ReefCleaners.org

Katropora Owners Thread

metrokat

• 3 weeks later...

I used to have awesome PE on the Kat, but the last two weeks or so, very little PE by comparison. Everyone else is happy, the kittiyagi is loving it and is in almost the same spot as the kat. Ideas? Nothing has changed in the tank except it has had no fish for the last 5 weeks (ich outbreak). Is it maybe too clean atm? Coloring is still good.

Does it have PE at night? My colonies have minimal daytime PE but are out and about after dark. Bat girl polyps.

So how do I get on this waitlist??

Hey Stella, there is a link to the document on the first post.

• Like 1
jedimasterben

I used to have awesome PE on the Kat, but the last two weeks or so, very little PE by comparison. Everyone else is happy, the kittiyagi is loving it and is in almost the same spot as the kat. Ideas? Nothing has changed in the tank except it has had no fish for the last 5 weeks (ich outbreak). Is it maybe too clean atm? Coloring is still good.

Are you feeding the tank like you were before?

Does it have PE at night? My colonies have minimal daytime PE but are out and about after dark. Bat girl polyps.

Nothing extra at night. Pretty consistent with daytime PE.

Are you feeding the tank like you were before?

Yes and no. I am ghost feeding a large amount once a day about every other day with a different dry food. When the fish were in the tank, I would feed once with frozen, once with the AFS using Neptune's food and then have Nori in the tank for my rabbit. So the tank is still being fed, but not in the same massive quantity its used to. I did not want to overfeed with there being no fish, but I don't want to shock the system when it goes from 0 to 10 in two weeks.
jedimasterben

Yes and no. I am ghost feeding once a day about every other day with a different dry food. When the fish were in the tank, I would feed once with frozen, once with the AFS using Neptune's food and then have Nori in the tank for my rabbit. So the tank is still being fed, but not in the same massive quantity its used to. I did not want to overfeed with there being no fish, but I don't want to shock the system when it goes from 0 to 10 in two weeks.

What do fish have to do with 'overfeeding'? Fish really don't do anything for nutrient levels. You could put one fish or a thousand fish in the tank and both will have the same 'bioload' if you feed the same amount of food.

If you don't have the same level of nutrient import as you used to and your filtration is still exporting the same amount, then you have a deficit.

What do fish have to do with 'overfeeding'? Fish really don't do anything for nutrient levels. You could put one fish or a thousand fish in the tank and both will have the same 'bioload' if you feed the same amount of food.

Uneaten food that my fish would normally eat but are not there to consume? I am assuming they are somewhat efficient at digestion and so what comes out is not the same amount as what goes in... unless you're an herbivore but that was only my rabbitfish and tang and theyd swim around to eat their poop. Just like other herbivores...

jedimasterben

Uneaten food that my fish would normally eat but are not there to consume? I am assuming they are somewhat efficient at digestion and so what comes out is not the same amount as what goes in... unless you're an herbivore but that was only my rabbitfish and tang and theyd swim around to eat their poop. Just like other herbivores...

Fish are really inefficient at taking nutrients from what they eat, herbivores especially so (you can watch them eat some hair algae and then a short while later you'll see it come flying out of their butt lol), but it depends on the fish species, individual fish, type of food fed, nutrient content, etc. For all intents and purposes, we can assume that nutrients entering the tank will be the nearly the same for export calculations.

• Like 1

Fish are really inefficient at taking nutrients from what they eat, herbivores especially so (you can watch them eat some hair algae and then a short while later you'll see it come flying out of their butt lol), but it depends on the fish species, individual fish, type of food fed, nutrient content, etc. For all intents and purposes, we can assume that nutrients entering the tank will be the nearly the same for export calculations.

Intersting.

1. it doesn't surprise me that a coral in your tank would have Bat Girl polyps. Why wouldn't they have superhero properties?

2. Very fancy with the submission form! I'm impressed. Submitted! Thanks Kat.

• 2 weeks later...
TheKleinReef

I'm planning a trip home in late July!

Searching for flights now.

I should be able to make anywhere from 5-10 small frags. I'll be home for a little over a week, so they'll have a week of heal time as well.

• Like 4

Basser, you asked to be removed from the list. :(

Well, call me Mr. Impatient. Decided to go a different way.

So I am asking my name be removed from the list. At least y'all get to move up 1 slot!!

I'm planning a trip home in late July!

Searching for flights now.

I should be able to make anywhere from 5-10 small frags. I'll be home for a little over a week, so they'll have a week of heal time as well.

15802224003_df8ce5b4a7_t.jpg

I will patiently wait my turn, but now that I know my nanobox is coloring up my teeny unidentified acro frag, I'm excited to maybe, hopefully, one day, get a piece!