Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

SouthReef -- Bye bye Red Planet!

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron

My cousin has been raving about Living Reef, saying they're huge into SPS, like, huge colonies and all... to sell.... so I'm excited to check them out.

Just checked out Top Shelf on the map, not too far north. Same distance from Disney (just about).

Yeah, Living Reef just got back into SPS about 3 or 4 months ago. It is pretty much all maricultured stuff, but some of it is quite nice. I got these 2 colonies for $130, plus a free frag of zoas to go with it. The 2 owners went down to Bali and hand picked a couple hundred colonies and brought them back to their farm. I believe their going on their 3rd shipment now, so it is selling well for them. Supposedly, they are going to start selling online/shipping soon also.

Unfortunately, I lost this colony due to an alk spike, but it was very nice.

https://flic.kr/p/qtwABE'>16064077628_d558eb45c0_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qtwABE'>DSCN4390 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

This one is still doing good.

https://flic.kr/p/qtxpdh'>16064234380_171786eb66_b.jpghttps://flic.kr/p/qtxpdh'>DSCN4374 by https://www.flickr.com/people/89326890@N03/'>cchsoracle, on Flickr

When I went there (WWC)for their farm opening,I about cried and my wallet jumped out of my pocket and ran lol. They're so expensive for no reason. They tried selling me some brown ass piers for $40+. It was nuts. But Living Reef,is on the top of my list for LFS's. That's where I get all my sps from. Although I did get my Hawkins frag from Top Shelf for only $8 :D.

But if you're interested (in Living Reef) I was talking to the owner and a couple of their employees and they said if anyone out of the area is interested to just shoot them a email or message them on facebook and they can snap of pics of stuff and figure something out. As you can see though,randy snagged some gorgeous pieces from them,they're prices in mini colonies aren't bad at all.

SouthFlorida_Tron

I contacted them through email and checked to see if they had photos available but they said no and left it at that and i would have to come into the store.. unfortunately i wasn't able to make it.

When I went there (WWC)for their farm opening,I about cried and my wallet jumped out of my pocket and ran lol. They're so expensive for no reason. They tried selling me some brown ass piers for $40+. It was nuts.

Unfortunately, they are expensive for a reason....there are people(and plenty of them) that will pay those outrageous prices for no reason other than it is World Wide Corals.....SMH

I contacted them through email and checked to see if they had photos available but they said no and left it at that and i would have to come into the store.. unfortunately i wasn't able to make it.

Hmmmm, well are you looking for anything specific? I can try to see what they got next time I go in.

Hmmmm,that's weird. Yeah let me and randy know what you want,or looking for and we can check. I'm in there every weekend,so I have a good idea of what they've got there. Or we can take pictures and shoot em to you. I'm always down to help people out.

Unfortunately, they are expensive for a reason....there are people(and plenty of them) that will pay those outrageous prices for no reason other than it is World Wide Corals.....SMH

Hmmmm, well are you looking for anything specific? I can try to see what they got next time I go in.

So very true. They really don't have that much that has a super wow factor to make me spend $109-$150 for a 1/4"-3/4" piece. Not even the Littlw Red Ferrari is worth it,but I'm also frugale when it comes to what I buy. I'd rather pay $100 for 3-4 frags than one 1/4"-3/4" piece imo.

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Hey guys, why does my salinity slowly rise a tad over the span of a few days? My alk and ca levels are in line....ato running, skimmer skimming... yet salinity rose from 1.025 to 1.027 while i was gone???

Weird....probably a dumb question, but are you 100% sure that you are topping off with RO/DI and not saltwater? I have heard of someone accidentally putting mixed water in their topoff container. Do you have a doser set up? I know dosing 2 part can very slowly increase salinity, but I wouldn't think you would be dosing even close to enough, especially in just 2 days.

That happens! That colony I posted earlier I lost because I somehow made my water way too high when I did a water change. I was trying to raise the salinity slightly, as it was low at 1.022. But, somehow I brought it all the way up to 1.027, and my alk went from 8 to 9.8. Needless to say, that colony RTNed in 24 hours....it happens to the best of us.....

My cousin has been raving about Living Reef, saying they're huge into SPS, like, huge colonies and all... to sell.... so I'm excited to check them out.

Just checked out Top Shelf on the map, not too far north. Same distance from Disney (just about).

They have healthy healed frags, good quality.

SouthFlorida_Tron

He showed me tanks full of colonies, all I saw at WWC were these jew'd out 1/4" if that frags... like come on... be more generous, and they all looked unhealthy.

Cant wait to see Living Reef.

• Like 3

He showed me tanks full of colonies, all I saw at WWC were these jew'd out 1/4" if that frags... like come on... be more generous, and they all looked unhealthy.

What I've learned at WWC is that prices can be extremely negotiable when talking to certain people (I've had the price dropped by as much as 50% on their frags) and they put the best stuff for sale online. If you want SPS I would just stick with Top Shelf or Living Reef as they definitely have some great stuff without jacking up the prices.

I'm glad someone agrees with me. 80% of the people just want their stuff because it has "WWC" attached to the name and not because they actually like the piece. I'll just keep supporting my shops that I do lol.

Luckily I didn't have any crazy swings lol.

Glad to hear it, I was not so lucky....

Now you do have to remember, the tank full of colonies at LR is all maricultured colonies that were just pulled from the ocean a couple months ago at best. Anything you find at WWC, for the most part, is going to be aquacultured from their farm. They have colonies, their just not for sale and you don't always see them.

What I've learned at WWC is that prices can be extremely negotiable when talking to certain people (I've had the price dropped by as much as 50% on their frags) and they put the best stuff for sale online. If you want SPS I would just stick with Top Shelf or Living Reef as they definitely have some great stuff without jacking up the prices.

I agree, especially once they get to know you, but I still find it more expensive than other places. They have some really fire stuff, but you have to be patient and buy it at the right time to get it at a reasonable price(live sales, ebay auctions, etc.)

I'm glad someone agrees with me. 80% of the people just want their stuff because it has "WWC" attached to the name and not because they actually like the piece. I'll just keep supporting my shops that I do lol.

While WWC does have some really nice stuff, I agree. I could really care less whether it has the WWC name or any other for that matter. I just buy what looks good.

I didn't know their name was so reputable...

It's not all that reputable, it's just expensive.

They are a VERY big name, especially over on R2R. Their live sales on R2R are always one of the more popular ones.

jedimasterben

Aquacultured. Maricultured aren't bad, but they're still adjusted to the ocean, and they can sometimes come in with NASTY hitchhikers.

They are a VERY big name, especially over on R2R. Their live sales on R2R are always one of the more popular ones.

Oh, I'm well aware, but their reputation doesn't justify their pricing, that's what I meant. IMHO they're just a chop shop most of the time, especially from what I have seen in their frag tanks when I have been there.

Which do better in reef tanks:

Maricultured

Or

Aquacultured

I'd assume aquacultured would be hardier since they're grown in tanks as apposed to maricultured in the ocean. We get a ton (most of our corals) of maricultured corals and they do just fine.

I'd assume aquacultured would be hardier since they're grown in tanks as apposed to maricultured in the ocean. We get a ton (most of our corals) of maricultured corals and they do just fine.

Exactly

Aquacultured. Maricultured aren't bad, but they're still adjusted to the ocean, and they can sometimes come in with NASTY hitchhikers.

Oh, I'm well aware, but their reputation doesn't justify their pricing, that's what I meant. IMHO they're just a chop shop most of the time, especially from what I have seen in their frag tanks when I have been there.

I agree 100%. I just don't get the same Wow factor when looking at their frags in the store as I get when looking at their picture online. I don't know if that is because they over-edit their pictures or just save the best for online. I do feel like they do a LOT of their business online.

Which do better in reef tanks:

Maricultured

Or

Aquacultured

Both have the potential to do well, but aquacultured have the benefit of being established and used to aquarium life. Usually, with SPS especially, you just have a better chance with aquacultured.

SouthFlorida_Tron

No comments allowed from you! Even your air is reef ready over there. Let alone the water. Your tap water is probably a perfect 1.025 lol

• Like 3
lilmatty5dimes

Now you can turn maricultured into aquacultured. I believe it's got to be fragged and grown out then fragged again and grown out and that third fragged piece would be considered aquacultured. I've known a few people who have bought maricultured sps and have had very little success. They called it a ticking time bomb. Make sure you dip like crazy so you don't get any pest.