Coral Vue Hydros

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

The link is broken now, it wasn't yesterday. Yep, if they're ugly, or are Protopalythoa, then you're looking at something loaded with toxins.

I wouldn't worry about it, though, since you're not an idiot that's gonna try and rip anything off the rocks with your hands and without eye protection, or one that would take the phrase 'cook the rocks' a little too literally and bake or boil them, which would probably kill you lol

Weird, I still see it? Huh. I will think about it. I don't particularly love the look of these ones, I'd rather get some nicer and prettier ones.

jedimasterben

Actually, I had forgotten that the genus Protopalythoa is no longer valid, and all members have been moved to the Palythoa genus. A lot of the ugly palys are Palythoa mutuki or Palythoa grandiflora and contain highest concentrations of palytoxin. Palythoa sp. "singapura" also tend to have higher concentrations than normal, as do some strains of Palythoa grandis.

Here's a couple of links for identification: http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/150011-identify-zoanthids.html

http://www.saltyunderground.com/article_info.php?articles_id=52

They are the same color as my paly grandes I don't know if they are as large, the biggest one of mine is the size of a half dollar. If that is what they are that is a good deal. I know there is a few horror stories about people getting poisoned by them but usually it is because of an open cut on the finger or not washing their hands after messing in the tank. My friend had a nick on his finger when he was digging around in his tank and got a little reaction (six weeks of complaining) and he swore no more palys or zoas lmao that lasted for about 6 months now his tanks are full of them and he is wanting more.

Since you are dealing with such a small tank only get what you truly like to put in it, don't just fill it up to fill it up. No matter if it is a good deal or not if you don't truly like them it is a waste of your budget.

Actually, I had forgotten that the genus Protopalythoa is no longer valid, and all members have been moved to the Palythoa genus. A lot of the ugly palys are Palythoa mutuki or Palythoa grandiflora and contain highest concentrations of palytoxin. Palythoa sp. "singapura" also tend to have higher concentrations than normal, as do some strains of Palythoa grandis.

Here's a couple of links for identification: http://www.reefsmagazine.com/forum/reefs-magazine/150011-identify-zoanthids.html

http://www.saltyunderground.com/article_info.php?articles_id=52

I'll check these out. Thanks!

They are the same color as my paly grandes I don't know if they are as large, the biggest one of mine is the size of a half dollar. If that is what they are that is a good deal. I know there is a few horror stories about people getting poisoned by them but usually it is because of an open cut on the finger or not washing their hands after messing in the tank. My friend had a nick on his finger when he was digging around in his tank and got a little reaction (six weeks of complaining) and he swore no more palys or zoas lmao that lasted for about 6 months now his tanks are full of them and he is wanting more.

Since you are dealing with such a small tank only get what you truly like to put in it, don't just fill it up to fill it up. No matter if it is a good deal or not if you don't truly like them it is a waste of your budget.

I was thinking the same. My tank, my money and with such small real estate, I should get what I want not just buy for the sake of buying.

Why stay away?? I think I have some of those....

They have crashed peoples tank, you can do a search on this forum itself. Plus they are impossible to kill. Believe me I have tried. I am able to somewhat control them with a steady assault but they are hardier than a cockroach and will come back to life when you least expect it. I have epoxied over them, torn them (only a couple so as not to nuke the system) , injected them, super glued over them. They are aliez.

picture not showing up...

The link is broken now, it wasn't yesterday. Yep, if they're ugly, or are Protopalythoa, then you're looking at something loaded with toxins.

I wouldn't worry about it, though, since you're not an idiot that's gonna try and rip anything off the rocks with your hands and without eye protection, or one that would take the phrase 'cook the rocks' a little too literally and bake or boil them, which would probably kill you lol

Fixed the link, hopefully. It's still showing for me, but I used a different hosting site/link this time.

ha! now i can see it. aren't those grand palys? dont think i have any of those. they look just ok. i would get better looking palys / zoas. My fav palys are Magicians, Rainbows, and Sunny Ds.

Well, now it's firewalled for me lol :P

lol sorry ben, imgur is usually where I host things from other websites. I was trying using google+ last night as I've done that before here without issue (most of my phone pictures are from google+), but for some reason the link kept breaking?

ha! now i can see it. aren't those grand palys? dont think i have any of those. they look just ok. i would get better looking palys / zoas. My fav palys are Magicians, Rainbows, and Sunny Ds.

Yeah, I think the color is ok, but in reality I would prefer nicer palys if I'm going to get them. Especially if they are going to grow like crazy.

These are grandis palys

20131109_183355.jpg

I can see the picture now, these are common green palys. May not be the terrible ones but are still extremely hardy and hard to kill.

These are the ones

Fixed link:

6RVTXkF.jpg

These are grandis palys

20131109_183355.jpg

I can see the picture now, these are common green palys. May not be the terrible ones but are still extremely hardy and hard to kill.

Mmk, thanks. I'll probably hold off. For 15 bucks locally I can probably get some nice zoas, which I like more than palys anyways. I'll wait and find a nice paly that I think is worth the money. I've already got xenia, GSP and a kenya tree - I don't need something else that threatens to take over the tank! :D

I'm going to have to buy new salt soon. Should I stick with IO or should I swap to something else? If I'm going to switch, I'd prefer to do so before I HAVE to make new salt, so that I have some of the old salt that I can use as well to make the transition easier on my livestock. Thoughts?

thesmallerthebetter

youll get mixed opinions on salt mixes. i use Reef Crystals exclusively now (i can purchase order it by the thousand pounds from aquaticecosystems).

but before i was dealing with such large volumes i liked Reef Crystals for large water changes or new tanks and then switched to Oceanic for make up water for the significant alk boost as my tanks tended to lose alk faster than calc. (and i didn't dose except for maybe a bit of baking soda in the top off)

youll get mixed opinions on salt mixes. i use Reef Crystals exclusively now (i can purchase order it by the thousand pounds from aquaticecosystems).

but before i was dealing with such large volumes i liked Reef Crystals for large water changes or new tanks and then switched to Oceanic for make up water for the significant alk boost as my tanks tended to lose alk faster than calc. (and i didn't dose except for maybe a bit of baking soda in the top off)

Gotcha. It seems that many people use Reef Crystals or Red Sea. Both are ~pricey compared to the IO I've been using, but if they are worth it, then spending a bit more for good salt doesn't bother me.

Also - for those intank AC70 media basket users - if there is water coming back out of the HOB from where the intake tube is (i.e. not where it should be coming out) is that because the filter floss is too much? Should I put less in the mediabasket

i get my Reef Crystals from Dr. Foster and Smith. It's not tooo bad. I go for the 200 gallon box which comes with 4 50 gallon bags.

Word. For this pico, I do pretty small water changes. A 50g bag would be about 1/2 year to a years worth.

I would really like to find a 5g cube tank. I know PicO is making one soon - I'll probably wait to see how much the naked 5.5g is going to be. The new NanoBox/Synergy tanks are nice, especially for their price, but I don't want acrylic and I don't want a rim (especially with all the colors and stuff).

Oh hi, Tibbsy, I like your tank! :wub:

Thread needs more pics tho. :flower:

Thanks, Lani :D I need more stuff to take pictures of. I've hoping this weekend to pick up some more stuff - a few zoas, maybe a new ric.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived