Cultivated Reef

tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

tibbsy07

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

cute!

Remove a bit of water to let the flowing water from the filter have more of a drop so that water in the tank gets oxygenated more. Will help with the bacterial bloom.

Ah, thanks! I'll do that when I get home tonight.

Yahoooo!!!!! Looks great! Love your scape too - makes the tank look really big and lots of room for fish and corals :)

Thank you :) I'm pretty pleased - more than I thought I was going to be.

Looking good man. Glad to see you're finally up and running again

Thanks - I'm glad to have the tank ready for life. I love microbes, but they're not much fun to look at in a tank ;)

I'm wondering if I should do a glass canopy for my tank? Deep Blue makes one specifically for this tank, but I'm not sure? I was planning on cutting my AC70 lid to fit the heater, but I wonder if the glass lid would be problematic for the little tank?

i cant think of a reason why a lid would be bad. it would keep heat in, evap to a minimum.does Deep Blue make one with a cutout for the AC?

Their lid is 16x8, so I don't think there is a cut out, but they also supply HOB filters, so I'd think there would be some kind of cut out? They come with a clear "cut to fit back splash" so I assume that's what I'd do?

Personally I find that even on my 16g the evap is pretty high which impacts the salinity a lot faster so if I could get a glass top for mine I would.

Personally I find that even on my 16g the evap is pretty high which impacts the salinity a lot faster so if I could get a glass top for mine I would.

Yeah, I noticed this morning there is already like .3-.5 gallons that need to be topped off. I will probably pick up a glass lid - I'm just always wary of how well the light gets through. I guess in such a small tank, I shouldn't have any issues.

Honestly I think the evaporation would be a bigger problem than any light penetration you might have from the lid.

Yeah, you're probably correct. I'll order one this weekend.

Here I am, sitting in lab (again), and all I want to do is tinker with my tank and get some coral... I think my wife wants me to get the yellow clown goby first. Do you think the ycg and a thing of GSP and some small zoas would be too much too quickly for this tank?

I didn't know if that would be too much bioload for a 5g all at once? I suppose the corals wouldn't be an issue. I'm still figuring a CUC.

jedimasterben

The only way bioload increases is if feeding increases. A clown goby can't eat a whole lot, so realistically they add almost no bioload. I added a 4-5" rabbitfish to my system but didn't increase the bioload because I didn't feed any more than I was already.

So don't sweat it :)

The only way bioload increases is if feeding increases. A clown goby can't eat a whole lot, so realistically they add almost no bioload. I added a 4-5" rabbitfish to my system but didn't increase the bioload because I didn't feed any more than I was already.

So don't sweat it :)

Word. Thanks! Should I do the CUC before I get anything else or add the CUC later after I have some life in the tank? I don't have any hitchhikers, which is kind of sad, but not surprising.

jedimasterben

A cleanup crew is needed only when algae is present - no algae means dead cleanup crew, so I'd hold off until the 'uglies' hit lol

Good call. I'll test my water when I get home today and if it's good to go (it should be by now) I'm going to check out some local places for YCG and maybe a local reefer for some colonies of something.

Water parameters:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

pH: 8.3

Temp: 76 :(

Salinity: 1.013 :(

Ca: <300 :(

Mg: 1000

dKH: ~7

No bueno. Water needs some fixin...

No bueno. Water needs some fixin...

No worries, Buddy. It is a process. I imagine regular, moderate volume water changes will see it right. Something in your tank is sucking up minerals but I imagine it will saturate quickly (if it is not already is).

If you have a little two part, you can start catching up on the CA/Alk immediately.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

No worries, Buddy. It is a process. I imagine regular, moderate volume water changes will see it right. Something in your tank is sucking up minerals but I imagine it will saturate quickly (if it is not already is).

If you have a little two part, you can start catching up on the CA/Alk immediately.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thanks! I have the Instant Ocean marine stabilizer (thanks Kat!) which will bring my Ca/Alk/Mg back up. I think a major water change will help, too.

Just do a 100% water change since nothing is in there :)

That's my plan! I've got to - the salinity is too low.

Does anyone know if the glass lily pipe style overflow setups can be used with a sump/fuge and return pump kind of thing or do they have to be used with canister filters only?

jedimasterben

As far as the overflow part, Dave is spot on. For the outflow, though, you can use one, I did on my 55g tank for the longest time simply because it's what I had lol.

Be warned, though, that what you are seeing in all the beautiful pics of them on SW tanks is post-cleaning, which is not a quick thing. Within a few days they will be tinted green, and a few more they will be ugly as hell.

• Christopher Marks changed the title to tibbsy07 5.5 pico reef

Archived