SaltCritters.com

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Try wrapping bryopsis up in the caulerpa or setting the feeder algae on bryopsis patches maybe he just needs better motivation.

Like a bryopsis hot dog eh.

I notice my bryopsis is impervious to even crabs, pretty convenient for me since everything else was too delicate to be with them

Bryopsis is the undefeatable by natural methods of control. Chemicals work (Tech M) but my SPS colonies are not worth the risk IMO. I've been toying with the idea of setting up my 10G as a hospital tank for the bryopsis pieces and dosing Kent Tech M in that tank.

What are your nitrates at? My view goes contrary to popular schools of thought but I think when you end up with unfavourable algae blooms, such as bryopsis or dinoflagellates (I know these are technically not algae) it's due to nitrate limitation which results in a slight abundance of free ammonium which certain species of dino and bryopsis in my experience thrive on. Try dosing small amounts of potassium nitrate, I've dosed upto 0.25ppm a day and it's cleared it up twice

• Like 2
Pinner Reef

Like a bryopsis hot dog eh.

I was just being a smartass... But now that you mention it I was thinking more like a sushi roll. Get on that and let me see it works for ya

• Like 1

What are your nitrates at? My view goes contrary to popular schools of thought but I think when you end up with unfavourable algae blooms, such as bryopsis or dinoflagellates (I know these are technically not algae) it's due to nitrate limitation which results in a slight abundance of free ammonium which certain species of dino and bryopsis in my experience thrive on. Try dosing small amounts of potassium nitrate, I've dosed upto 0.25ppm a day and it's cleared it up twice

Wow really? I am out of town again but I'll check nitrates when I'm back, usually hover in range or a little high being that I run a dirty system. potassium nitrate is worth looking into.

I was just being a smartass... But now that you mention it I was thinking more like a sushi roll. Get on that and let me see it works for ya

Let's see. Succulent caulerpa in the middle surrounded by bryopsis, wrapped in nori. Hmm, he really could enjoy it.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

The 95% are excellent algae eaters, and the 5% are excellent coral eaters

They eat micro and film algaes. Bryopsis is a complex macroalgae. Very little eats it.

• Like 1

me

are the asterina fun to have, I think they look adorable.

Some report luck with lettuce nudibranch.

I've heard the same, only issue is obtaining them.
  • Like 1

are the asterina fun to have, I think they look adorable. I've heard the same, only issue is obtaining them.

You can buy them. Many vendors sell them on line.

• Like 1

They eat micro and film algaes. Bryopsis is a complex macroalgae. Very little eats it.

it is very fibery and tough I know, maybe the animals know its not worth the time to eat it, I kinda like it, it doesn't grow that fast for me.

You can buy them. Many vendors sell them on line.

but they can many times be pricy

Wait forgot, most people don't penny pinch like me in this hobby

• Like 1

Wait forgot, most people don't penny pinch like me in this hobby

I got mine from a LFS who threw it in for free when I bought something else. I later paid for a Harlequin Shrimp to erradicate them because they removed all my beautiful coraline from my rocks.

• Like 5

I got mine from a LFS who threw it in for free when I bought something else. I later paid for a Harlequin Shrimp to erradicate them because they removed all my beautiful coraline from my rocks.

looks like they have an issue if indiscriminate feeding.
jedimasterben

Some report luck with lettuce nudibranch.

Yes, at least one of the species eats it and only it - but they all basically look identical so there is really no way of knowing besides finding one on a patch of it and being like JACKPOT :D

it is very fibery and tough I know, maybe the animals know its not worth the time to eat it, I kinda like it, it doesn't grow that fast for me.

There are many species of Bryopsis, so I'd assume all grow and spread at different rates.

• Like 1

I got mine from Indian river estuary, around 5 feet away from shore there were several nudibranch I had seen while collecting who I put back in the river none were green though, one was pretty cool and big at around 1 inch long and translucent darkish blue

I even seen one with the cool feathery back, deep purple and ¼ inch long

I've had lettuce nudibranchs. I even chronicled their progress in eating bryopsis. It seemed they cleaned up the frags. It was a controlled experiment, they were in my pico, the flow was ultra low so they weren't in danger of being chewed up by the power heads. Plus the nutrients in the pico were limited. Who is to say that both lack of nutrients and the slugs both helped.

The slugs soon withered away, my guess is that bryopsis is not their primary diet and they lacked in nutritional needs. Some research papers say they eat bryopsis, some say they eat GHA. Shrug.

• Like 1

I'm going to the airport, my cat kills me every time I leave the house with bags. He's been sitting on my luggage all night, wouldn't let me sleep really. Then followed me while I got ready to go. Finally he exists the apartment WITH me, checks out the hallway hoping to scare off my car service. I had to wait for him to saunter get back in before I could leave. Sigh. I gave him some rescue remedy but it takes a few minutes to work.

• Like 3