Innovative Marine Aquariums

Nano Box Settings : Share your settings for your Storm controller

DaveFason

jedimasterben

If you have manual control, you can't use the Storm controllers, as that means your drivers are 0-10v analog, not 5v PWM. You'd need new drivers like LDD or A6211, and at that point can dim much lower than the ~10% you're dimming to now. For your small setup, though, you'd probably want to use a single LED as a moonlight on its own driver.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure which potentiometer you are referring to storm controller has a rotary encoder and not a potentiometer. But the storm controller is capable of dimming all the way off.

If you have manual control, you can't use the Storm controllers, as that means your drivers are 0-10v analog, not 5v PWM. You'd need new drivers like LDD or A6211, and at that point can dim much lower than the ~10% you're dimming to now. For your small setup, though, you'd probably want to use a single LED as a moonlight on its own driver.

Ahh yes you are correct. I think I was confusing what I read on the bluefish with this controller. The bluefish accepts 0-10V correct? Here's my driver unit.

15408484290_cc73299b4c_c.jpg20141021_113136 by Justind823, on Flickr

I'll probably just get the ALC for my RKL if I can find a used one. Thanks for your help!

As has been repeated in this and other threads, starting low and slow is the best option :)

First what you want to do is find what color light looks best to you. Set both channels to 255/255 (full on), and then adjust the white or blue channel up or down to find what is most pleasing to your eyes. This is the ratio that you will aim for. Let's say that you end up with white at 180 and blue at 255.

So, for instance, you'll want your ramp to start at 9AM, do the maximum ramp time of 180 minutes, and set your max intensity to around 35% of the numbers listed above as your maximum preferred color, then the ramp down for the same 180 mins and the end time to be 9PM (or, say, if you work during the day and are at home in the evenings and don't go to be until late, you can set your photoperiod accordingly, mine is from around 11-11 since I'm home during the week only after ~5PM). Every week you can raise the peak percentage by around 5% (~13 of 255) on each channel. Be sure to pay attention to your corals - if they are losing color and turning more brown, then you can raise it by 10% that week; if they are losing color and turning lighter, then lower the light by 5% immediately and observe for at least a week to ensure that your corals do not continue to bleach, which will kill them.

If you have dedicated moonlights, then adjust that channel to max out during the day (might as well use it to the fullest!) and then for night PWM set it to 30 and then turn on moonphase, this will auto adjust the intensity so you won't need to worry about it again.

If you do not have dedicated moonlights, then set either your 'white' or 'blue' channel to PWM 1 or 2 (not %, out of 255) and leave moonphase off.

Thanks Ben.

The only thing I like to say is start half way. So Storm 125ish on each channel. Then adjust your white or blue down at first. Rather than 100%.

I currently have been running a Mini over a 24" x 14" x 14" and run 200 blue and 130 white. SPS in middle and growing, Monti cap on bottom and growing well too. Blowing my mind.

-D

Thanks Ben.

The only thing I like to say is start half way. So Storm 125ish on each channel. Then adjust your white or blue down at first. Rather than 100%.

I currently have been running a Mini over a 24" x 14" x 14" and run 200 blue and 130 white. SPS in middle and growing, Monti cap on bottom and growing well too. Blowing my mind.

-D

So Starting at 125 on each channel will be a good starting point for adjusting from pc lighting to led?

So Starting at 125 on each channel will be a good starting point for adjusting from pc lighting to led?

On my personal small tank I run 90 for whites and 135 for blues right now. Sometimes I will bump the white to 80ish.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry if this has already been covered (I read through most of this thread but might have missed it) - with the "Night" setting, can you program it so that it only stays on for a few hours? I don't have a dedicated moonlight channel, so right now when my sunset program finishes, my night program turns on (Ch1-0, Ch2-1) but then it stays on until my sunrise program starts the next day.

There is not an option to do this.

Sorry if this has already been covered (I read through most of this thread but might have missed it) - with the "Night" setting, can you program it so that it only stays on for a few hours? I don't have a dedicated moonlight channel, so right now when my sunset program finishes, my night program turns on (Ch1-0, Ch2-1) but then it stays on until my sunrise program starts the next day.

Negative. Could be a cool feature but not there yet.

-Dave

i have a 29 gallon biocube i am using the retrofit i keep on messing with my whites and blues trying to find the right settings right now im running the whites at 130 and blues at 65 but my corals seem to be stressing a little

You could do it manually with one of those timer plugs.

You could do it manually with one of those timer plugs.

Do you mean by plugging the actual power supply for the light itself into a timer and have the timer on from 12:00pm (when my lights come on) till 12:00am for example (or whenever I want the night mode to shut off)?

• 2 weeks later...

Mr. Aqua 32g 24x18x18

Nano Box Duo with moonlight channel

Coralux Storm

Light quality: Unbelievably even, no separation of colors anywhere in the tank. Brilliant, sparkling. Plenty of headroom for when I'm ready for SPS.

Ch1: 160

Ch2: 130

Sunrise: 8:00

Sunset: 19:30

Ramp time: 180

Moon phase adjust: ON

I'm not sure how to handle moon phase adjust. Questions:

• Does it not only conform to moon phases, but to the rising and setting times of the moon? For instance, if it's waxing gibbous rising at 12:15 am, the light would fade up to full when the moon hits apogee, or at least turn on at 12:15 and turn off the next morning?
  • The manual says to set the moonlight setting to 30 (!), which would be full moon, and everything in between waxing and waning. Just checked and the moonlight channel only goes to 7.
  • For me, 01 on the moonlight setting seems high. That's subjective, as I don't know what light levels would be typical in a reef at clownfish depth. So, I would like to subdivide 01 by 15, with 01 being full moon, though I don't imagine that's possible. Alternatively, could I set full moon at 05, and it would subdivide that, or does it only go whole numbers? And if so, what would happen if I set the moonlight channel to 5?
Of course I could do a Galileo and sit up all night taking readings to figure this all out, but since someone programmed it, I figured that would be easier ;) .

Thanks!

Here's my tank in progress

post-86134-0-76778700-1417473313_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have a mini tide/ gooseneck with the bluefish controller over a 5 gallon tank (10x10x12). Could anybody recommend some settings for me? I'm not sure if the levels on the storm controller differ from the bluefish controller. Any help would be awesome! Tank mates would thank you

• 2 weeks later...

Just to add to this...if you have a moonlight channel it is semi doable. Just have the moonlight channel set to a daytime schedule. Dont have it set to a delay, then have the blue and white channels set to a delay. That way you can have a moonlight on for a couple of hrs before and after the main daylight schedule. For me the lunar phase and night features are limited just because it doesnt mimic moon rise or sunset times or have an option to set an off time during that period.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,
New to this forum, I just installed a nanobox retro kit in my Coralife BC 29.
My question, If I unplug my storm controller from the AC power will it lose it's setting?
Thanks,
Barry

Hi all,

My question, If I unplug my storm controller from the AC power will it lose it's setting?

Thanks,

Barry

The RTC has a battery backup and the settings are saved in EEPROM so they are retained after a power loss.

Hi all,

Thanks,

Barry

It will hold all settings. Hope this helps!

Archived