Top Shelf Aquatics

12G Long Nano Reef - Tank Crash & Recovery!!

MrNanoReef

• 4 weeks later...
Michael_Price

How is all your coral doing with the orbit marine you have? I don't see a lot of people running it. But looks like you have had yours a while!

I just got the Orbit Marine Pro and I'm hoping it will be all I need for Softies. Not really planning on SPS corals as the water parameters are a bit more demanding.

• Like 1

How is all your coral doing with the orbit marine you have? I don't see a lot of people running it. But looks like you have had yours a while!

I just got the Orbit Marine Pro and I'm hoping it will be all I need for Softies. Not really planning on SPS corals as the water parameters are a bit more demanding.

It's actually doing very good for my corals. I have a mixed reef with some SPSs, they all seems to be doing great and mine is the standard version. The Pro version should be able to handle SPSs much better since it is more powerful, it really depend on placement of your corals, higher up is better for SPS that needs more light. For softies and LPS, it should be no problem.

Michael_Price

It's actually doing very good for my corals. I have a mixed reef with some SPSs, they all seems to be doing great and mine is the standard version. The Pro version should be able to handle SPSs much better since it is more powerful, it really depend on placement of your corals, higher up is better for SPS that needs more light. For softies and LPS, it should be no problem.

Thats very good to hear! Your build is one of the main reasons I decided to pull the trigger on it. It just looks so sleek on long tanks vs overhead hanging lights. I have the Nuvo 30L, and since its only 13 inches to the sand bed we really don't need super intense light setups I feel on these shallow tanks. Are you still running 100% Blue and 70% White? I have mine on preset 3 right now (For coral growth) but I'm going to mess with the settings and make a custom schedule tomorrow. How many hours are you running yours?

• Like 1

Thats very good to hear! Your build is one of the main reasons I decided to pull the trigger on it. It just looks so sleek on long tanks vs overhead hanging lights. I have the Nuvo 30L, and since its only 13 inches to the sand bed we really don't need super intense light setups I feel on these shallow tanks. Are you still running 100% Blue and 70% White? I have mine on preset 3 right now (For coral growth) but I'm going to mess with the settings and make a custom schedule tomorrow. How many hours are you running yours?

I'm glad to hear that! I too dislike the hanging style light on this tank, but in general I really prefer a light that mounts on the tank. I have it at 100% blue/60% white, I upped it to 70% and even 100% white at time but things start to bleach out so I turned it back down, perhaps too much for this tank being so shallow. My light schedule is 30min sunrise/sunset, 7 hours of daylight, 3 hours with blue only at 100% for viewing purpose and that's what has been keeping me up at night :lol:

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

BIG tank update!

I know it's due time and a lot of people are wondering how my tank is doing. Enjoy!

Early morning, day, and night shot after a water change. Tank is a little over 2 years old. Some corals died here and there and new ones were added, I realized it's just part of the fun, just like life!!! One thing I learned of my ongoing successful in keeping this 12g nano reef has been growing macros in the custom mini sump on the back.

32373761515_c636eac9f2_b.jpg

32223647682_9800ae0f41_b.jpg

31562747573_9fa3286f23_b.jpg

32373761845_42f64a5aa9_b.jpg

32373761345_9008a3ec45_b.jpg

New goni pack

32223648842_cb9c88338d_b.jpg

32373761125_8ae992d668_b.jpg

My preee..cious!! :lol:

32223648202_0d2c68cdf1_b.jpg

32223648392_7357ca3ac3_b.jpg

32373760895_bc08aa0998_b.jpg

32373760745_f14f47c528_b.jpg

32223648752_c1253b465b_b.jpg

31996578220_b42a920fcf_b.jpg

32373760595_7778941bb0_b.jpg

• Like 6

Looks good as always, can we get a couple good pics of how you have things arranged in your Overflow and in the Back POB as well?

Corner Frag rack is sweet!

Thanks man! Believe me you don't want to see that right now, it's a mess back there with ghetto LEDs light, all will be clean up eventually, just don't have the time to mess with it yet. Eventually I plan on making a 36" custom cover sit on the rear part of the tank and hide the overflow and everything behind the tank. Stay tuned.

• Like 1

Wow, it looks fantastic!

Thanks! I still have a bird nest bleached and became really thin, not sure why? It's a bird of paradise frag that I really love to nurture back into shape. Any luck with yours?

• Like 1

Thanks! I still have a bird nest bleached and became really thin, not sure why? It's a bird of paradise frag that I really love to nurture back into shape. Any luck with yours?

Hmm, mine is doing fine, and those have always been frags that are pretty hard to kill even for me. I'd say try it in another location if you can.

• Like 1

Hi Phuong

Any progress on your small tank project .

Hi Martin

The tank progress is still being documented but the details on the filtration design will not be released at the moment due to copycats bastard lol.

• Like 1

I thought that might be an issue .That sucks that a good guy like you can't even show new work because of them.

Let me know when you do reveal the project. I may not buy right away I may be moving but I am interested.

• Like 1

Tank is looking awesome! I do agree, that a large amount of macro in a sump really does make a difference. Which macro do you have in your sump? Is that a type of Caulerpa? If so I wouldn't mind buying some. :D

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Is this real? they asked :lol:

32748961346_200cc4dac6_b.jpg

Tank is looking awesome! I do agree, that a large amount of macro in a sump really does make a difference. Which macro do you have in your sump? Is that a type of Caulerpa? If so I wouldn't mind buying some. :D

I think its grape caulerpa but not I was never great with names lol

Wow Phuong tank looks great! Nice mix of coral/colors! Told u I wannabe like you when I grow up (or Teeny)!! Lol

Thanks Marc! There has been a lot of ups and downs but im keeping up. Let's see some action with your tank already...jeez!! ;)

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...