Innovative Marine Aquariums

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

All I want to do today is get more coral and look at my tank... Why is work so long????

Thought - I really like tailspot blennies. Maybe I'll get one in my next tank?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So this is a possible layout of the coral

nj4pcH2.png

I've been reading up on coral care and it seems that rics and hammers prefer moderate flow, so I'm going to move them to the smaller left rock (orange is ric and teal is hammer) where they will get some flow and good light, but not be blasted.

I'm leaving the GSP where it is (hence, it's not circled). The Xenia (in black) I'm thinking of one of two places. I kind of like the left-most position, where it will get moderate-high flow and tons of light, but I also want to see it pulsing, not just blasting around in the water flow.

The Kenya tree (pinkish) I read likes good flow, so I'm going to move it to the right rock on the upper left.

The smaller zoas (white), I was thinking could go just under the kenya tree on the small outcropping, though I now wonder if the kenya down lower and the zoas up higher would work better?

The larger zoas (light-orange), I was thinking of putting on the farthest right outcropping.

Any suggestions?

Also - for feeding, what do folks recommend? I was thinking just a coral snow kind of thing, just turn off the pumps, do some spot feeding and some just into the water.

It looks fantastic!!!!!

I like all of your coral placement plans. The only thing I would do differently is leave the kenya tree where it currently is. It will totally fill in that whole area back there. They get tall and in that position it will have plenty of room. Just a suggestion :).

I feel like I'm always suggestion live phyto....but I just love the stuff :). That and fish poop will be great for your tank :happy:.

It looks fantastic!!!!!

I like all of your coral placement plans. The only thing I would do differently is leave the kenya tree where it currently is. It will totally fill in that whole area back there. They get tall and in that position it will have plenty of room. Just a suggestion :).

I feel like I'm always suggestion live phyto....but I just love the stuff :). That and fish poop will be great for your tank :happy:.

I have to make a decision on placement soon. I need to get the rock/frag plugs out. I'm going to have to remove the GSP, I think, and put it on something else. Seems I have a diatom bloom or something... I'm concerned about what this means. All my parameters have been stable for weeks. Was my tank not actually cycled? There is some on the base of the kenya tree, too.

20140210_185025.jpg

It also seems I have a few hitch hikers buried away. I knew I had a brittle star that came in with the xenia/kenya tree plug. I have a couple of bristle worms and a sea star of some kind.

20140210_185009.jpg

20140210_185119.jpg

The zoas on the far right still aren't loving me. The first day they were so open and happy. Since last night, they've been half-open or closed. Maybe they aren't getting enough light or flow there? Should I move them?

20140210_184925.jpg

I also realized that instead of using the DI water from the store, I may as well use the DI line from work. I can't use the RO/DI ultrapure water at work, because we have to pay for our own filters here, so I'd be harming our lab in the long run. The regular DI line, though, is totally free-flowing. I can use it for the 1g/week water changes I want, plus a few gallons a month for topping off. No more spending money at the grocery store for me!

I'm bringing 50ml of it back home tomorrow to test the basic parameters to make sure it's good to go.

Zoas are unhappy again this morning. Everything else looks good, though. I've noticed some stringy stuff on the zoas in question. It's not really white, it reminds me of dust caught in a spider's silk strand. But it's all around the base. I think I'm going to re-dip it in melafix, maybe leave it for a bit longer than before. I could always try H2O2, I suppose.

I'm going to get risky and try and remove the frag plugs/rocks this evening and get the coral down on the actual rock. I want to eliminate the diatoms, if possible. The biggest culprit is the GSP rock, so I think I'm going to do that first. There seems to be some algae on the rock, as well, so I think that's going to be a big source of headaches in the future.

Tibbs,

I move my zoas around until they seem happy for a week or two before I mount them. They are all over the place in terms of light and flow tolerance. My Tubbs Blue's seem to be especially problematic and light-shy. Might help for you to experiment with placement like the scientist you are! :D

Diatoms should be self limiting, and your snails should snort that stuff up. You can rinse/scrub as well (recommend out of tank for this) if you get impatient. I just let it be and let my tank do its thing.

Looking good!

Zoas are unhappy again this morning. Everything else looks good, though. I've noticed some stringy stuff on the zoas in question. It's not really white, it reminds me of dust caught in a spider's silk strand. But it's all around the base. I think I'm going to re-dip it in melafix, maybe leave it for a bit longer than before. I could always try H2O2, I suppose.

I'm going to get risky and try and remove the frag plugs/rocks this evening and get the coral down on the actual rock. I want to eliminate the diatoms, if possible. The biggest culprit is the GSP rock, so I think I'm going to do that first. There seems to be some algae on the rock, as well, so I think that's going to be a big source of headaches in the future.

Tibbs,

I move my zoas around until they seem happy for a week or two before I mount them. They are all over the place in terms of light and flow tolerance. My Tubbs Blue's seem to be especially problematic and light-shy. Might help for you to experiment with placement like the scientist you are! :D

Diatoms should be self limiting, and your snails should snort that stuff up. You can rinse/scrub as well (recommend out of tank for this) if you get impatient. I just let it be and let my tank do its thing.

Looking good!

Thanks! I don't have any snails or CUC yet... I'm thinking I need to get over to ReefCleaners and grab some.

Good idea on the zoas. I'm going to do a quick dip of them in melafix just in case, and to help remove that crud.

Thanks! I don't have any snails or CUC yet... I'm thinking I need to get over to ReefCleaners and grab some.

Good idea on the zoas. I'm going to do a quick dip of them in melafix just in case, and to help remove that crud.

Oh dude...go to local store and get yerself a few snails. They will mop that ish up quick like...then you can stock us at RC (highly recommended...John M is GREAT!) at your leisure.

Good luck with zoas, and thanks for the comment on my thread.

Good luck in the lab.

jedimasterben

The diatoms will come and go - your tank will probably go through 'the uglies' for up to 6-8 months after the initial nitrogen cycle gets established. It's just what tanks go through, and some are worse than others. From the pics above yours isn't bad, but may get worse, may get better, only time will tell. Cerith snails eat diatoms.

Oh dude...go to local store and get yerself a few snails. They will mop that ish up quick like...then you can stock us at RC (highly recommended...John M is GREAT!) at your leisure.

Good luck with zoas, and thanks for the comment on my thread.

Good luck in the lab.

Snails here are about $2 a pop. RC prices are way better, but it still may just be good to get 1 or 2 snails for now. I used RC for my 12g a while back. Loved them :)

Thanks for tagging along in here and your advice - it is appreciated. Microbiologist pico owners ftw!

The diatoms will come and go - your tank will probably go through 'the uglies' for up to 6-8 months after the initial nitrogen cycle gets established. It's just what tanks go through, and some are worse than others. From the pics above yours isn't bad, but may get worse, may get better, only time will tell. Cerith snails eat diatoms.

Great to know - Thanks Ben!

This is what the one zoa colony is doing... If it's not doing this, it's totally closed. You can kind of see the stringy-stuff.

20140210_185043.jpg

I don't think it's fungus, it comes off if I use a turkey baster hard enough. It also wasn't doing this at the LFS, nor did it do it for the first day, another reason I think maybe it's just something that is bugging the frag rather than an infection/illness. i don't know.

So I did a melafix dip tonight for the larger zoas, the kenya/xenia, and the GSP.

The Kenya tree has this little white-feathery-algae thing near it, to the lower left. They have popped up in a few places in the tank. What are they?

20140211_192132.jpg

There are also some alien looking feathery things. Not aiptasia but it looks like a little white match standing vertically with a few strands off of it. I don't have a camera that can get them, they are really tiny.

20140211_192243.jpg

I blasted off the zoas and got a BUNCH of crud off in the melafix dip (picture below), but the zoas have this white stuff on them. Is this a disease?

My GSP has got some white crud in between the polyps, and what looks like brown hair algae starting to grow on the rocks. I hope it's not dino... You can see it to the right of the rock. I think I'm going to take the GSP off the rock and glue it on something.

20140211_192151.jpg

This is all the crud I blasted off in the melafix dip

20140211_192857.jpg

I really want to figure out where I want to put my corals. Even if I do all but the zoas... I'm trying to balance out what looks good, what I want to do later, and what is best for the coral.

this might help...

http://www.zoaid.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_itemId=384

have you tried reVive coral dip?

I believe melafix and revive are similar. Guy at the LFS (who did not have either for sale) said they were. I know other folks use it.

Thanks for the link! The alien things are hydroids it seems. Also, the starfish is a large asterina. Time to remove that sucker. I have seen some amphipods, perhaps those and diatoms on the zoas are making them irritable?

Your tank is getting used to a bioload. The stringy stuff could well be diatoms. Don;t dip again till they open up.

Roger that. Thanks, Kat

Saw a tiny tiny little shrimp running about tonight. Actually looked like a baby mantis. Definitely not an amphipod, likely just some small harmless shrimp

Neither of my zoas are happy today. The eagle eyes (the small frag I think is an eagle eye colony) are open, but not all the way. The other colony (I think they are green bay packers) I have higher up on the right rock so that the water flow is higher, and they were totally closed this morning. The diatoms are starting to creep up onto the zoas, so I wonder if that's partly what's irritating them. I hope they open up soon, as being open would shield the light from their stalks and hinder the diatom bloom on them... Silly zoas. Should I feed them?

I'm going to do a water change soon, too. I was going to have Thursday be my weekly water change day, with Sunday or Monday be the day I add the small amount of marine stabilizer.

Everything else looks happy. I'm definitely removing the GSP from the rock tonight and gluing it on something. There is GHA for sure on that rock, and I do not want that in the tank. I think most of the coral is happy enough for me to go ahead and start gluing.

Here is an updated plan (ignore the zoas, as I'm not messing with them until they open back up):

cgO7L8g.png

I'm thinking of putting the Kenya tree on the back/top of the rear piece of the small island. This provides a good flow area and plenty of light, as well as growing up space.

The xenia I'm going to put in the front of that rock. Plenty of flow/light, but space to grow, plus access for me to trip/remove as necessary.

I'm going to put the hammer just above where it is now on the rock. It seems to be happy with the flow/light here. This small island then has room for acans or blastos or favias later.

The GSP I think I'm going to put on the rear right rock. Plenty of flow and light, and easy to remove if I need.

The ricordea I'm going to put on the inside of the lower left of the right island. Enough light and flow for it, but not TOO much.

The zoas will eventually end up along the top ridge for flow's sake.

Thoughts?

GSP will cover the rock it is on and creep on the rock it is glued to. I personally like GSP but it could take over the small real estate you have. If you don't mind that then it will look good there.

3 of your coral choices are considered invasive: kenya tree, GSP, Xenia. I have or have had all 3 and did not have a problem controlling them. But you will find posts of people cursing themselves for putting those in their tank. Maybe you need a beating stick too? :lol:

GSP will cover the rock it is on and creep on the rock it is glued to. I personally like GSP but it could take over the small real estate you have. If you don't mind that then it will look good there.

3 of your coral choices are considered invasive: kenya tree, GSP, Xenia. I have or have had all 3 and did not have a problem controlling them. But you will find posts of people cursing themselves for putting those in their tank. Maybe you need a beating stick too? :lol:

My wife has a beating stick, so there is only room enough for one in the house ;)

The GSP/xenia/kenya I know are crazy growers, but I don't mind having to trim them. Kenya tree at least. the GSP I'm getting rid of most of the frag/rock, only taking a small piece of it that isn't covered in diatoms/white crud. I might actually take the rear left rock that used to be in front of the right island (the one with the red algae), and put the GSP on that, moving the red algae to another spot.

Other than that does the placement seem reasonable?

Some updated shots. I think my placement plans of the ric, xenia, hammer coral, and kenya tree are spot on. They are all looking great today.

20140212_161809.jpg

The GSP looks good, but then again, GSP grows anywhere, so... Definitely some GHA/BHA showing. I am still debating between putting the GSP on the back right rock, or gluing it to that movable rock piece that currently has the red algae rubber-banded to it. I'll decide tonight when I do it.

20140212_161912.jpg

I moved the zoas up to have more flow, but they're still unhappy. I think it's the brown junk. Hopefully the tank will adjust soon and I'll get to see these pretty guys!

20140212_161927.jpg

Tank's looking good Tibbs! Hammer is awesome! You'll have 2 heads in no time. :)

As for the zoas, stop moving them for a while and see what happens. Probably a little stressed. W-

Tank's looking good Tibbs! Hammer is awesome! You'll have 2 heads in no time. :)

As for the zoas, stop moving them for a while and see what happens. Probably a little stressed. W-

Thanks! That seems to be the best option for the zoas. Time to leave them be for a bit.

Any thoughts on the rest of my placement ideas? I've never actually glued corals TO the rocks before, so I'm a bit hesitant to do so as I may want to change positions later.

Thanks! That seems to be the best option for the zoas. Time to leave them be for a bit.

Any thoughts on the rest of my placement ideas? I've never actually glued corals TO the rocks before, so I'm a bit hesitant to do so as I may want to change positions later.

I like where you have things. Place them for a week or two, see how they do and if all good, then glue. And if you can, take off of plugs, etc. Like others have said (Kat, Gena) Kenya and Xenia are good in corners so they can spread out.

I like keeping zoas low to mid height. I placed my GSP upper mid as it likes flow and looks cool when moving. My hammer is in a similar place as yours and has gone from 2 heads to 6! I also keep my torch mid level for better flow and it loves it! Adding a second torch from glennr1978 next week.

I have tried to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible and it seems to be working. :)

Good luck Tibbs! W-

I like where you have things. Like others have said (Kat, Gena) Kenya and Xenia are good in corners so they can spread out.

I like keeping zoas low to mid height. I placed my GSP upper mid as it likes flow and looks cool when moving. My hammer is in a similar place as yours and has gone from 2 heads to 6! I also keep my torch mid level for better flow and it loves it! Adding a second torch from glennr1978 next week.

I have tried to keep my hands out of the tank as much as possible and it seems to be working. :)

Good luck Tibbs! W-

Good to know - thanks! I have a couple of ideas. I'm going to plan a bit more before I cut/glue.

Legendary Corals

As some people pointed out, the zoas are getting grown with algae. There's a lot of great responses already on this thread.

I recommend turkey basting the zoas often to help get rid of the algae. Rather than placing them higher up to filter, I think a koralia would do a much better job and be more beneficial for the tank. Placing them higher up also would encourage the algae to grow on them since it's higher lighting. Just my 2c!

I'd def grab some snails/CUC to help combat the algae. But it doesn't look that bad, I've definitely seen worse algae blooms (my tank for one LOL).

As some people pointed out, the zoas are getting grown with algae. There's a lot of great responses already on this thread.

I recommend turkey basting the zoas often to help get rid of the algae. Rather than placing them higher up to filter, I think a koralia would do a much better job and be more beneficial for the tank. Placing them higher up also would encourage the algae to grow on them since it's higher lighting. Just my 2c!

I'd def grab some snails/CUC to help combat the algae. But it doesn't look that bad, I've definitely seen worse algae blooms (my tank for one LOL).

I'll give the koralia nano another try, it just seemed to make the hammer/kenya tree unhappy. I suppose I could try and put the koralia near the AC70 and have it blast water that way? I'm trying to balance high flow and moderate flow corals in the tank. Do you think putting the koralia to the far left of the tank pointing towards the right ( [--->__________] ) would work well? The hammer and ricordea seem to like moderate and low flow, respectively. I know where I can put the ric to keep the flow down, but the hammer will always be near some level of flow... I'll see what I can work out.

Makes sense about the lighting, though. I'm going to cut and place some of the coral tonight after the lights go out so they can adjust in the dark. I'm leaving the zoas alone, though I may shift the one frag down. One of the heads has opened, and the others are doing this squeeze thing where a few of the green tendrils are out, but they are mostly closed.

I'll definitely get some snails. My LFS sells snails, but I may got with RC. My wife wants an emerald crab. Would that be ok?

Put some coral around the tank, went the glue>epoxy>glue route.

20140212_193459.jpg

The koralia nano 240 has been added again, but is not on currently. I want the coral to adjust to the new position/light first.

I put the kenya tree on the back left, where it will get plenty of flow and light.

20140212_193515.jpg

Xenia has been moved to the other side of the tank in the rear where there is a ton of flow/light.

20140212_193546.jpg

I glued the hammer pretty much where it was before. The koralia will provide some more flow, but hopefully the hammer will be ok.

20140212_193511.jpg

The yuma is REALLY small and I had some trouble gluing it down. I'm afraid I've damaged it beyond repair, but hopefully my lab-hands and surgery-hands have given me steadiness that will allow the ric to live. I glued it down on this forward piece of the tank. It was really happy in the sand just below that spot, so I figured keeping it here would be great.

20140212_193507.jpg

I also trimmed the rock that the GSP is on. I pretty much cut away ALL of the GHA/BHA/diatom covered pieces and lost some of the GSP. I put it back where it was, a much smaller rock. It should recover nicely.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived