Coral Vue Hydros

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

I'm loving this thread. Beer, nerding out on tanks, irreverent comedies

Thanks! Join in the fun :)

Emerald crab is going to TOWN on the algae. I'm glad, too. Today it's grown considerably. I think I'm going to have to do a 1g water change tomorrow (20%). I have named him Baron von Algenfresser. I'm going to try and find him a tiny top hat and eye patch ;)

Snails are moving around, though, I want them to be eating more of the algae. I got a pretty big margarita and a kind of smaller one. The florida ceriths are small and I only got 3 (1.99 each... seriously?). I think I got enough for now. It'll take a while for the uglies to be rid of, but I think that in due time the CUC will have it under control. I just need to be patient...

i really like that hammer

Thanks! It's REALLY happy where it is. The kenya has come back out today - no more shade from it at me. I put the ricordea over near those two to keep flow low and to give it light but not too much.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

At my parent's new house, there is a little rat snake living around there, I named him Reginald von Fluffybottom. :)

Hahahaha that is awesome! Kelsey has been calling him Barry for short. I'll refer to him by his royal title.

BRS and MD followed me on twitter! Probably no big thing to anyone else but I'm pumped!!

Cool! I don't have Twitter. I do follow BRS and MD on FB, but for some odd reason I NEVER get updates from MD. Someone had to tell me when they featured my NC12 on there. :)

Cool! I don't have Twitter. I do follow BRS and MD on FB, but for some odd reason I NEVER get updates from MD. Someone had to tell me when they featured my NC12 on there. :)

It doesn't mean much to most people, but I really like BRS and MD so it was cool to be followed by them.

Baron von Algenfesser has been going to town... much of the hairY algae is gone (except on the zoas and gsp). Merle and his snail lackeys are taking care of the rest of the sand and glass.

Did a 4L water change tonight, swapped out the purigen, changed filter floss and vacuumed the sand a tiny bit. The gravel vac pulls a lot of sand away from the tank and 1g goes REAL fast.

Barry and Merle are doing their thing still. Baron von Algenfesser is avoiding the zoas that need attention though, little turd. I have a peanut worm for sure. I also have some kind of pods. Not amphipods, but pods. They're big enough to see them running around and they piss off my zoas, but they are not amphipods. They don't curl. They almost look like shrimp but they aren't.

I think I may try and increase flow by changing out the impeller back to the AC70 one. I think there is enough slime on the sandbed and the GSP is covering the area that has traditionally been scattered by the AC70. We'll see.

Coral look ok today. I'm not sure what color my Kenya tree is supposed to be, and I think it might be bleaching? It's hard to tell.

New ric looks pretty good, though it's not coloring up the way I thought. Green mouth, purple/blue body, a tad bit of orange on it that hasn't shown back up. Hammer is a bit smaller and tucked today, but I think it might have been due to the water change late last night.

20140219_074501.jpg

Zoas are doing better, thanks to Baron von Algenfesser. The eagle eyes (I think?) are always closed up big time at night, as the little gnat-like pod things harass them. I don't see any damage, but they are unhappy at night. During the day, they seem ok. There is even a 3rd small polyp forming! The other zoas are making their way out, too. Still a big of algae, but our green crustacean friend has been hard at work.

20140219_074449.jpg

I'm thinking I'm going to get some more rics, zoas and some palys and then let this thing grow out. I'm still deciding on acan, blasto or favias... I like acans but I hestitate only because of their aggression and as the flow is currently, the rics need to be where I was initially thinking acans, but I think acans could go over on the right rock depending on where I situate them. Thoughts?

I've decided I will not be using frag plugs anymore if I can help it. I'm going to use the caribsea rubble zone pieces. MD had a great review of them, and I love the idea of having rock pieces that can be moved around as needed. I think in the future, when I get coral, my first thing is going to be to dip them and immediately move the frag onto a rubble piece and then use that to acclimate and adjust the coral in the tank. I'm going to pick some rubble up and put it in my AC70 to start growing.

Kenya tree color is normal. It is supposed to be a nude/blush color coral. Unless you buy the green variety which is unmistakably green. Look how happy it is doc! You worry wart.

:happy: I worry a lot. I am happy with how it's going though. I just need to get into a routine. I really wish aquaticlog allowed for maintenance schedule. I think I'm going to add my weekly routine to my google calendar to stay on top of it.

Hmmm,

somehow I missed the fact you started a pico. Good luck, following along now. :)

Thanks for the follow :) Nothing much to see so far. Still working out the early-tank kinks, but I'm having fun!

I did a glass clean this morning before I left for work and there are copepods errrrrrrwhere. Good to see. I like that things are coming together for the tank and that I did have some hitchhikers afterall.

:happy: I worry a lot. I am happy with how it's going though. I just need to get into a routine. I really wish aquaticlog allowed for maintenance schedule. I think I'm going to add my weekly routine to my google calendar to stay on top of it.

Which routine?

Which routine?

Water changes, testing regularly, adding marine stabilizer (if needed). As of now it's typically WC on Sundays, marine stabilizer on Wed/Thurs (only sometimes), change out filter floss as needed, test when I feel like it (which is never).

So essentially just your water change on Sundays. You're funny.

Yeah, but if I don't have a designated time slot to set aside for those things, I get side tracked and end up doing work or house stuff instead.

Holy sh**, the IM 30L and stand costs 800 together? No light included? I was going to suggest that for my Dad, as he's interested in a salt tank and this one doesn't have the curved glass. Not now.

Holy sh**, the IM 30L and stand costs 800 together? No light included? I was going to suggest that for my Dad, as he's interested in a salt tank and this one doesn't have the curved glass. Not now.

Ya.. that is an expensive setup.

Ya.. that is an expensive setup.

I can see this with no light but a sump included. I just feel like AIOs that cost this much are kind of a cheat... 30g but you sacrifice a lot of display for the sake of it being contained. A stand sump and 30g tank with the overflow for 800 sure. Not this though.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived