Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Nano Box Settings : Share your settings for your Storm controller

DaveFason

you may want to knock it down to something like 120 blue: 60 white

Bumped it down to 160 blue: 80 white. Fingers crossed to hoping that it's enough. Nothing else bleached though. :D

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...
Spiderguardnano

Was hoping you guys could help me out how to program my lights

i want to run 10% blues from 6-8pm then lights off

i have sunrise at 9 and sunset at 6pm

thanks guys

Spiderguardnano

The Storm doesn't do different time ramps/ranges like that on one channel.

thanks for the reply so as far as the night setting should i just run like 1% the whole night till sunrise or just not even use it

My NanoBox Duo will be coming soon and have questions regarding the settings...
First, I have the 16g Nuvo and I've been using the stock LED's for over a year. I have a few LPS, a few mushrooms, and a bunch of zoas (once my new light is dialed in, I plan on RFA and a SPS frag). When I first install the NanoBox, what's a good starting point for the settings to ensure I don't shock my corals too much in the beginning? I'll be using the gooseneck mount, so the light's height above the tank won't be adjustable and will be fairly low (5" above the tank). Also, how long should I wait before ramping up the intensity - if all looks good after 3 days (or a week, or longer?), am I safe to increase the power?

Could someone please explain the frequencies for the cloud and lightening settings? If it's set to a frequency of 2, does than mean 2 lightening storms happen per day, or 2 clouds roll by per day? If I'm understanding that right, do they happen at the same times each day or are the times different/random?

Also, my Duo is coming with the Bluefish controller, so am I looking at apples and oranges when I browse the settings posted in this thread? Meaning, if someone has their Storm controller set to 140 blues, and 90 whites, will those power numbers have the same impact if they were used on the Bluefish controller (or is 140 blues on the Storm, more like 180 blues (for example) on the Bluefish, etc.)? Is there a Bluefish settings thread that I'm missing?
jedimasterben

My NanoBox Duo will be coming soon and have questions regarding the settings...
First, I have the 16g Nuvo and I've been using the stock LED's for over a year. I have a few LPS, a few mushrooms, and a bunch of zoas (once my new light is dialed in, I plan on RFA and a SPS frag). When I first install the NanoBox, what's a good starting point for the settings to ensure I don't shock my corals too much in the beginning?
If you don't have or have access to a PAR meter, then start with low intensity peak (around 25%, which is 64/255 and 1024/4096 for the Storm and Storm X, respectively) and raise it by around 5% (13/255 and 206/4096 respectively) every week or every other week, do NOT go faster than this unless you have a PAR meter and are verifying the intensity! If you notice during this time that your corals are open much more than before, then you are giving too little light, raise it immediately by 5% and observe. As you bring intensity up, continue to observe the effects - if corals begin to close up at the peak or if you see any of them lighten, immediately back it back down by 10-15% (or whatever intensity you began to notice the change). This is now your new maximum intensity.

Could someone please explain the frequencies for the cloud and lightening settings? If it's set to a frequency of 2, does than mean 2 lightening storms happen per day, or 2 clouds roll by per day? If I'm understanding that right, do they happen at the same times each day or are the times different/random?
Also, my Duo is coming with the Bluefish controller, so am I looking at apples and oranges when I browse the settings posted in this thread? Meaning, if someone has their Storm controller set to 140 blues, and 90 whites, will those power numbers have the same impact if they were used on the Bluefish controller (or is 140 blues on the Storm, more like 180 blues (for example) on the Bluefish, etc.)? Is there a Bluefish settings thread that I'm missing?

This thread deals almost solely with the Storm controller, so everything you see above about intensity only pay attention to the %, teh controller calculates the rest for you. See this thread for more information about the Bluefish controller settings: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/345492-bluefish-controller-user-manual/

Spiderguardnano

ok guys so still a little confused but this time on the sunrise and sunset settings

i set it up for sunrise for 9 and sunset at 18:00 on the manual settings

when i exit out of the settings and go back to sunrise and sunset setting it changes back to 6:00 sunrise and 20:00 sunset on auto

im i doing something wrong?

thanks guys

• 2 weeks later...

I dont want to take much of Y'alls time asking this question so i'll be brief..

I will be ordering my first NanoBox Mini Tide this week and was reading this thread about controller settings. Do I have the option to order a bluefish instead of a Storm controller and what would be the benefit if any?

I dont want to take much of Y'alls time asking this question so i'll be brief..

I will be ordering my first NanoBox Mini Tide this week and was reading this thread about controller settings. Do I have the option to order a bluefish instead of a Storm controller and what would be the benefit if any?

you can definitely have Dave upgrade to the bluefish. I am the set it and forget it type, so the bluefish isn't really for me. But if you want to be able to play around with your lights via your phone, then the bluefish is a good option. I believe bluefish has plans to expand into a full aquarium controller.

Apex jr + storm x is my personal preference for controlling my tanks.

Hey Brad, I tried plugging my duo into the apex jr and it wouldn't turn on..is this due to the voltage exceeding the capacity of the apex?

Hey Brad, I tried plugging my duo into the apex jr and it wouldn't turn on..is this due to the voltage exceeding the capacity of the apex?

Plugging into what?

Where did you plug in to? The variable output plugs are 0-10v, not pwm. You have to have some sort of converter to connect to the apex. And based on my experience with converters and the apex, you're better off using a separate controller like a storm.

I see, and Dave I plugged it into the outlet of the Apex Jr. just to see what type of control I could have with it and the light wouldn't turn on with it. I see what you're saying Elmo, I just had an extra outlet and figured I might as well try :happy:

On the other hand, I set my night settings to 1 on the controller, pressed it about 20 times then exit setup and the lights are off? :(

I see, and Dave I plugged it into the outlet of the Apex Jr. just to see what type of control I could have with it and the light wouldn't turn on with it. I see what you're saying Elmo, I just had an extra outlet and figured I might as well try :happy:

On the other hand, I set my night settings to 1 on the controller, pressed it about 20 times then exit setup and the lights are off? :(

MoonPhase on?

If you don't have or have access to a PAR meter, then start with low intensity peak (around 25%, which is 64/255 and 1024/4096 for the Storm and Storm X, respectively) and raise it by around 5% (13/255 and 206/4096 respectively) every week or every other week, do NOT go faster than this unless you have a PAR meter and are verifying the intensity! If you notice during this time that your corals are open much more than before, then you are giving too little light, raise it immediately by 5% and observe. As you bring intensity up, continue to observe the effects - if corals begin to close up at the peak or if you see any of them lighten, immediately back it back down by 10-15% (or whatever intensity you began to notice the change). This is now your new maximum intensity.

This thread deals almost solely with the Storm controller, so everything you see above about intensity only pay attention to the %, teh controller calculates the rest for you. See this thread for more information about the Bluefish controller settings: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/345492-bluefish-controller-user-manual/

Thanks again for this information. What percentage do you suggest I get to before I can add a RFA? Again, my Duo is over a 16g Nuvo.

Archived