SaltCritters.com

Plainrt's shallow 80 deep blue rimless mixed reef

plainrt

Iphone5 lol.

:lol: I'm not saying that is a bad thing, necessarily, just something you gotta take into account. :)

Lol I like that info there. Dang jerks at Ati with misleading info. But yeah I could care less if shorter lifespan :)

• Like 2

Some of other acans and dendros still growing. Not too bad for tank with a few sps.1D83B48E-63D0-43A2-8B51-BAA463A9D48D_zps8AAE74C2-6339-47A0-97DF-D7D46FCE37FE_zps

What don't you have in this tank? I just spotted a toadstool.
  • Like 2

Ummmmm hmmmmm I'm not sure. It's too the point there nothing I really want. Oh wait I'm still waiting to find really nice hammer or torch. That damn neon toadstool is from where I cut off large one when I changed up tank from softy tank to what it is now.

• Like 1

According to Sylvania, the manufacturer of ATI lamps, dimming is NOT recommended and does significantly shorten phosphor lifespan. ATI, KZ, etc can say all they want about how it doesn't affect the phosphor life, but they do not manufacture the lamps.

Dimming will significantly shorten the lifespan when the bulbs are NOT burned in properly. The burn in period allows the phosphors and mercury to properly distribute throughout the tube (dimming the bulbs prematurely will disrupt this process and result in shorter phosphor lifespan). When following this method on my old dimmable sunpower my bulbs ran their intended cycle which I was able to confirm with a PAR meter. If the bulbs had been affected negatively I would have measured significantly lower PAR values during that period and would have likely had to replace them after 3-4 months.

• Like 1

Dimming will significantly shorten the lifespan when the bulbs are NOT burned in properly. The burn in period allows the phosphors and mercury to properly distribute throughout the tube (dimming the bulbs prematurely will disrupt this process and result in shorter phosphor lifespan). When following this method on my old dimmable sunpower my bulbs ran their intended cycle which I was able to confirm with a PAR meter. If the bulbs had been affected negatively I would have measured significantly lower PAR values during that period and would have likely had to replace them after 3-4 months.

I have checked my bulbs before and didn't notice anything crazy. I'll get meter more often and check them. I think some of mine are like 7 months old now. Gotta look at dates on them someday.

C3887563-E67E-4FFE-815E-DB08484F9AFC_zps

7F774110-A9B7-4821-B8B6-CB48DF7F7CB4_zps

LOVE these two photos! All the different colors and textures from the different SPS corals in the first picture are just awesome! Beautiful fish!

• Like 2
jedimasterben

PAR is not the determining factor of lamp replacement, it is the phosphor degradation, it takes many more months than most replace at (12 months) for there to be a noticeable change in output. Each strike literally burns phosphor off of the cathode, and dimming the lamps somehow increases this regardless of the number of strikes previous to the dimming, even using a proper programmed start ballast.

Unfortunately I can't find my email from Sylvania explaining it, they did a much better job than I did. :)

• Like 1

Thanks. Long nose Hawks are great fish IMO. I love that side view but it's hard to get decent pics of it. Those two turned out ok. I love when local reefers see my tank in person cause the colors always tend to wow them. I had family stop over yesterday that runs t5s over their own tank and they said they have never seen colors like my tank. To hear that from people that aren't new to the hobby made my day. :)

• Like 3

I have checked my bulbs before and didn't notice anything crazy. I'll get meter more often and check them. I think some of mine are like 7 months old now. Gotta look at dates on them someday.

My bulbs are 6 months old changing them tomorrow.
  • Like 1

good god man.. nice tank. where the hell have i been.. shiz is amazing

Lmao thanks. I think not being one of cool kids here it gets overlooked. Or it just sucks. One of the two lol ;) Looking at your tank really makes me miss the option of having big fish. That's what I love about big tanks.

• Like 1

do you run a top on this tank?

I do run a screen top. My clowns jump a lot and the yellow wrasse tends to time to time. Other day he bounced off my head and landed back in tank lol.Frame is painted silver so doesn't look so horrible on rimless. When I'm sitting around just watching tank I'll keep top off.

• Like 1

I do run a screen top. My clowns jump a lot and the yellow wrasse tends to time to time. Other day he bounced off my head and landed back in tank lol.Frame is painted silver so doesn't look so horrible on rimless. When I'm sitting around just watching tank I'll keep top off.

DIY screen top? also, does the tank come with the back blacked out or did you add that yourself? sorry for all the noob questions but you and steensj have inspired me to start a similar build in the near future =)

• Like 1

PAR is not the only determining factor of lamp replacement, it is the phosphor degradation, it takes many more months than most replace at (12 months) for there to be a noticeable change in output. Each strike literally burns phosphor off of the cathode, and dimming the lamps somehow increases this regardless of the number of strikes previous to the dimming, even using a proper programmed start ballast.

Unfortunately I can't find my email from Sylvania explaining it, they did a much better job than I did. :)

Thats true but a typical sign of phosphor degradation is a noticeable shift in spectrum (typically towards the blue end) I personally never witnessed this shift when using this fixture and I doubt any reefer who replaces their bulbs every 6-8 months ever would.

• Like 2

DIY screen top? also, does the tank come with the back blacked out or did you add that yourself? sorry for all the noob questions but you and steensj have inspired me to start a similar build in the near future =)

Yeah it's diy screen top with brs clear mesh. I painted the back with krylon fusion. Great tanks for the little money. And no problem with ?s. I'm glad to help if I can.

• Like 1

Lmao thanks. I think not being one of cool kids here it gets overlooked. Or it just sucks. One of the two lol ;) Looking at your tank really makes me miss the option of having big fish. That's what I love about big tanks.

Well only 18 pages in a year... post moar polyps moar often.

• Like 2

Yeah it's diy screen top with brs clear mesh. I painted the back with krylon fusion. Great tanks for the little money. And no problem with ?s. I'm glad to help if I can.

cool. i may make mine into a peninsula tank so it's good to know the back doesn't come painted.

it's so hard to find pics of this tank. if you know of other build threads besides steensjs and ngh, let me know =).

cool. i may make mine into a peninsula tank so it's good to know the back doesn't come painted.

it's so hard to find pics of this tank. if you know of other build threads besides steensjs and ngh, let me know =).

Cool. Are you gonna do something different for overflow if do peninsula?

Lol. Local stopped over Friday and was trying really hard to get them......

I've got some time to work on ya. I don't give up. That's your warning .... ;)

• Like 1
jedimasterben

Thats true but a typical sign of phosphor degradation is a noticeable shift in spectrum (typically towards the blue end) I personally never witnessed this shift when using this fixture and I doubt any reefer who replaces their bulbs every 6-8 months ever would.

Right, and that is the typical change point when dimming, otherwise can put about 9-12 months on them. :)

• Like 1