Top Shelf Aquatics

Arce's Tank

Arce

CH 1 - 6 Neutral White 4 Lime

CH 2 - 8 Royal Blue 2 Blue 2 Cyan

Hows that LED combo lookin? Essentially copied the NB pucks but took out the violet since i dont need heavy par and took out the warm whites for the neutrals since i already have them.

Thinkin about taking the cyans out.

reefernanoman

Yea im happy with it. Think it should work out pretty well hopefully.

Spent a little more than i would like so far, but that's what happens in this hobby :rolleyes: <_<The real deciding factor was that i got shocked again, pretty bad this time, from the lights i was using. Going to gut it and see if its worth fixing for the future.

Man you got shocked? Be safe and good luck with the new set up.
  • Like 1
jedimasterben

Hows that LED combo lookin? Essentially copied the NB pucks but took out the violet since i dont need heavy par and took out the warm whites for the neutrals since i already have them.

Thinkin about taking the cyans out.

Why?

• Like 1

Why?

Why what? Take the cyans out? Idk lol, saves me $8. :lol:

Man you got shocked? Be safe and good luck with the new set up.

Yea ive gotten shocked a few times now, nothing very serious but it could have been a big issue. Thanks.

• Like 1

It's not worth the $8 man lol. And you still want violet, as well.

Thought violet only really helps increase par not temperature. Aside from helping with fluorescing corals?

jedimasterben

Thought violet only really helps increase par not temperature. Aside from helping with fluorescing corals?

Violet may have an impact on coral coloration, as well, not just fluorescence.

Hm ok so how about...

CH3 - 2 Violet

I have a small moonlight driver i can put the 2 violets on, but that pretty much fills the whole heat sink.

• 3 weeks later...

Never got a chance to post an update.

So when the 29 came down :tears:... I set up a standard Deep Blue 20 high.

I needed a break from the SPS game after losing my whole tank, but I didn't want to completely leave the hobby. The plan is to just keep it simple, a care free tank that I don't have to dose or test daily, one that I can enjoy in the mean time.

Equipment...

Standard DB 20 high

AC50

DIY LEDs (12RB 6NW 4Lime)

Aqueon pro 100w heater

Tunze ATO

RW-4

The plans just macros, leathers / zoas, and some select LPS.

For fish I have my original clown and mandarin, and I added a springers damsel.

Heres a dirty FTS to hold everyone over for awhile. I need to clean up the wires, pull all that GHA, and rearrange some things. I also got a some macros and a sponge from Kat yesterday which isn't in this FTS.

21224824239_6ece595832_b.jpgUntitled by justin arce, on Flickr

Having a simple system like this is so new to me, I got so used to having a skimmer and such for filtration. Going to take some time to get used to. One thing i cant figure out is why my waters still so cloudy, I've been running filter pads/floss and still cant get it crystal clear. At first i thought it was a bacterial bloom but its been a couple weeks now.

When I move, hopefully within a year, I'm going to look into getting an sps tank back up and running. Just want to do it when I settle in and can fund it.

• Like 6

I needed a break from the SPS game after losing my whole tank, but I didn't want to completely leave the hobby. The plan is to just keep it simple, a care free tank that I don't have to dose or test daily, one that I can enjoy in the mean time.

Equipment...

Standard DB 20 high

AC50

Aqueon pro 100w heater

Tunze ATO

RW-4

Heres a dirty FTS to hold everyone over for awhile. I need to clean up the wires, pull all that GHA, and rearrange some things. I also got a some macros and a sponge from Kat yesterday which isn't in this FTS.

Having a simple system like this is so new to me, I got so used to having a skimmer and such for filtration. Going to take some time to get used to. One thing i cant figure out is why my waters still so cloudy, I've been running filter pads/floss and still cant get it crystal clear. At first i thought it was a bacterial bloom but its been a couple weeks now.

When I move, hopefully within a year, I'm going to look into getting an sps tank back up and running. Just want to do it when I settle in and can fund it.

I had this issue when I set up my second tank. Cloudiness that wouldn't go away for days to weeks at a time. About the only thing that would clear it was a UV sterilizer. Usually overnight the cloudiness would be gone. Then when the sterilizer was removed it would come back in a couple of days. Battled this for about a month. Ended up leaving the sterilizer running for about three weeks and since then no more issues.

• Like 1

I had this issue when I set up my second tank. Cloudiness that wouldn't go away for days to weeks at a time. About the only thing that would clear it was a UV sterilizer. Usually overnight the cloudiness would be gone. Then when the sterilizer was removed it would come back in a couple of days. Battled this for about a month. Ended up leaving the sterilizer running for about three weeks and since then no more issues.

Yep sounds like a bacterial bloom. Im just going to let nature do its thing, eventually it will clear up. Its not as bad as it used to be.

That big gorgonian in the back is my fav.

I want one or two more gorgs. A rusty spiny one, and a ribbon. But after talking with you yesterday the ribbon might be out.

• Like 1

Youll be back to sps ;)

Definitely, but not anytime soon.

Keeping the water flowing that's is what's important!

That's the plan!

Springers damsels are nice :)

They really are, and i got it for like $6 lol. They give a great pop of color.

• Like 2

Equipment...

Standard DB 20 high

AC50

Aqueon pro 100w heater

Tunze ATO

RW-4

Why not just get easy monti SPS like mine? They are very forgiving and I haven't needed to be testing my water every day, unless I see something wrong.

Why not just get easy monti SPS like mine? They are very forgiving and I haven't needed to be testing my water every day, unless I see something wrong.

I could do that but just want to keep it simple.

I believe he had Monti nudis at one point unless that was mark

I had AEFW
  • Like 1

doesn't look cloudy to me at all. I wish i could set up a simple tank, but it's just not economical for me right now. :(

It cleared up after a water change and cleaning but it did the same thing last week and three days later it was cloudy again so ill see what happens