fine.

One colony RTNd, another is RTNing. Cut off the dead portions super glued it, inspected and put all colonies in the DT.

Did a water change, there has been no ammonia so not sure why she would be eating and happy one day and just gone the next.

Aww shit, sorry for your loss! - she was a beauty :( hopefully the male does well.

pappadumplingz

Shame. Sorry for your loss. Sucks when you lose a fish and you don't know what killed it.

Shame. Sorry for your loss. Sucks when you lose a fish and you don't know what killed it.

Thanks. They were wild caught only a week and a half ago. I don't know how they were caught. I just hope the male is okay.

StinkyBunny

Sometimes, even though we do our best, some fish fail to thrive through no fault of our own. I don't think cyanide would be an issue in The Marshall Islands Kat. If they were Indonesian or from The Philippines I'd say there's a possibility.

• Like 2

Sorry to hear about your wrasse. It always amazes me how easily you can get attached to these critters....I actually cried when my emerald crab died; he was such a character, and I really missed his antics. Hopefully the male will stay healthy and thrive.

• Like 3

Sometimes, even though we do our best, some fish fail to thrive through no fault of our own. I don't think cyanide would be an issue in The Marshall Islands Kat. If they were Indonesian or from The Philippines I'd say there's a possibility.

I don't know when I'll ever get another opportunity to get a shipment from the Marshal Islands. :(

Sorry about the wrasse, really sucks when there is no obvious decline or reason for the death :grouphug:

Yea. Thanks Java.

Sorry to hear about your wrasse. It always amazes me how easily you can get attached to these critters....I actually cried when my emerald crab died; he was such a character, and I really missed his antics. Hopefully the male will stay healthy and thrive.

Inorite? Sucks. :(

JavaJacketOC

There must have been a large recent import of these because I've seen multiple pairs for sale in my area. Maybe you can pick up another female?

StinkyBunny

He's talking about doing them more now. I'll do a box when I get these 2 systems online. I'd be outside working now but it has to be frickin' raining, damn it. :rant:

There must have been a large recent import of these because I've seen multiple pairs for sale in my area. Maybe you can pick up another female?

Yes there was, about 2 weeks ago.

• Like 1
JavaJacketOC

He's talking about doing them more now. I'll do a box when I get these 2 systems online. I'd be outside working now but it has to be frickin' raining, damn it. :rant:

Yes there was, about 2 weeks ago.

A friend I met through local reef forums has the ability to go to wholesalers. He's never done it before and I've only ever gone to reptile wholesalers....I kinda want to walk into a warehouse with 500 cubicles of fish just begging me to take them home.

• Like 2

Aww, that really sucks. Sorry to hear it.

872f962fb57aedb2117ad22f48800ab2.png

I always feel like once I've photographed a fish, it becomes a real loss. It's even harder when all the rest of us were vicariously monitoring your QT.

StinkyBunny

A friend I met through local reef forums has the ability to go to wholesalers. He's never done it before and I've only ever gone to reptile wholesalers....I kinda want to walk into a warehouse with 500 cubicles of fish just begging me to take them home.

It sounds cool, but in reality it's just OK. I've been to some of the biggest and to be honest, I wasn't impressed. My little set up works for me. I get to sort through boxes and keep what we want. If there's something you're looking for, I'm just a PM away. I'll have these other tanks up and running this weekend and be able to order more stuff. 1 word of caution about shopping wholesalers, QUARANTINE! There are 2 strains of Ich that will wipe out a system in 2 days, you have been warned.

Back in the 80's there was a guy named Glenn, I can't remember his last name or maybe I never heard it. He operated a small wholesale facility UNDER the Philly morgue, lol. Jokingly I asked him who he was hiding from, he responded with "EVERYONE", lol. About a year later I called and got no answer so I called back about a week later and the federales answered, I hung up.

Oh no! :( I always hate not knowing what went wrong - how are you supposed to learn what to fix the next time around?

Fingers crossed for the little guy! Is there a wide-spectrum antibiotic in the QT? Maybe a probiotic of some sort could help?

jedimasterben

Oh no! :( I always hate not knowing what went wrong - how are you supposed to learn what to fix the next time around?

Fingers crossed for the little guy! Is there a wide-spectrum antibiotic in the QT? Maybe a probiotic of some sort could help?

Antibiotics don't do a whole lot and can do a lot of harm, as well, if not used to treat specific nasties. Typically fish are attacked by parasites.

• Like 1

Maybe.

Aww, that really sucks. Sorry to hear it.

872f962fb57aedb2117ad22f48800ab2.png

I always feel like once I've photographed a fish, it becomes a real loss. It's even harder when all the rest of us were vicariously monitoring your QT.

In (almost) 5 years the instant losses (like within 2 weeks is instant to me) has been rare for me. Maybe I've been lucky but I remember each one because it hurts. These are those unknown reason fish deaths.

1 Neon Goby from KP in 2011

5 Longspine Cardinalfish from POTO in 2015

1 Huge Mandarin from Blue Zoo in 2014

3 Anthias from Divers Den in 2016

1 Rhomboid from Marshall Islands yesterday

He's talking about doing them more now. I'll do a box when I get these 2 systems online.

okay

Im sorry Kat :tears::tears::tears: she was a real beauty :(

They were both happy swimming eating. The male is still out and about, he's bolder each day. I just need to make sure he is eating.

Antibiotics don't do a whole lot and can do a lot of harm, as well, if not used to treat specific nasties. Typically fish are attacked by parasites.

Yehp! I was just asking if there was one, because if so then a dose of healthy bacteria would be pretty useless. :P

They were both happy swimming eating. The male is still out and about, he's bolder each day. I just need to make sure he is eating.

Good luck!

• Like 1