Top Shelf Aquatics

SouthReef -- Bye bye Red Planet!

SouthFlorida_Tron

Im so up and down on it... Im not sure why I'm getting this random green algae, and i think its feeding on n03 and p04 (why it shows minimal on test kits)

the bubble algae i know came on a frag and exploded in the tank, i have no clue how to rid my tank of it, I've tried removing rocks and picking them off but they come back...

Ive got some green hairy stuff that only grows on my tonga branches... it almost looks like bryopsis but i am not seeing the feather structure but grows in a similar way. I am ignoring it as its kinda pretty/natural looking.

my one armed female emerald does eat bubble from what ive seen, i may add another.

Bubble algae is pretty easy to manage. There's no need to take the time to take the rock out and pick the stuff off unless it is cathartic for you or something :P. Just keep trying emerald crabs until you find one that has a taste for it. Mine keeps the rocks spotless, but it grows in the places where the crab crab reach :( I think I need to get my emerald crab a cherry picker.

LOL, but i hear those are hit or miss, and may cause more harm than good.... remember my tank isn't as big as yours...

meh just pull em if its a miss, i seriously doubt it could do too much dmg before you noticed and had to pluck the booger out and send him back to the lfs.

I finally restart my Cadlights reactor using all in one pellets. My PO4 and NO3 always low, but seems to have help with new algae forming on newer rocks I placed into the system.

I say go for it.

Im so up and down on it... Im not sure why I'm getting this random green algae, and i think its feeding on n03 and p04 (why it shows minimal on test kits)

the bubble algae i know came on a frag and exploded in the tank, i have no clue how to rid my tank of it, I've tried removing rocks and picking them off but they come back...

Stop worrying about it. Use it as an excuse to scrape an area clear and place a coral there. :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

Stop worrying about it. Use it as an excuse to scrape an area clear and place a coral there. :)

Every time i rid the rock of bubble algae by scraping it off, it comes back....

So ya... lol

SouthFlorida_Tron

Huge Changes!

No more stylo except for the frags on the sandbed... Went OCD on as much bubble algae as i could in the tank... from the back sponge, to every single rock, inspected... sandbed checked, everything is super pissed...

Went to do a water change, and 3 hours later, i finally did do the water change... LOL

Tank is a hot mess... will probably need to do another water change in a few days just to clean up all the slime and crud floating about the sandbed...

​Also took the opportunity to take some of the zoas and move a few frags to the 4g tank to help it really pop with whats already inside, the tide is getting a storm installed and ill be awaiting to see some great colors!

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

Man o Man, I forgot how sexy corals look under Royal Blues... Our friend staying with us said "ooo, its almost like a coral black light!"

I laughed... :)

SouthFlorida_Tron

This was a budget way to retro LOL

But I am awaiting Dave to return my Tide which will now have Storm :ninja:

I added 6 new zoas from the main tank, to the 4g, so it should be poppin with color soon!

So the peroxide is mixed with water or just drop the rock with the zoas on there right into a bowl of peroxide?

do like a 30% mix of hydrogen peroxide to 70% r/o water. ive had to dip multiple zoas/sps due to a hair algae break out and its worked everytime. at one point i dipped a few for like 5 minutes because i just didnt care and didnt think they were going to make it anyway and they came back with no issues. i would dip for 45seconds to a minute and if you're are going to pop or pull the bubble agae off the plug do it while you're dipping it.

Santa hooked TRON up!!!! Hopefully everyone is getting their fish wish lists fulfilled!!!!

Merry Christmas!

15483406163_39df8b4462_c.jpgReefbrite by J.L Photography, on Flickr

is there a major difference. i have a ati now and a reef brite laying around. can you put a before and after pic up for us?

SouthFlorida_Tron

do like a 30% mix of hydrogen peroxide to 70% r/o water. ive had to dip multiple zoas/sps due to a hair algae break out and its worked everytime. at one point i dipped a few for like 5 minutes because i just didnt care and didnt think they were going to make it anyway and they came back with no issues. i would dip for 45seconds to a minute and if you're are going to pop or pull the bubble agae off the plug do it while you're dipping it.

is there a major difference. i have a ati now and a reef brite laying around. can you put a before and after pic up for us?

The photo wouldn't show the difference, its all by eye... the most noticeable is with Blue+ only. It adds a touch of shimmer, and definently increases softy pop. Once the coral+ kicks on the effect is less noticeable but there is a touch of blue, a light touch, added.

I will mostly enjoy an added hour to each end of the cycle of only LED to really get the pop. I missed my zoas under LEDs

Also want to mention that I added only 1 unit. during full cycle hours, 2 would most likely be much more noticeable, but 1 is good for what i wanted :)

Looking awesome Tron. Have you had a deep long though about scraping a spot on that Red Planet to try and get it to branch ?

I've talked to a few people at LFS's about how yours grows and they told me scraping a few spots on the encrusted parts would encourage branchig. Just a thought :)

I just gave my 5 stylo frags to the nearby LFS. To big, too fast, and I have a big tank.

My vote is for sexy SPS. Rainbow Milli, or some other "way too expensive" Acro. :)

• Like 1