Pod Your Reef

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

I've been with FedEx dispatch several times already trying to get the thing delivered and been given the run around. They're now going to "try" to deliver today. Argh.

Ugh... FedEx...

They lost a package of ours (for work) last week for FOUR DAYS!! Simply because they couldn't be bothered to make sure they delivered to the right address.

Hopefully your tank makes it there safe and sound today!

• Like 1

Ugh... FedEx...

They lost a package of ours (for work) last week for FOUR DAYS!! Simply because they couldn't be bothered to make sure they delivered to the right address.

Hopefully your tank makes it there safe and sound today!

They're all the same aren't they. They make enough proper deliveries but the incorrect ones are frustrating. I have reservations in place for the service elevator, the loading dock, everything is ready and to deal with this delay and possible no-show? Pulling my hair out.

Thank you Veng.

We did enough till page 10. No more. I will need to shut down this thread if this continues.

Thanks for asking NS.

This is a new build. The livestock from the old tank will get transferred over and after that it will retire. I'm hoping my tank arrives today so I can get working on the plumbing which is my weakest link. I've been with FedEx dispatch several times already trying to get the thing delivered and been given the run around. They're now going to "try" to deliver today. Argh.

What a party pooper!
  • Like 7

And BENNY thought I had too many power switches. Ha.

I'm not sure if I'll use them all or not but I wanted to make sure I had enough incase I ever decide to plumbing a frag tank into it ;)

• Like 1

Thanks for asking NS.

This is a new build. The livestock from the old tank will get transferred over and after that it will retire. I'm hoping my tank arrives today so I can get working on the plumbing which is my weakest link. I've been with FedEx dispatch several times already trying to get the thing delivered and been given the run around. They're now going to "try" to deliver today. Argh.

My post was all 'Tongue-and-cheek', but thanks for the clarification :)

Ben... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

My post was all 'Tongue-and-cheek', but thanks for the clarification :)

Ben... :rolleyes:

My answer was tongue in cheek. Too many Kate cheeks can be distracting. :)

The new skimmer makes your RSM look small.

I'll say! I've never seen anything like it in the home aquarium. Only at the LFS. Zeph has a skimmer 3 times as big so that doesn't count, his system is 500G. I was (still am) quite intimidated by it to be honest. I cam unable to take off the collection cup easily. Need both hands and something to hold down the skimmer too. I might have to open the drain line but that's problematic.

What if I put a ball valve on the drain and only used it to drain the skimmer cup manually?

My answer was tongue in cheek. Too many Kate cheeks can be distracting. :)

I'll say! I've never seen anything like it in the home aquarium. Only at the LFS. Zeph has a skimmer 3 times as big so that doesn't count, his system is 500G. I was (still am) quite intimidated but it to be honest. I cam unable to take off the collection cup easily. Need both hands and something to hold down the skimmer too. I might have to open the drain line but that's problematic.

What if I put a ball valve on the drain and only used it to drain the skimmer cup manually?

Set up a float switch on a collection reservoir (old BRS carbon jug) and have the skimmer cup drain into it. When it gets full the float switch will flip and it will shut the skimmer off.

That's what I would do Kat.

Easier to dump this then mess with taking the skimmer cup off.

DSC_0377_zps63e5aff0.jpg

That's the plan. And then use paper towel to clean the gunk, but some will fall back into the cup or the neck of the skimmer. I suppose that's okay, I'm not afraid of skimmate, in fact it's good for the tank IMO.

Cute skimmer, but it looks small. :)

I vote for Lyretail, a male and a few females. I only have 1 of each but I get to see the male doing his swoop move to keep the girl in line. For some reason I really enjoy that. :mellow: Anyway they do not use my entire tank, usually just one half or the other but rarely swimming all the way across. Another neat thing is the Midas Blenny usually associates with these guys in the wild and there is some interaction between the Blenny and the male Lyretail.

I really do like the float switch idea though, there has been a couple times after adding frags to the tank (jb water weld freaks the skimmer out) where I'd forget to turn the skimmer off for a bit and I'd almost end up with a mess, so I might add a float valve to mine.

Set up a float switch on a collection reservoir (old BRS carbon jug) and have the skimmer cup drain into it. When it gets full the float switch will flip and it will shut the skimmer off.

In a perfect world Indy yes. Adding a float switch means another electrical cord. The simplest float switch which I have installed on my RODI bucket would be better if it weren't as big as it is.

200065-ro-adjustable-float-valve-1-4-inc

jedimasterben

just put a small ball valve and you can remove the cup every 6 months to clean.

The neck of the skimmer should be kept as clean as possible, the more buildup on it the worse it performs. That's where there are skimmer neck cleaners. They do a pretty good job of it.

• Like 2

Cute skimmer, but it looks small. :)

:o Wash your mouth with salt. LOL when I saw this thin I nearly peed my pants. I was afraid I will kill my tank by removing too many nutrients. I may not use it right away, or 24/7 right away.

I vote for Lyretail, a male and a few females. I only have 1 of each but I get to see the male doing his swoop move to keep the girl in line. For some reason I really enjoy that. :mellow: Anyway they do not use my entire tank, usually just one half or the other but rarely swimming all the way across. Another neat thing is the Midas Blenny usually associates with these guys in the wild and there is some interaction between the Blenny and the male Lyretail.

:wub: That sounds just beautiful.

The float valve you have pictured would work for what he's talking about though.

Yes, on a BUCKET. Ain't got room for that in the nook.

HEre was my original storage bench idea for the nook, before I replaced it with the wing chair:

See the storage bench on the right

20140919_221315.jpg

Was going to be one of these with a cushion on top

stuva-storage-bench__0112711_PE264606_S4

And this inside

SDC10909-1.jpg

Hopefully your tank arrives without a scratch! Some people have the worst of luck with shipping tanks...

Fingers crossed Nemo. It's packed well. I posted a picture of it on the pallet a few pages back. The tank weights more than the wood cabinet and sump combined.

• Like 1