Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

Glass lid is a no go. Hardware store's glass cutter is broken. I bought a new glass cutter and tried to diy again. Broke the glass and cut my finger. At this point i've spent 20 bucks on this and that's what the deep blue lid costs on amazon... <_<

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glass lid is a no go. Hardware store's glass cutter is broken. I bought a new glass cutter and tried to diy again. Broke the glass and cut my finger. At this point i've spent 20 bucks on this and that's what the deep blue lid costs on amazon... <_<

That's the way it goes sometimes!

That's the way it goes sometimes!

Right? lol

I still don't LOVE the deep blue rim - I don't really like the plastic hinge or the rear plastic cut-away. I'd prefer if the lid was totally glass. I'm going to Home Depot tonight (Lowe's is the place that has the broken glass cutter) to see if they can cut a rectangular piece of glass for me. I know they can't do the little cut out that I want, but I'd rather have the lid I want and have a bit of extra room for evaporation than have all that plastic all over the lid...

I also drilled a hole in the AC70 cover so that my heater fits in, so I've covered the AC70, which will help reduce evaporation, too. I think both lids will help with my temperature issues, too.

My damn sand is STILL being moved around the bottom of the tank. It's bare bottom in a few places... ugh.

More thoughts to write down:

So Kat and Ben and JBB brought up some great points in Kat's thread yesterday.

Drilling a 5g to a sump seems kind of silly - why not go bigger tank? I have to agree with them all. If I'm going to drill a tank and sump it, I may as well go with something like a 10g. To that same end, a NanoBox Mono is 350 and comes with the controller. The Tide with a controller is 300. I may as well go with the mono and a 10g when I upgrade.

Can't you return those glass cutters to Lowe's? I've returned some stuff after using it once or twice.

I'm going to take them back tomorrow. Hopefully they'll take them back.

Today was the day of lid failure. I went to a LFS and they had really bad SW livestock. Ich and such. They did have good hardware though, including glass lids for 5.5g tanks. I bought one for 12 bucks, got it home and opened the box, realized the hinge was smoke vinyl, tried it on the tank and watched unhappily as a shadow was cast. Returned it. Went to home depot. They don't cut glass anymore. Went back to Lowe's. Their glass cutter is down for the count. Went to the only other hardware store that's close and they don't have glass or a cutter. Womp womp.

Got my first frags tonight! Spent 57 bucks, got a hammer coral, a small orange yuma, a kenya tree, some pulsing xenia, 2 different zoas, and a hunk of GSP. Picked up some melafix on the way home from the LFS (great place called The Reef Farm - coral greenhouse/aquaculture place).

I dipped all the corals in melafix, and put them in the tank without the lights on. They're unhappy right now, but hopefully they'll come out soon. I made a big mistake - I have a small cut on my finger and I handled the zoas with my cut hand... I only touched their frag base not the actual polyps, and they are small so hopefully the palytoxin thing is rare enough that I don't end up with any weird problems. I will just have to wait it out, I guess.

I turned the light on for a picture, but everyone is hidden away. I'll get a better picture later. Xenia and kenya tree are to the far left, the yuma is on the oyster shell, the hammer is in the very center, the zoas are to the right/far right and in between is some GSP I picked up. I found a brittle star with the kenya/xenia rock, so that's been added for diversity. They threw in some red flame macro algae. I've got it rubber banded in the back. If I end up not liking it, I'll remove it.

20140208_191240.jpg

This is gonna be so sweet!

Glad to hear things are looking up in the lab...we should talk some time about what you do with nasty bugs.

Thanks x2! I'm still alive so the palytoxin was likely not a thing. The corals are not happy at all. Still closed up big time.

As far as lab I'm working on C. difficile, specifically colonization and toxin production. I did MRSA vaccine work for grad school.

From the reading I have done, the paly toxin thing seems correlate with either fragging or trying to erradicate it. Pouring boiling water over a rock and sticking your head over it is apparently a no-no.

Cool stuff! Doing any genomics work, or strictly phenotypic stuff?

From the reading I have done, the paly toxin thing seems correlate with either fragging or trying to erradicate it. Pouring boiling water over a rock and sticking your head over it is apparently a no-no.

Cool stuff! Doing any genomics work, or strictly phenotypic stuff?

I did mainly animal models, but i did some molecular work with site directed mutagenesis, cloning, etc. Now i'm doing more molecular work designing and making plasmids, mutant vectors, transforming strains, reporter assays, qPCR. Lots of stuff.

I did mainly animal models, but i did some molecular work with site directed mutagenesis, cloning, etc. Now i'm doing more molecular work designing and making plasmids, mutant vectors, transforming strains, reporter assays, qPCR. Lots of stuff.

All good stuff for your tool chest. If I ever make is south of DC we are going to have to tip a pint or two while we talk shop.

Don't you have any glass and mirror shops in town? That's where I get all of my tops cut and they grind all the edges for me so that they are not sharp and even rounded corners for my bent glass tanks.

Alteratively you can also try custom window manufacturer's.

Big box hardware stores don't have the specialty for glass.

Don't you have any glass and mirror shops in town? That's where I get all of my tops cut and they grind all the edges for me so that they are not sharp and even rounded corners for my bent glass tanks.

Alteratively you can also try custom window manufacturer's.

Big box hardware stores don't have the specialty for glass.

Yeah, I think I'm going to go with a glass shop. I just have to find one.

All good stuff for your tool chest. If I ever make is south of DC we are going to have to tip a pint or two while we talk shop.

Definitely.

My corals have opened! THe pulsing xenia and the kenya tree are REALLY close because they are on the plug together, and I don't think the xenia love it. I'm going to move them apart at some point, but I need to look up care for each to figure out flow/light needs.

The ricordea is the same - tiny tiny little yuma, hard to tell if it just doesn't want to come out or if it's damaged.

Hammer coral looks good, but I moved it a bit more left (not in the picture) to keep it out of the direct light in the center.

20140209_083210.jpg

20140209_083222.jpg

The smaller colony of zoas is sort of half-out. I've moved them over near the other zoas. The GSP is mainly out, there are a few bits who have decided to sleep in a bit.

20140209_083203.jpg

Woohoo...you have coral!!!! :) Nice selections too!!!!

When will you get a fish?

Hopefully this weekend. The LFS I went to yesterday only has coral. The other one I went to for the lid, etc. had a YCG for 12 bucks, but most of the fish had ich and other dead fish in the tanks. There is another place (the place I got most of my hardware) that sells YCG for 7 and their fish are healthy. It's just like 40 minutes away (as most are) in the opposite direction of the LFS I went to yesterday

So this is a possible layout of the coral

nj4pcH2.png

I've been reading up on coral care and it seems that rics and hammers prefer moderate flow, so I'm going to move them to the smaller left rock (orange is ric and teal is hammer) where they will get some flow and good light, but not be blasted.

I'm leaving the GSP where it is (hence, it's not circled). The Xenia (in black) I'm thinking of one of two places. I kind of like the left-most position, where it will get moderate-high flow and tons of light, but I also want to see it pulsing, not just blasting around in the water flow.

The Kenya tree (pinkish) I read likes good flow, so I'm going to move it to the right rock on the upper left.

The smaller zoas (white), I was thinking could go just under the kenya tree on the small outcropping, though I now wonder if the kenya down lower and the zoas up higher would work better?

The larger zoas (light-orange), I was thinking of putting on the farthest right outcropping.

Any suggestions?

Also - for feeding, what do folks recommend? I was thinking just a coral snow kind of thing, just turn off the pumps, do some spot feeding and some just into the water.

great layout and good choices of corals... id love to see some multi colored blastos in there someday :)

Thanks! I'd love blastos and acans at some point. I'm taking it easy with the softies, first :D

Zoas are still unhappy... The little ones look like they do above, open but not fully. The other plug has been closed up since last night around 7pm...

Kenya tree will spread out/inflate and also drop babies when it is happy. Wherever you choose to glue it keep that in mind. If you put it lower it will hide the corals on the rocks above it. You could consider putting it towards the back/side of the tank, leaving the front for the acans and blastos you want.

Same thing with the xenia.

Kenya tree will spread out/inflate and also drop babies when it is happy. Wherever you choose to glue it keep that in mind. If you put it lower it will hide the corals on the rocks above it. You could consider putting it towards the back/side of the tank, leaving the front for the acans and blastos you want.

Same thing with the xenia.

Thanks! So maybe the kenya tree on the upper back of the right rock?

Do you think the xenia would do well on that left rock in the back?

I was reading that acans and hammers will sting other coral - so I want to give them (or the possibility of them) enough room to not mess with other coral. I'm trying to rethink my ricordea placement idea now.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived