Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

Or I could do QT and THEN turn it into a mantis tank. I won't be doing much QT at all after I get the first couple of fish. I plan on getting all the fish at the same time.

Go for it! The equipment won't absorb medicine or anything, right?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope. Just the plastics and stuff. And I don't plan on medicating unless I need to. I just want a place to monitor them, just in case.

Go for it! The equipment won't absorb medicine or anything, right?

Ok, this post is going to be what I link in the first post rather than rewriting the whole first post or starting a new thread...

The current plan for this pico is a small mantis tank! I need to replace the tank itself, as this current one is starting to give out, hence the upgrade to the IM Nuvo Fusion 10 (http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/350986-tibbsys-marine-microbe-haven-10g-im-fusion/).

A note, this is probably going to be a very slow build. Lots has to happen first.

I will pretty much have everything left over from this current pico except the tank, but a 5g tank from the lfs is like 15 bucks. My plan is to start this tank as a QT for the few fish I plan on buying for the Nuvo tank, but as I'm buying from a reputable online place, I'm not worried.

Once the IM is set and the fish are good to go, I'll turn this into a little 5g mantis habitat. I will use the current LR and some PVC to make a little hovel/burrow, add more sand, and get a mixture of macro for a little "forest"

Equipment:

5.5g tank

Coral Compulsion 14W 18K reef radiance bulb, gooseneck or lamp fixture

AC70 with AC30 impeller

InTank Mediabasket with activated carbon

25W heater, 78 degrees

DIY surface skimmer box

Livestock:

N. wennerae or G. smithii

Macro - various red and green

There are a couple of things to figure out. 1.) Whether or not I can keep this at work... 2.) whether I should use the Fluval Sea PS-1 skimmer I was given.

Tank looks great man, really enjoyed this thread.

I just got a 5 gallon Pico myself, but a square shaped (10"x10"x11"). Kinda wish I went the long route.

Thanks. I actually prefer cubes, myself. I think it's nice with such small tanks to get better flow without too much stuff. It feels more even and concentrated without the use of another big ol' powerhead in such small real estate. In the rectangle, with something like the AC70 the flow is super concentrated at one end and virtually non-existant at the other.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived