inTank Media Baskets

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

Katropora update! **Spoiler - I will not be part of the distributor's network anytime soon. ;)

November - brand new frag...

Late November - crashed my tank and the Kat turned brown. :blush:

February - the Kat survived my tank's mini-crash, starting encrusting and turned bright green!

Today - I'm still waiting for it to grow up and out, but the Kat wants to encrust… It's pretty lumpy too where it is encrusting onto the rock so maybe it's going to grow out from some new spot and not from the original frag. And it's still neon green.

Nice recovery TigerLily, I did the same thing. It's a survivor for sure. I'm getting good top growth again, 6 to 7 months later so hang in there!

• Like 1

Katropora update! **Spoiler - I will not be part of the distributor's network anytime soon. ;)

November - brand new frag...

15557686247_d4692c7c13_c.jpg

Late November - crashed my tank and the Kat turned brown. :blush:

16064525565_a045187e60_c.jpg

February - the Kat survived my tank's mini-crash, starting encrusting and turned bright green!

16458507481_80195ff5e6_c.jpg

Today - I'm still waiting for it to grow up and out, but the Kat wants to encrust… It's pretty lumpy too where it is encrusting onto the rock so maybe it's going to grow out from some new spot and not from the original frag. And it's still neon green.

19441852346_65d65d5f5d_c.jpg

19467909875_fb9260b93b_c.jpg

Nice pictures!! It seems when it browns out and comes back, it's a more brilliant green than the original frag. Happened to one of my 2 colonies also
  • Like 4

Top Down

Closeup from the front.

Your Kat looks great! I can't wait to get the purple back too. I will keep hoping...

• Like 3

Lily glad your Kat survived the crash. Looks like it's well on its way to being incredible!

Ooh my. Kat, am I close to getting a frag of this?! It feels like I have been waiting years! Hahaha!

• Like 2

Your Kat looks great! I can't wait to get the purple back too. I will keep hoping...

My Darth Kat (the one that browned and is now a brilliant green) has the purple back, not too much like the original but certainly getting there.

Brown

20150303_153531.jpg

Brilliant

20150303_152827.jpg

Dark but purple coming in

IMG_1942.JPG

• Like 9

Kat update:

2 month growth. Almost on the the rock! (this is actually a photo of my rabbitfish, but my camera won't accurately produce colors on the kat unless its out of focus... so... yeah...)

19339843300_4dbb068d42_c.jpg

• Like 3

Kat update:

2 month growth. Almost on the the rock! (this is actually a photo of my rabbitfish, but my camera won't accurately produce colors on the kat unless its out of focus... so... yeah...)

19339843300_4dbb068d42_c.jpg

The colors are fantastic!!! What are your parameters? and What light is it under?

The colors are fantastic!!! What are your parameters? and What light is it under?

Thanks! TBH, I'll need to get back to you on parameters. I only know my calc, mag, and alk (which are all the standard reccommended stuff for reef tanks albeit on the high end, calc at 450 mag at 1400 ... alk is 7.5 dKH, pH bounces between 7.9 to 8.3 over the course of day and night) Everything else I don't really check for... I feed heavy though. the auto feeder goes off at 8 am and 6 pm and then I also toss in a cube of mysis or roe or something else and seadweed for the rabbit. My theory is that I have dirty water that is at the same time clean thanks to my badass skimmer. lol

The lighting are two AI SOL Blue units that max out at b 70% rb 70% and wh 65% (or right in there, I adjusted it up a couple degrees not that long ago, might be 75,75,70) They sit 12 inches above the water line, the tank is 17 inches deep so approximately 2 ft or so from the kat. The light cycle follows the seasonal charts on the apex and so does the temp.

• Like 2

Was chatting with someone on facebook last night. His tank crashed while he was on vacation, lost 5-6K in corals, massive chalices, Walt Disney Tenuis and more cush corals. And I was just floored, he said the Katropora was his favorite coral out of the whole tank, he had a colony growing by now which also crashed. He said he didn't care for those other corals, he wanted another piece of the Kat.

Chuck, if you're reading, fill out that form yo! :flower:

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

Okie guys.

I'll be home for roughly 3 days, which isn't enough time to clip, heal, package, and ship frags. I will not offer an arrive alive on fresh cut frags as the risk of coral death due to the stress is too high (especially with it being summer). That being said, I'll likely give some local reefers some frags.

I'm not gonna frag my kat colony and gain nothing out of it just to ship some frags.

• Like 1

Okie guys.

I'll be home for roughly 3 days, which isn't enough time to clip, heal, package, and ship frags. I will not offer an arrive alive on fresh cut frags as the risk of coral death due to the stress is too high (especially with it being summer). That being said, I'll likely give some local reefers some frags.

I'm not gonna frag my kat colony and gain nothing out of it just to ship some frags.

Quit with the being logical crap, will ya? :P