Innovative Marine Aquariums

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

can it be cooked?

The people stuff or the mame skimmer? ;)

No it can't be cooked. It has to be "raw" but, again, you don't have to eat it like food. It could be "fed" to you via a tube directly into your stomach/small intestine. Also, assume no fecal contamination that would make you sick.

Treatment of consuming humans who have died from disease: Protection from disease, saved from death

Not having that treatment: Death from disease or almost guarantee that you would get disease, which is lethal.

I need to get more flow in the tank, I think. I know the ric prefers lower flow and in such a small tank I don't know where I would put it with more flow. I cleaned the glass tonight and I noticed that the bubbles and detritus in the water column on the whole left side of the tank basically sit there. Only minor flow. Not sure what to do

The yuma has returned! Turns out it locked onto the rock right behind the kenya tree and is doing ok!!

Any advice on my flow? I may open up a thread in the filtration forum.

Try pointing your your powerhead towards the surface a little and have the flow bounce off the glass.

Also, try the powerhead in a back corner and point it towards the opposite front corner. Flow will dissipate across and
bounce off the glass. W-

I'll try that. The koralia sort of points where it wants. I'm going to ride over to the pet store and see if they have something that might do this better.

LFS only had the aqueon 500gph poqerhead and the aquaclear20 powerhead (160gph). I really would like to find a way to use the koralia nano 240 that I already have though

Clearly my flow is an issue. The AC70 is getting crud on the output area:

20140223_151143.jpg

I wonder if the media in the back is killing the flow? I have the chemipure elite and purigen crammed down in the lower of the media box, with phosguard above. I might try and switch them around to force water through them, but allow more overall flow.

My ricordea looks unhappy this morning. I can't tell if it's flow or light related

20140224_081937.jpg

The new PicO Aquariums are the hotness. Oh goodness. A little 5 gallon AIO would make both me and my wife very happy... Especially her if there is an option for a stand with the tank. Combine that with the nanobox and a good water unit, and I'd be the happiest boy alive. Time to start saving!

You know, in my 20 I have some rics that look happy, expanding, splitting, and some that look just ok, and a couple that look really mad. I'm not sure if you can judge with just a single ric. :)

You know, in my 20 I have some rics that look happy, expanding, splitting, and some that look just ok, and a couple that look really mad. I'm not sure if you can judge with just a single ric. :)

My ricordeas inflate and deflate all the time. They will curl up into a bubble at night sometimes too. Mushrooms are weird.

Gotcha. Thanks guys! I'm still debating flow. I really dislike how there is almost no flow in the rear corner. I know i'll end up with cyano or something because of it, but the coral seem ok? I also don't have tons of real estate for that koralia.

I never thought I'd ever be interested in designer clowns - I've always felt they were "meh" to say the least, especially considering the cost of them. This, however, has made me rethink the whole idea...

http://reefbuilders.com/2014/02/24/peace-keeper-maroon-clownfish/

I don't know how much they'll cost or if I'd ever REALLY be willing to spend this kind of money on a fish, but these fish look amazing to me.

Those fish look terrible IMHO

Aw man, you're crazy! ;) I really like the pattern for some reason. Usually designer clown patterns bore me. I doubt I'll ever spend money on these - probably cost WAY more than they should.

haha, i have to agree. they look like scary "i am gonna jump out and slash your throat at night" clownfish

:D That's what I like about them.

Did a water change last night, put the ac70 impeller back in and switched the media basket components around to allow more flow. So far everything seems happy except the hammer. It's being cautious. I may end up putting the ac30 impeller back in. I have the flow on max with the ac30 impeller (150gph) but on minimal qith the ac70 impeller (cranking water still). I want more flow than I had. Nanotopia has about 450 gph in her 7.5, about 60x water turnover. With the ac30 impeller I have about 27.3... blargh. I just have to be patient while I sweetspot my flow.

I've been reading a recent thread here in the pico subforums about water changes in a pico. Currently, I do weekly water changes of 4L, so ~25%. A number of people are saying they do more than that, like 50% water changes or more. Should I bump my water changes to 50%? That's 8-9L of water to change a week. Maybe I should do 4L changes 2 times a week instead?

Excited to check out the tank tonight when I get home from work. I really hope everything is doing ok with the extra flow. Sandeep's tank is brilliant and only uses an AC30 stock with a sponge and activated carbon - I have no idea how that tank is so damn gorgeous and the flow is perfect. Why in the world can't I get mine to do that??

Snail or crab knocked over my ric so it was upside down and ready to let go of the rock it was on. No idea how long... hopefully it'll recover without too much problem.

I really would like to get a moon light of some kind. I usually don't get home from work until 6-7 and my light goes off at 7pm. I don't get too see it much.

I'm going to pm Sandeep and see if the pico guru has any ideas for me

Sandeep got back to me and offered some great insight. K.I.S.S. which I often tell others, but can't seem to listen to myself...

The Coral were happy with the AC30 impeller in the AC70, not with the stock impeller. Why change it? The AC70 now has the 30 impeller back in it.

Sandeep also recommended I change my chemical filtration, suggesting only to use activated carbon. Purigen in combination with phosguard is essentially the same as CPE - at least they are redundant in function. I am running both 100ml Purigen with a tablespoon or so of phosguard AND 6.5 oz CPE. Kat had suggested at one point that I was making my system ULNS, and it wasn't a good idea. Sandeep confirmed. I removed the purigen and phosguard, and have kept the CPE in for now. I'm just going to let it ride.

Weekly water changes of 4L, adding the marine stabilizer as needed 1x every week or two. Light on from 7am to 7pm. I'll use the CPE for now, but once it's done, I'm going to go back to purigen and maybe phosguard if I get a spike of phosphates.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived