Top Shelf Aquatics

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

CronicReefer

Hybrid light - NanoBox ATI retrofit - 4 T5 bulbs, 6 LED full spectrum arrays.

I run alk ~8 (trying to raise it a bit), calcium is ~420

Nitrate and phosphate is in the high range. Going to test them today actually.Post a picture of your DD frag

How many hours a day do you run your lights? And what's your belief on keeping phosphates undetectable? I know NSW is 0.005ppm (5ppb) but I see so many people saying they should be at 0.01-0.03ppm (10-30ppb).

How many hours a day do you run your lights? And what's your belief on keeping phosphates undetectable? I know NSW is 0.005ppm (5ppb) but I see so many people saying they should be at 0.01-0.03ppm (10-30ppb).

I like phosphates, I have 2 clams that agree with me. When I upgraded to my current tank, the environment was too clean, I actually dosed phosphate daily to get my corals to stop STNing.

I run the light for ~10 hours. T5s for about 6 hours

• Like 2
CronicReefer

I like phosphates, I have 2 clams that agree with me. When I upgraded to my current tank, the environment was too clean, I actually dosed phosphate daily to get my corals to stop STNing.

I run the light for ~10 hours. T5s for about 6 hours

I wish I could keep clams, I love how well they can filter water and they have gorgeous patterns, but I'm scared my lobster would turn them into dinner. I haven't had an STN issue yet (I assumed since I feed frozen daily it would make some phosphates available but I've always used ExtraxPhos 24/7 to pull them back out). I just remember reading in the past that phosphates are needed for repairing damaged tissue but at elevated levels that it will hinder growth. I was confused on where this 0.01-0.03 number comes from I see always popping up in forums.

Kat out of curiosity.... do you know what your phosphate levels are? I think I've only ever just seen you say you "run a dirty tank" or run them high.....

Better yet, what are all your parameters :) lol

Kat out of curiosity.... do you know what your phosphate levels are? I think I've only ever just seen you say you "run a dirty tank" or run them high.....

Better yet, what are all your parameters :) lol

High phosphates. Posted results in my thread.

LOL, no, not yet.

I am wondering what this will do as I lower nitrates down to 5ish to try and unbrown the rest of the acros.

Dare I say better than the original Katropora...? :o

Great distinct colors on that.

No, better camera. :)

• Like 1

Oh. My Goodness.

How did I miss this thread? That is STUNNING!

Thanks for filling out the form. ;)

LOL, no, not yet.

I am wondering what this will do as I lower nitrates down to 5ish to try and unbrown the rest of the acros.

No, better camera. :)

Mark, you're a wizard!

Dare I say better than the original Katropora...? :o

Great distinct colors on that.

Actually no, that IS how the coral looks in real life. I'm just amazed that Mark captured it perfectly.

• Like 1

god damn mark that green is intense. The green on my kats so dull.

Are you taking top down shots? 400 PAR? Actually might be more like 450. Heavy feeding with 10+ nitrates?

Yep mines so dull. But my tanks been thru alot lately. Idk might jus take some time to come back. I have to get a pic. When i removed it from the rocks i ended up breaking it by accident btw. Just glued it back together. Works pretty well for clean breaks.

Are you taking top down shots? 400 PAR? Actually might be more like 450. Heavy feeding with 10+ nitrates?[/quote

I havent done a too down of the kat in awhile. Before i added the leds i was at 395 so im sure im well past 400 now

Its probably the nutrients. With all my recent issues ive given up on caring so i been experimenting with larger feedings. Well see what happens.

The green on mine is a bit pale but where it is encrusting is much brighter. Still recovering maybe? Too much light, is that possible?

It is otherwise healthy so I am just giving it time and trying to dial my tank in better.

I would also like to note... it is extremely hardy. I managed to kill a green slimer, dig and monti (equipment failure over xmas break) but Katropora just keeps growing.

• Like 1