Coral Vue Hydros

AI prime wifi LED

reefernanoman

porkchop-rob

The hard decision for me is between this light and the Nanobox.....

I am so conflicted.....but I will probably buy the AI, because I can go into the store and look at it and compare it before I buy.

TheKingInYellow

Response from Justin at AI:

"Yes, you will be able to control the Prime directly from your ios/android device and have full control. From here you will be able to create sunrise/sunset, weather etc from your device and will save the settings within the Prime itself."

Just asked about Apex support too.

• Like 2
porkchop-rob

Response from Justin at AI:

"Yes, you will be able to control the Prime directly from your ios/android device and have full control. From here you will be able to create sunrise/sunset, weather etc from your device and will save the settings within the Prime itself."

Just asked about Apex support too.

Only way it makes sense.

I hope this light is as amazing as its seems like its gonna be.

reefernanoman

I am so conflicted.....but I will probably buy the AI, because I can go into the store and look at it and compare it before I buy.

Well there are countless tanks right here on NR that look absolutely stonishing with Nanobox! Furthermore, all the light gurus agree that NB is the current king of the hill. Those two facts have made me a future nanobot.

Well there are countless tanks right here on NR that look absolutely stonishing with Nanobox! Furthermore, all the light gurus agree that NB is the current king of the hill. Those two facts have made me a future nanobot.

You cannot go wrong with the Nano Box. I love my Tide! Amazing fit and finish! Great light overall! My tank looks great! Nice shimmer without being overpowering. You also cannot beat the customer service from Dave. I had a hard time deciding on a light for my Fusion 10 but I am very happy that I chose the Nano Box in the end. I am looking forward to my Blue Fish Mini that should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

Don't forget...It is Made in The USA by Dave!

• Like 1
porkchop-rob

You cannot go wrong with the Nano Box. I love my Tide! Amazing fit and finish! Great light overall! My tank looks great! Nice shimmer without being overpowering.....Don't forget...It is Made in The USA by Dave!

I totally get this, but the AI has set a price point that SEEMS very hard to beat with this Prime!

TheKingInYellow

Yeah and since my controller won't work natively with the Nanobox, I'm looking at at *least* $150 more to go Nanobox, and that only gets me a Tide w/ Storm which might not be enough light for the DB18.

The Prime at $229 is really, really hard to beat even if the array is lacking slightly.

(Canadian pricing, $229 versus $300USD + $25USD shipping at roughly 80 cents on the Dollar = $415CDN)

• Like 1
reefernanoman

Yeah and since my controller won't work natively with the Nanobox, I'm looking at at *least* $150 more to go Nanobox, and that only gets me a Tide w/ Storm which might not be enough light for the DB18.

The Prime at $229 is really, really hard to beat even if the array is lacking slightly.

(Canadian pricing, $229 versus $300USD + $25USD shipping at roughly 80 cents on the Dollar = $415CDN)

Yeah I see your point.

So has anyone received their prime yet? I got the email from AI last week. My PayPal was charged....still no prime wtf?i think I pre ordered this right after MANCA. I had forgotten about it till I saw this thread. This better be a nice light. AI / Ecotech really dropped the ball on this one.

reefernanoman

So has anyone received their prime yet? I got the email from AI last week. My PayPal was charged....still no prime wtf?i think I pre ordered this right after MANCA. I had forgotten about it till I saw this thread. This better be a nice light. AI / Ecotech really dropped the ball on this one.

I guess that you are taking a chance with Ecotech? I know that it's AI, but they are both the same company now no? Well I hope you like your light and good luck.

I have a question for Dave, or anyone else.

Since most "light gurus" agree that NB is the current king of the hill in LED nano lights, why is it that ecotech, AI, and Maxspects lights all come with 80-120 degree lenses for the LEDS, and NB does not. Units such as the xr-15wpro and the new prime have ndividual bubble spots for each LED to penetrate the lenses. The NB doesent seem to have anything like that.

Don't get me wrong the Nanobox stuff looks amazing but I don't think I can justify that price difference.

When the dollar is closer to par I may grab one...

jedimasterben

I have a question for Dave, or anyone else.

Since most "light gurus" agree that NB is the current king of the hill in LED nano lights, why is it that ecotech, AI, and Maxspects lights all come with 80-120 degree lenses for the LEDS, and NB does not. Units such as the xr-15wpro and the new prime have ndividual bubble spots for each LED to penetrate the lenses. The NB doesent seem to have anything like that.

Because lenses can compound the problems with LEDs. Removing the lenses spread the light out more, more light in more places is more better for coral.

• Like 1
TheKingInYellow

When the dollar is closer to par I may grab one...

Yeah, getting 80 cents on the dollar is brutal. I put in my AI Prime order. Once it was clear I'd need a Duo I just couldn't do it.

• Like 2

Because lenses can compound the problems with LEDs. Removing the lenses spread the light out more, more light in more places is more better for coral.

But I thought one of the issues with LEDs is that it is a direct beam of light, so it doesent spread very well and has high PAR where that light beam hits and low elsewhere. Is that not true?

jedimasterben

But I thought one of the issues with LEDs is that it is a direct beam of light, so it doesent spread very well and has high PAR where that light beam hits and low elsewhere. Is that not true?

That is true - and lenses compound that issue. Lenses focus light only, they cannot spread it out.

That is true - and lenses compound that issue. Lenses focus light only, they cannot spread it out.

If a lens cannot spread the light then why does Ecotech make an 80 degree and 120 degree optic and they state that supposedly you get more spread with the 120 vs the 80? Just right there shows that it spreads the light out more depending on the lens. I am not trying to argue with you, im just trying to understand, but its not making sense.

jedimasterben

If a lens cannot spread the light then why does Ecotech make an 80 degree and 120 degree optic and they state that supposedly you get more spread with the 120 vs the 80? Just right there shows that it spreads the light out more depending on the lens. I am not trying to argue with you, im just trying to understand, but its not making sense.

It's not necessarily that 120 gets you more, it's that 80 gives you less. The primary lens of an LED is typically 110-140 degrees depending on the chip.

Also, you should never have to justify asking more questions, it's all good :)

It's not necessarily that 120 gets you more, it's that 80 gives you less. The primary lens of an LED is typically 110-140 degrees depending on the chip.

Also, you should never have to justify asking more questions, it's all good :)

alright. So the NB does not come with a lens? And thats better than all these other high end LED companies

jedimasterben

alright. So the NB does not come with a lens? And thats better than all these other high end LED companies

Correct, Dave does not use any lenses. For taller tanks that means that it takes more power to get the same punch, but tall tanks need special lighting consideration anyway :)

• Like 1

Correct, Dave does not use any lenses. For taller tanks that means that it takes more power to get the same punch, but tall tanks need special lighting consideration anyway :)

Alright thanks for your help jedimasterben

• Like 1

Alright thanks for your help jedimasterben

Look at it this way. The Radion XR30W is $650. The nanobox quad is $650. Radion has 38 LEDs. Nanobox has 52 LEDs. Radion puts out more PAR under the LEDs @ 800-900 at full blast while the Nanobox will put out ~500. On a 24" cube the nanobox will have far and away better coverage throughout the tank than the Radion. Will you ever want to put 800 PAR on your corals? No, so the increased PAR of the Radion is actually useless for most people's application. You are effectively paying more for increased PAR that you will never use.

Add on top of that the RMS mount for the Radion which is highway robbery at $99 and it's an even better deal. Then add that now you get wireless control with the Nanobox via bluefish mini while the Radion requires another $99 for a reeflink and you end up quite ahead.

The XR30W also has 8 LEDs which are quite useless in the form of hyper red and green.

• Like 3