Coral Vue Hydros

SouthReef -- Bye bye Red Planet!

SouthFlorida_Tron

SouthFlorida_Tron
Sheet bro lookin great!
I miss that stylo. :(
looks sooo much cleaner!
Well, it was nice but I needed to open things up. I also went ocd on bubble algae

I just gave my 5 stylo frags to the nearby LFS. To big, too fast, and I have a big tank. My vote is for sexy SPS. Rainbow Milli, or some other "way too expensive" Acro. :)
it better be something baller.
What will take the stylo's place?
I still have a few stubborn blotches of bubbles, tiny ones... And I want the tank to have time to adjust. I will have time to search out the right coral!
SouthFlorida_Tron
Looking awesome Tron. Have you had a deep long though about scraping a spot on that Red Planet to try and get it to branch ?

I've talked to a few people at LFS's about how yours grows and they told me scraping a few spots on the encrusted parts would encourage branchig. Just a thought :)

I have scratched the tip and some spots around the surface that is encrusting gently, maybe not hard enough... How aggressive should I be?

SouthFlorida_Tron

I agree with Ben,a good piece.

So remove, literally, a chunk of the tip? and make sure i make a good dent into the encrusted flesh?

Wow. That's a huge frogspawn! I like it.

Thanks! One of the original pieces i purchased years back when i got back into the hobby with a 14g biocube! It has a gazillion heads now! and still splitting! Its become a nuisance for flow, and is barely standing on its own! soon it will be time to add more frag disks to the base!

• Like 1
SouthFlorida_Tron

What colorful ACRO does well under T5, and LED, and is not super sensitive that it will turn brown at the first site of something it doesn't like?

Where would you shop your sps? any users known on here for selling good stuff?

I would say the ecrusting area,not the tip itself. I'd say wherever you'd like it to branch from.

Ummm,colorful acro's... hmm.. Pink Lemonade,Strawberry Shortcake,any kind of Tort. Pop in on Cherry Corals and see what they have. They usually have $10-$20 pieces,or PEA or something. If you were closer,I would recommend Living Reef which is here in Central Florida. They have pretty nice mini colonies about 3-4" and even bigger pieces starting out at $50-$60. Can you get any nice pieces locally ?

I actually just got a 3/4" piece of Strawberry Lemonade that my lfs had broken off of its mother colony for free,I can't wait to see what it does.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Are the blue corals high maintenance? or stubborn? do they stay blue?

I expected the pink milli to be pink, but turned brown, then started growing a lot, and only the tips are pink, the rest is brown

I had a blue tort and it kept its color but had some coral warfare so it rtn'd on me. but the 2+ weeks it was in my tank,it was dark blue with bright blue polyps. If I was local to you,I'd chop up my Mille's and give you a few frags..

SouthFlorida_Tron

oh damn, i don't remember... feels like centuries ago lol...

I had a blue tort and it kept its color but had some coral warfare so it rtn'd on me. but the 2+ weeks it was in my tank,it was dark blue with bright blue polyps. If I was local to you,I'd chop up my Mille's and give you a few frags..

Thanks man, thats nice of you... so pacific east has great stuff but super expensive... checked out reef gardener, didn't see anything tempting... what are some other places?

Such a good looking piece,I've always wanted a frag. Shoot,with how cheap gas is getting 45 minutes is almost worth it instead of paying shipping (which is what $15-$25 for us floridians ?) lol.

SouthFlorida_Tron

Such a good looking piece,I've always wanted a frag. Shoot,with how cheap gas is getting 45 minutes is almost worth it instead of paying shipping (which is what $15-$25 for us floridians ?) lol.

And Im driving a diesel now, would probably take around 2 gallons round trip! maybe less!

Gotta love the lower flash points on diesel fuel !! Might cost you $6 bucks round trip lol.

If I can off my LED light,I'm really thinking about getting a few frags from Reef Gardener. If talk to Alex B and see if he could get some sexy ass Orange Passion.