ReefCleaners.org

Nano Box Settings : Share your settings for your Storm controller

DaveFason

Light: Nano Box Mini Tide

Aquarium: IM Fusion 10 gallon

Current settings: B - 220 W - 80

I'd like a more actinic look to my tank because I love the way my corals fluoresce under blue light. I've been running the above settings for a few months, but the lighting is more blue than actinic looking. What settings do you suggest to get an actinic quality to the lighting? How low can I drop the White channel before negatively affecting coral growth?

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the quick reply!

Good point. I should have clarified what I meant by Actinic. If you go to this link: http://cnidarianreef.com/G180/lamps.php and look 1/2 way down the page at the second set of picuters (AC14K Acquaconnet 14K) and look at the photo on the right side (with actinic turned on), you'll get the idea of what I'm trying to achieve.

jedimasterben

Thanks for the quick reply!

Good point. I should have clarified what I meant by Actinic. If you go to this link: http://cnidarianreef.com/G180/lamps.php and look 1/2 way down the page at the second set of picuters (AC14K Acquaconnet 14K) and look at the photo on the right side (with actinic turned on), you'll get the idea of what I'm trying to achieve.

The actinics used in those photos, according to the site, are UVL Super Actinic T12VHO lamps, which have mostly violet light.

SuperActinic.jpg

The NBR arrays don't have enough violet to get the same effect, at least not without seriously reducing the output of the other three channels. Doesn't quite give the same effect.

So... what are my options using the light that I have? I do like the look as the white channel drops off during the sunset phase. The corals do fluorescence enough then. How low can I set the white channel on the Mini Tide before I adversely effect coral growth?

So... what are my options using the light that I have? I do like the look as the white channel drops off during the sunset phase. The corals do fluorescence enough then. How low can I set the white channel on the Mini Tide before I adversely effect coral growth?

You can run blue at the level you have it and then run the whites around 40. There are plenty of people growing corals in almost all blue. Just whatever you prefer!

-Dave

• 3 months later...
righttirefire

So I've read through this a few times... what settings are people using for a quad over a 20 long.

My tank is struggling and I believe it's because a bta was dying and releasing crap into my water. My parameter weren't effected. But I watched. Pink birdsnest stn. And have. A few other corals not as amazing.

I started my quad at, 11/21/15

32 white

64 royal

64 Violet

57 cyan

It's been ramped over 11 weeks to:

60 white

121 royal

121 Violet

107 cyan

The timeline runs a similar pattern to my 3 week melt of the bta. So I reduced the light to week 8 when everything looked good... it's been running there for 1 week now and little improvement.

The flesh of the coral still have color, but spotty polyp extension.

Sorry this has been lengthy. I've increased to 10 gallon weekly waterchanges.

I love my nanobox, but am I the only person. Running a quad over a 20 long

So I've read through this a few times... what settings are people using for a quad over a 20 long.

My tank is struggling and I believe it's because a bta was dying and releasing crap into my water. My parameter weren't effected. But I watched. Pink birdsnest stn. And have. A few other corals not as amazing.

I started my quad at, 11/21/15

32 white

64 royal

64 Violet

57 cyan

It's been ramped over 11 weeks to:

60 white

121 royal

121 Violet

107 cyan

The timeline runs a similar pattern to my 3 week melt of the bta. So I reduced the light to week 8 when everything looked good... it's been running there for 1 week now and little improvement.

The flesh of the coral still have color, but spotty polyp extension.

Sorry this has been lengthy. I've increased to 10 gallon weekly waterchanges.

I love my nanobox, but am I the only person. Running a quad over a 20 long

I feel you are way under. The 20L is not huge but I believe you have this hung as well.

Bump the royal and violet up 40-50 and the blue/cyan 30-40.

Adjust the white to you liking.

-Dave

righttirefire

I feel you are way under. The 20L is not huge but I believe you have this hung as well.

Bump the royal and violet up 40-50 and the blue/cyan 30-40.

Adjust the white to you liking.

-Dave

20160104_101407_zpsryegumko.jpg

You are correct it I'd hung. I belive it's 7" above the glass top. About 8' above the water level. I was increasing intensity about 6 points weekly maintaining my ratio.

Thanks for your input dave. I'm going to let everything settle a couple weeks and start March my intensity up again.

• 1 month later...

As reference... I am running 145 Blue 85 White right now. Granted it is hard to get a good picture of LED's with this phone... but you get an idea. Only been up for ~2 months, so still waiting for my corraline to show up and take out the green on the rock.

25706758654_eced212290_c.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

New owner of the Due here, and am going through these threads, trying to fine tune settings. When you guys posts numbers over 100%, how are you doing this? I see no where in the settings to go over 100 percent? I'm missing something lol!

Ken

Hi all,

New owner of the Due here, and am going through these threads, trying to fine tune settings. When you guys posts numbers over 100%, how are you doing this? I see no where in the settings to go over 100 percent? I'm missing something lol!

Ken

Ken you have a Bluefish I assume?

jedimasterben

Yes sir!

Then your numbers are only 0-100% in 4095 steps, but only the 0-100 is viewable to the user and the controller calculates the actual value out of 4096. The older Storm controllers that Nanobox used up til last year had 0-100% in 255 steps, but the user was able to see the and control the 255 steps instead of 0-100.

Yeah i never understood this whole steps situation lol.. i own a duo m and its over my IM nuvo 20, got it about 7 inches high from water line. i started my duo with low lights @ around 60% and my white @ 11% and every week i would ramp it about 2% a week untill i eventually saw some happiness in my tank. can i go higher or are my lights running too strong already.. any suggestion would great.

Morning : royal blue and violet @ 73%

Mid: Royal blue: 75%

White: 20%

Violet : 75%

Blue: 75%

Evening: Same as morning.

i only stock zoas, GSP, Long tip anemone, and bubble tip and just put in my first stylo.

jedimasterben

can i go higher or are my lights running too strong already

Only your corals can answer that question. If it is too much, they'll shrink up, bleach, and eventually die. If too little, they'll puff out and darken up, but won't grow as fast. Gotta find the happy median, which is different for every coral.

Only your corals can answer that question. If it is too much, they'll shrink up, bleach, and eventually die. If too little, they'll puff out and darken up, but won't grow as fast. Gotta find the happy median, which is different for every coral.

yea, my zoas are all opened and now are nice and wide, just the whole color situation is where im confused, i bought a small red setosa, it bleached in like two weeks still got some color on the side where the light is hitting it but slowly bleaching. , previous owner had a blue kessil, all my parameters are stable, cal 420 , Kdh 9 mag 1350. i do water 5 gallon water changes every single week.

• 1 month later...

I like a whiter look. Is 50 blue and 80 white too low? Also, my time is 9 am to 8 pm with a 50 minute ramp time. This isn't too long, is it? This is in a biocube 14. I'm just looking for purple or white coralline growth, enough light for an anemone and green star polyps and not too much nuisance algae growth. A lot of the settings I see seem pretty high.

I like a whiter look. Is 50 blue and 80 white too low? Also, my time is 9 am to 8 pm with a 50 minute ramp time. This isn't too long, is it? This is in a biocube 14. I'm just looking for purple or white coralline growth, enough light for an anemone and green star polyps and not too much nuisance algae growth. A lot of the settings I see seem pretty high.

Jeff,

Bump it up just a hair. 80 blue and 110 whites.

-Dave

• 4 weeks later...
Gilly's Reef

Sea EVO 5

blue channel: 65

white channel: 90

sunrise: 8am est

sunset: 8pm est

ramp: 60min

delay: -30min whites

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

I will be reviewing my new fixture soon but I wanted to comment and ask for feedback about settings with the 3.1 arrays.

My light is a 60" Sunpower retro with 4 T5's and 8 v3.1 arrays (Lime on it's own channel). This hangs over a 150 gallon tank. I love this light and it's the first time I've been able to achieve what looks like a crisp blue/white with LEDs without that ugly purplish tint.

My mid day settings are:

Royal Blue: 85%
White: 25%
Violet: 40%
Blue/Cyan: 100%
Lime: 80%

To my eyes this provides a crisp cool white on the sandbed and coral colors still pop. This also seems to be a decent, but not perfect, match with light on the reef at a 15m depth. Source: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature
zR3Pqrt.jpg
Fig. 3 Light spectral distribution vs. wavelength on the surface (light blue), at 5m (blue) and 15m (dark blue) depths

Anyone else with the 3.1 arrays care to share their settings or comment on this?

Hi all,

I will be reviewing my new fixture soon but I wanted to comment and ask for feedback about settings with the 3.1 arrays.

My light is a 60" Sunpower retro with 4 T5's and 8 v3.1 arrays (Lime on it's own channel). This hangs over a 150 gallon tank. I love this light and it's the first time I've been able to achieve what looks like a crisp blue/white with LEDs without that ugly purplish tint.

My mid day settings are:

Royal Blue: 85%

White: 25%

Violet: 40%

Blue/Cyan: 100%

Lime: 80%

To my eyes this provides a crisp cool white on the sandbed and coral colors still pop. This also seems to be a decent, but not perfect, match with light on the reef at a 15m depth. Source: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/10/aafeature

zR3Pqrt.jpg

Fig. 3 Light spectral distribution vs. wavelength on the surface (light blue), at 5m (blue) and 15m (dark blue) depths

Anyone else with the 3.1 arrays care to share their settings or comment on this?

I have 3 V3.1 arrays with a storm X controller. It is a DIY job, and I have had it up and running for about 2 months now.

Daytime settings:

The whites and limes are on channel 1 with a 1000 mA Meanwell set at 85/255

The cyan is on channel 2 with a 1000 mA Meanwell set at 105/255

The blues are on channel 3 with a 700 mA Meanwell set at 140/255

The UV is on channel 4 with a 1000 mA Meanwell set at 110/255

Nighttime, I have Ch1 = 0, Ch2 - 4 = 5/255.

Ramp = 180 min

I love the look of this light and the functionality of the stormX, but I think that these settings are still a bit too low (I am still playing around). I have a mindtrick montipora that seems to be browning out while the sunset montipora that is nearby (but a tad lower) that is doing just fine. Anyone have a suggestion as to what levels I should be working up to?

I have 3 V3.1 arrays with a storm X controller. It is a DIY job, and I have had it up and running for about 2 months now.

Daytime settings:

The whites and limes are on channel 1 with a 1000 mA Meanwell set at 85/255

The cyan is on channel 2 with a 1000 mA Meanwell set at 105/255

The blues are on channel 3 with a 700 mA Meanwell set at 140/255

The UV is on channel 4 with a 1000 mA Meanwell set at 110/255

Nighttime, I have Ch1 = 0, Ch2 - 4 = 5/255.

Ramp = 180 min

I love the look of this light and the functionality of the stormX, but I think that these settings are still a bit too low (I am still playing around). I have a mindtrick montipora that seems to be browning out while the sunset montipora that is nearby (but a tad lower) that is doing just fine. Anyone have a suggestion as to what levels I should be working up to?

Bump the blue, cyan and UV up much higher. closer to 200.

-Dave

Archived