ReefCleaners.org

Kat's Birthday Party

metrokat

Hmmmm, I like that idea. I might have to steal that idea from you. When the tank was in my office it was kind of a free for all with stuff like that, now that the tank is in the living room it needs to the g/f's approval stamp and I think that might do the trick.

• Like 2

How are you going to transfer your livestock?

SLLLOOOOWWWWWLLLLLY. I've been planning it my my head for 6 weeks now. But of course actually getting down to it is a whole other thing.

The SPS colonies are the easiest part. It is what to do with the rest of it that is a tough one.

The middle and lower levels in this picture are cemented together. And encrusted over with corals.

Breaking them apart will be crazy and probably only should be done when I have already placed the SPS in a holding bucket or the tank itself

IMG_20111225_170130.jpg

• Like 1

In a perfect world Indy yes. Adding a float switch means another electrical cord. The simplest float switch which I have installed on my RODI bucket would be better if it weren't as big as it is.

200065-ro-adjustable-float-valve-1-4-inc

Don't you have an apex? Just get a breakout box and wire the float switch into it. No added plugs other than the apex plug.
SLLLOOOOWWWWWLLLLLY. I've been planning it my my head for 6 weeks now. But of course actually getting down to it is a whole other thing.

The SPS colonies are the easiest part. It is what to do with the rest of it that is a tough one.

The middle and lower levels in this picture are cemented together. And encrusted over with corals.

Breaking them apart will be crazy and probably only should be done when I have already placed the SPS in a holding bucket or the tank itself

IMG_20111225_170130.jpg

If you used a fair amount of cement you might be able to lift the rocks out all in one go with the help of a friend.

I really do like the float switch idea though, there has been a couple times after adding frags to the tank (jb water weld freaks the skimmer out) where I'd forget to turn the skimmer off for a bit and I'd almost end up with a mess, so I might add a float valve to mine.

That and also, if the skimmer overflows, it could flood the floor bad with all the water in the sump it could pull

I cam unable to take off the collection cup easily. Need both hands and something to hold down the skimmer too. I might have to open the drain line but that's problematic.

What if I put a ball valve on the drain and only used it to drain the skimmer cup manually?

What about one of these bad boys. :) - http://www.avastmarine.com/ssc/do/product/proteinskimmers/Davy-Jones-Skimmate-Locker

Hmmmm, I like that idea. I might have to steal that idea from you. When the tank was in my office it was kind of a free for all with stuff like that, now that the tank is in the living room it needs to the g/f's approval stamp and I think that might do the trick.

Sure thing. I spent a lot of time deciding the look before anything else. This area is an extension of my dining room and needed to be both beautiful, functional and practical.

I started planning it with a lot of storage options

mock-up.jpg

But then I realized that I would much rather have it be a seamless part of my living area

Nook.jpg

:o DAMN YOU

So the tank weighs more than the sump and cabinet combined without any water in it?

It does. 50Long 3/8th glass

• Like 4

Don't you have an apex? Just get a breakout box and wire the float switch into it. No added plugs other than the apex plug.

I do have an Apex, a Jr Apex. With an EB4. And all the outlets are used up. I am considering an EB8 to replace one of the EB4s however, the cabinet is very tight on space already with the EB4. Possible expansions might look decent with a small enclosed shelf/cabinet on top of the electrical cabinet.

I have no electricals planned for the sump cabinet yet..... oh the possibilities. lol.

Possible new SPS addition..... :)

IMG_1138_zpse607415c.jpg

• Like 7

Sure thing. I spent a lot of time deciding the look before anything else. This area is an extension of my dining room and needed to be both beautiful, functional and practical.

I started planning it with a lot of storage options

mock-up.jpg

But then I realized that I would much rather have it be a seamless part of my living area

Nook.jpg

:o DAMN YOU

It does. 50Long 3/8th glass

I like your new setup! Have you thought about getting two more matching cabinets and put them on each side of the tank cabinet? That would give you a buffet look and tons of storage. You might have to change the hinges to articulated ones so the doors swing out and don't rub against each other.

I do have an Apex, a Jr Apex. With an EB4. And all the outlets are used up. I am considering an EB8 to replace one of the EB4s however, the cabinet is very tight on space already with the EB4. Possible expansions might look decent with a small enclosed shelf/cabinet on top of the electrical cabinet.

It would be worth it IMO. A breakout box is cheap and the float switches are also dirt cheap. I have a couple extra I could send you. After I had to tear down my 60g because of a skimmer overflow, I'll always have a float switch and reservoir to avoid overflows. It has already saved my current tank at least 5 times now.

IMG_1138_zpse607415c.jpg

Purdy.

It's here. :)

I'm slowly unpacking after a cursory inspection of the tank at the loading dock. The FedEx freight guy took pity on me and unwrapped, and loaded the pieces on the dolly for me. Mostly because he wanted to show off his muscles to the very pretty security guard that was with me to unlock the service elevator and passageway. They were chatting away in spanish and even though I don't understand it, he totally asked for her number right under my nose. :)

• Like 8

you know, that stand would be a great place to grow some nice orchids

YN7KOyY.png

It's an old plan. The new one has the electrical cabinet but I will put something sweet on it, maybe the model ship I have which I put in the front page video